Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CCTV placement advise

Am sorely tempted by this all in one kit ...

http://www.ebuyer.com/266654-swann-d...vr-500gb-with-
smartphone-viewing-and-4-x-swdvk-12004

It has 4 cameras, plus a dedicated DVR, so no need to faff around with my
media server, or worrying about USB hubs etc. The cameras are claimed to
be night/day, with onboard IR illumination, and weatherproof housings.

Now I live, in an "L" shaped bungalow, on the inside corner of an "L"
shaped cul-de-sac. So I effectively have 2 front gardens. The cameras
have a stated angle of 62degrees, so I reckon I'll need 3 to cover the
path outside the house, and round the corner. Which leaves one left over
to cover the (separate) garage.

Being a bungalow, I don't have any upper floors to easily use, nor a high
roof. At the moment, it seems my best bet would be to use my chimney
stack, which is pretty much at the centre of the roofline, and at the
apex of the "L". However, I have slight reservations about this approach,
since it advertises the presence of the system ... I would rather be
discreet. (Also I have no head for heights, so this would be a "get
someone in" job).

Anyone here suggest anything better, or comment on my plans ? Is there a
possibility of somehow sneaking the camera to peek from under a roof
tile, maybe ? Also, I don't like the idea of trusting to the
manufacturers "weatherproof", so maybe some enclosure is needed ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:

Being a bungalow, I don't have any upper floors to easily use, nor a high
roof. At the moment, it seems my best bet would be to use my chimney
stack, which is pretty much at the centre of the roofline, and at the
apex of the "L".

You won't see people close to the house. No good.
However, I have slight reservations about this approach,
since it advertises the presence of the system ... I would rather be
discreet.

The main function of domestic CCTV is as a deterrent. What else is it
good for?

Anyone here suggest anything better, or comment on my plans ? Is there a
possibility of somehow sneaking the camera to peek from under a roof
tile, maybe ? Also, I don't like the idea of trusting to the
manufacturers "weatherproof", so maybe some enclosure is needed ?

Easy enough to hide the camera in a false stackpipe, near the edge of
the roof.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
Jethro wrote:

Being a bungalow, I don't have any upper floors to easily use, nor
a high roof. At the moment, it seems my best bet would be to use my
chimney stack, which is pretty much at the centre of the roofline,
and at the apex of the "L".

You won't see people close to the house. No good.
However, I have slight reservations about this approach,
since it advertises the presence of the system ... I would rather be
discreet.

The main function of domestic CCTV is as a deterrent. What else is it
good for?

It cannot see through balavlavas. If you know it is there then you wear a
balaclava when doing something naughty.

Even without a balaclava face recongnition will be difficult from that
distance.

Anyone here suggest anything better, or comment on my plans ?

What do you want to protect/see and why? CCTV is personal to a persons
needs.

I have just managed to talk my Dad into spending a grand on a CCTV install
(and that is labour free). He claimed that he has nothing to protect that is
worth £1000 that is not insured.

I talked him round when I said he stood a better chance of finding out who
had broken into his house or garage (if it ever did happen) and fitting it
will annoy my Mum.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright writes:
Jethro wrote:

[...]

There are places you can put one which allow you to
get height of the person. One example is this:
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/20070213.132259.jpg
Looking at the floor, you can measure exactly how far in
front of the wall he is. Projecting an imaginary line
from the camera to the position on the brick wall in
line with his head, and allowing for how far in front
of the wall he is, you get his height. It's almost
like he's standing in front of a tape measure.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright writes:
Jethro wrote:

[...]

But would be no use in identifying the person if he wore a cap or a hoodie.

My covert camera covering the front door is just below face height.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote
Jethro wrote

Being a bungalow, I don't have any upper floors to easily use, nor a high roof. At the moment, it seems my best bet
would be to use my chimney stack, which is pretty much at the centre of the roofline, and at the apex of the "L".

You won't see people close to the house. No good.

However, I have slight reservations about this approach, since it advertises the presence of the system ... I would
rather be discreet.

The main function of domestic CCTV is as a deterrent. What else is it good for?

It can be useful for mug shots of the crims.

I got some with one, showed them to a mate of mine who was
a teacher at the local school, he recognised the crim instantly.

The school wouldnt allow him to tell me his name but
they were happy to tell the cops what his name was.

Anyone here suggest anything better, or comment on my plans ? Is
there a possibility of somehow sneaking the camera to peek from
under a roof tile, maybe ? Also, I don't like the idea of trusting to the manufacturers "weatherproof", so maybe some
enclosure is needed ?

Easy enough to hide the camera in a false stackpipe, near the edge of the roof.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2012 16:08, Jethro wrote:
[...]

Those camera probably use M12 threaded lenses, which are available in a
range of focal lengths, so it might be possible to increase the view
angle by replacing the lens. On the other hand this would void the
warranty, and might foul the flat piece of glass at the front, or
partially obscure the LEDs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RustyCrampon writes:
Those camera probably use M12 threaded lenses, which are available in a
range of focal lengths, so it might be possible to increase the view
angle by replacing the lens. On the other hand this would void the
warranty, and might foul the flat piece of glass at the front, or
partially obscure the LEDs.

and it will reduce the size and detail of the objects it does see,
as a result of seeing more of them.

--
Andrew Gabriel