Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT : Problems with LG NAS...

HI folks

The new LG N2A2DD2 NAS has been running without a hitch since Christmas,
with the very excellent BVCKUP backup software.

This morning, all of the backups had errored....

Tried to browse the NAS - I can log into it (as Admin) , but it says
that 'You don't have read permission' to view the shared data -
which is where BVCKUP has been saving its backups to.

BVCKUP is saying 'failed to create destination directory'

The Admin permissions appear to be allowing me all access to the Shared
area - and re-enabling permissions doesn't change things.

There's comments on the web about the flakyness of the LG NAS software -
and I have a ticket into LG's Tech Support - but, while I wait,
has anybody got any ideas, please ?

Thinking about it - perhaps what I really, really need is just a BIG
USB-connected hard drive - and CPC can have the LG Nas (and it's
dreadful software) back....

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 15:20:19 +0000
Adrian Brentnall wrote:

[...]

Ok, I'll bite. What is an LG N2A2DD2 NAS ? Some kind of computerised
gas boiler or metal cutter?
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Mar 2012 18:29:40 GMT

On 2012-03-03, Davey wrote:

Ok, I'll bite. What is an LG N2A2DD2 NAS ? Some kind of computerised
gas boiler or metal cutter?

Network Attached Storage.

BFO disk drives hanging off a network.

Ha so. I wondered what something with that sort of name was doing in a
d-i-y group.
Thanks.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

Dump it and get a linux machine running something like a ATOM board for
low power and install SAMBA

At leasts if it ****s up you can fix it.

Your not the first person to lose all their data on a NAS..

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

Thanks....
At the time I bought it , it looked like a bargain -
given that it contained 2 x 1TB drives.

Trouble is - it's a mare to set up, and now it seems it won't let me
access the data on those disks - which is kind of pointless g

Have pressed a 'spare' 250GB USB disk into service for backups -
but, as I say, a bigger USB-connected drive would be simpler to set up
than the NAS, and would do all that I need...

Zero response from LG support....

Thanks
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2012 07:41, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo. It does not like power cuts and can
spend several hours checking the HDs when switched on after a power cut.
There is a good support forum though. I think that the Synology and Qnap
products are also worth looking at.

One problem with the ReadyNAS Duo is that the disk drives can not easily
be read by a Linux PC. It might be worth your which to check the
position with the LG.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 March 2012 00:58:29 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

100% agree. Run it as a headless file server tucked in somewhere like the cupboard under the stairs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I forgot to mention. Manage it with Webmin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

82045 wrote:
I forgot to mention. Manage it with Webmin.

Real Men use Telnet.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 17:39:12 +0000, Michael Chare
mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote:

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo. It does not like power cuts and can
spend several hours checking the HDs when switched on after a power cut.

Why haven't you got it on a UPS with an ordered shutdown on power
loss?

There is a good support forum though. I think that the Synology and Qnap
products are also worth looking at.

One problem with the ReadyNAS Duo is that the disk drives can not easily
be read by a Linux PC. It might be worth your which to check the
position with the LG.

That's surprising given that the Netgear ReadyNAS boxes run linux, is
it because of x-raid?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 22:49:08 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

82045 wrote:
I forgot to mention. Manage it with Webmin.

Real Men use Telnet.

ssh.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

82045 wrote:
I forgot to mention. Manage it with Webmin.

Real Men use Telnet.

ssh.

:-)

I was going to say real men us lynx as well...but then I reconsidered it.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

82045 wrote:
I forgot to mention. Manage it with Webmin.

Real Men use Telnet.

ssh.

Pah.

A real man crafts his own IP packets.
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

82045 wrote:
I forgot to mention. Manage it with Webmin.
Real Men use Telnet.

ssh.

Pah.

A real man crafts his own IP packets.

No. That I draw a line at.
Next you will say that real men purify their own silicon..and mine their
own copper..

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2012 23:56, The Other Mike wrote:
On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 17:39:12 +0000, Michael Chare
mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote:

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo. It does not like power cuts and can
spend several hours checking the HDs when switched on after a power cut.

Why haven't you got it on a UPS with an ordered shutdown on power
loss?

There is a good support forum though. I think that the Synology and Qnap
products are also worth looking at.

One problem with the ReadyNAS Duo is that the disk drives can not easily
be read by a Linux PC. It might be worth your which to check the
position with the LG.

That's surprising given that the Netgear ReadyNAS boxes run linux, is
it because of x-raid?

Nope, they are LVM partitions. I managed some FUSE driver trickery to
mount a drive in Ubuntu and sucessfuly get the data of. Details in the
ReadyNas forum.

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewto...p?f=25&t=24861

I now effectively run two NAS's, they back each other up as well as
other machines around here. Hard drive replacements are getting a little
expensive though.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 March 2012 22:49:08 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
82045 wrote:
I forgot to mention. Manage it with Webmin.

Real Men use Telnet.

I'm just bone idle. . . . . and proud of it.