Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default old cement

Hi,

I've been having a spring clean of my garage and found half a bag of
mastercrete cement. I always buy cement in that brand because I figure
the plastic bag must keep moisture out better than a paper bag;
especially when it is used for infrequent DIY use. Or am I wrong about
that?

The bag says use by September 2011. Should I throw it away? It is
still powder; it has not set in one big lump. OTOH I think I read a
post here once that said old cement would not set as strong. Is that
right?

I haven't got any projects lined up, so I suppose it will be even more
out of date by the time I come to use it. Perhaps I should just buy
fresh when I need it? But you can bet the moment I throw it away, I
will need it!

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

Hi,

I've been having a spring clean of my garage and found half a bag of
mastercrete cement. I always buy cement in that brand because I figure
the plastic bag must keep moisture out better than a paper bag;
especially when it is used for infrequent DIY use. Or am I wrong about
that?

The bag says use by September 2011. Should I throw it away? It is
still powder; it has not set in one big lump. OTOH I think I read a
post here once that said old cement would not set as strong. Is that
right?

I haven't got any projects lined up, so I suppose it will be even more
out of date by the time I come to use it. Perhaps I should just buy
fresh when I need it? But you can bet the moment I throw it away, I
will need it!

TIA

Not lumpy is a good start - but the open bag will have admitted moisture
laden air.

The results of this may be that the cement sets faster than usual.

In the worst case you can use it for less critical jobs - the least critical
being "postcrete" where you could use any old ****e.

For other jobs, make a trial mix of a small amount and see how fast it sets.
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
Fred wrote:

[...]

I've never noticed any difference in setting time (unlike plaster).
What I rather imagined is that some of the powder has effectively
become already set cement. If this is the case, you can compensate
by making a stronger mix, but you won't have any qualitative way to
determine how much stronger, and it's probably not happened evenly
thoughout the bag, so as Tim says, keep it for something non-critical.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
Fred wrote:

[...]

+1

That is broadly my experiences. You need a bit more cement to compensate
for the bits that have already hydrated.

In the cement mixer, you tend to end up with large lumps that you can
remove by hand, and a a lot of fine sized lumps, which rather replace
the sand as the matrix, slightly weakening the final strength. That is
really not an issue for most uses - if the bag can be mixed at all, a
usable mortar results. If in doubt use some fresh as well. Overall
setting time is not affected. either parts of the cement have set, or
they haven't. They are not 'half set' in any meaningful way.

so unless you are casting stressed concrete members I would not be
overly concerned. My experience is that either the bag is 90%+ usable (
makeye a crust round it which can be broken up ) or its 90%+ unsuable
(its a fused mass of cement where its been exposed to a lot of damp).

The recoverable cement fom the latter case is too small to be worth the
attempt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 26, 2:08*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
* *Tim Watts writes:
Fred wrote:

[...]

Can I quote you three for a wiki page on this?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NT writes:
Can I quote you three for a wiki page on this?

We used to have a cement chemist in the newsgroup many years ago...
I wonder what happened to John Schmitt?

His FAQ is still in the waybackmachine...
http://web.archive.org/web/200901070...n49/cemfaq.htm

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Feb 26, 2:08 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
Fred wrote:
[...]

Of course.

I didnt think it was that unusual.
NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You can buy cheap 5L 20L 25L drums intended for liquid on Ebay - ok
for finer free-running powders. Alternatively there are bigger 30L
drums with wide neck, some with steel band fastening and seal quite
well. Great for buying in bulk when you know the job is going to be "a
bit at a time".

The sheds do plastic self seal tubs for cement & mortar, overpriced,
but the tubs do keep stuff fresh and can be refilled with the lid
remaining reliable.

Homebase... 12x25mm stripwood £8.99... B&Q £2.99... car park empty,
more staff than customers, do not carry everything to complete a
common DIY task... sigh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message ...

Hi,

I've been having a spring clean of my garage and found half a bag of
mastercrete cement. I always buy cement in that brand because I figure
the plastic bag must keep moisture out better than a paper bag;
especially when it is used for infrequent DIY use. Or am I wrong about
that?

The bag says use by September 2011. Should I throw it away? It is
still powder; it has not set in one big lump. OTOH I think I read a
post here once that said old cement would not set as strong. Is that
right?

I haven't got any projects lined up, so I suppose it will be even more
out of date by the time I come to use it. Perhaps I should just buy
fresh when I need it? But you can bet the moment I throw it away, I
will need it!

TIA

So far I've used three pallets of Mastercrete that was well out of date
(several years) with no perceptible problem. But at £2 per bag and 180 bags
you can afford to pop a bit more in the mix G

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hi,

I've been having a spring clean of my garage and found half a bag of
mastercrete cement. I always buy cement in that brand because I figure
the plastic bag must keep moisture out better than a paper bag;
especially when it is used for infrequent DIY use. Or am I wrong about
that?

The bag says use by September 2011. Should I throw it away? It is
still powder; it has not set in one big lump. OTOH I think I read a
post here once that said old cement would not set as strong. Is that
right?

I haven't got any projects lined up, so I suppose it will be even more
out of date by the time I come to use it. Perhaps I should just buy
fresh when I need it? But you can bet the moment I throw it away, I
will need it!

TIA

Don't risk it. Sometimes it will set and look OK but it has no strength.

Bill

hydraulic cement --- expansive cement --- cracking? Matt[_7_] Home Repair 31 June 26th 20 01:39 AM
Removing contact adhesive cement/mortar floor, repairing cement Clive UK diy 3 October 16th 08 04:25 PM
PVA in cement Guy King UK diy 10 May 24th 06 10:30 AM
Cement Backer Board on Cement Subfloor? [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 6th 05 01:38 AM
Cement sploop UK diy 15 December 7th 04 11:56 PM