Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Query on clock restoration

I've done a bit of restoration on a Vienna clock case and am about to
remount the mechanism which is weights driven.

It would seem sensible to replace the cords for these weights while I
have the mechanism out. Does anyone know if this is a specific cord
and where I can get it ?

Thanks
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
I've done a bit of restoration on a Vienna clock case and am about to
remount the mechanism which is weights driven.

It would seem sensible to replace the cords for these weights while I
have the mechanism out. Does anyone know if this is a specific cord
and where I can get it ?

Thanks
Rob

In the 1950s my father restrung the weights of my Vienna regulator clock
with fine nylon fishing line. It's still going strong. Of course, you may
prefer the look of the intended cord.

Stephen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2012 14:04, Stephen Mawson wrote:
wrote in message
I've done a bit of restoration on a Vienna clock case and am about to
remount the mechanism which is weights driven.

It would seem sensible to replace the cords for these weights while I
have the mechanism out. Does anyone know if this is a specific cord
and where I can get it ?

Thanks
Rob

In the 1950s my father restrung the weights of my Vienna regulator clock
with fine nylon fishing line. It's still going strong. Of course, you may
prefer the look of the intended cord.

Stephen

UV light is one of the things which causes materials to deteriorate, but
this is probably quite well protected. I'm quite surprised that Nylon
"monofil" has lasted so well, I think I would go for a proper cord.
Presumably the weights are about a pound? I would think about cotton,
linen, or polyester thread. Cobblers or sewing shops do "repair kits"
for briefcases, belts, etc with ten metres or so of strong and often
waxex thread. Going up in size, how about this 1 mm nylon cord?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-1mm-Nyl...item5648d73922
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
I've done a bit of restoration on a Vienna clock case and am about to
remount the mechanism which is weights driven.

It would seem sensible to replace the cords for these weights while I
have the mechanism out. Does anyone know if this is a specific cord
and where I can get it ?

Thanks
Rob

In my yoof my dad always used nylon braided sea fishing line.

These days you can get Kevlar..

this is good as it doesn't stretch much, and you get great strength on
small and flexible diameteres.

I would assume the originals were probably cotton or linen spun. I
wouldnt go there..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher explained on 24/02/2012 :
robgraham wrote:
I've done a bit of restoration on a Vienna clock case and am about to
remount the mechanism which is weights driven.

It would seem sensible to replace the cords for these weights while I
have the mechanism out. Does anyone know if this is a specific cord
and where I can get it ?

Thanks
Rob

In my yoof my dad always used nylon braided sea fishing line.

These days you can get Kevlar..

this is good as it doesn't stretch much, and you get great strength on small
and flexible diameteres.

I would assume the originals were probably cotton or linen spun. I wouldnt go
there..

Would the nylon braided cord work, as is used for pull cord switches as
used in bathrooms? Any electrical wholesaler should stock it.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

robgraham wrote:
I've done a bit of restoration on a Vienna clock case and am about to
remount the mechanism which is weights driven.

It would seem sensible to replace the cords for these weights while I
have the mechanism out. Does anyone know if this is a specific cord
and where I can get it ?

Thanks
Rob

In my yoof my dad always used nylon braided sea fishing line.

These days you can get Kevlar..

this is good as it doesn't stretch much, and you get great strength on
small and flexible diameteres.

I would assume the originals were probably cotton or linen spun. I
wouldnt go there..

Would the nylon braided cord work, as is used for pull cord switches as
used in bathrooms? Any electrical wholesaler should stock it.

Almost any type of `cord` will work but if you google it there are
plenty of suppliers of the proper `cord` I think nowadays most use
either a nylon or a metal type. the last thing you want is the cord
snapping and going through the bottom of the case.
I last bought some several years ago for a couple of old weight driven
signal box clocks, the weights are several kilos each (they are stored
at the moment) but I am sure it was a nylon type cord.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
I've done a bit of restoration on a Vienna clock case and am about to
remount the mechanism which is weights driven.

It would seem sensible to replace the cords for these weights while I
have the mechanism out. Does anyone know if this is a specific cord
and where I can get it ?

Thanks
Rob

In my yoof my dad always used nylon braided sea fishing line.

These days you can get Kevlar..

this is good as it doesn't stretch much, and you get great strength on
small and flexible diameteres.

I would assume the originals were probably cotton or linen spun. I
wouldnt go there..

Would the nylon braided cord work, as is used for pull cord switches as
used in bathrooms? Any electrical wholesaler should stock it.

that is the sort of stuff he used, yes.

But fishing shops carry a bigger range.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In my yoof my dad always used nylon braided sea fishing line.

These days you can get Kevlar..

this is good as it doesn't stretch much, and you get great strength on
small and flexible diameteres.

I wouldn't go there. Kevlar doesn't like being flexed repeatedly. I
used to have a Kevlar halliard. Great for non-stretch, but broke every
six months.

I would assume the originals were probably cotton or linen spun. I
wouldnt go there..

I'm with you on that. OP wants a woven, not a spun, cord. These are
low loads, and the stretch probably doesn't matter very much.
Cotton/linen for authenticity, nylon/terylene for life.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:

In my yoof my dad always used nylon braided sea fishing line.

These days you can get Kevlar..

this is good as it doesn't stretch much, and you get great strength on
small and flexible diameteres.

I wouldn't go there. Kevlar doesn't like being flexed repeatedly. I
used to have a Kevlar halliard. Great for non-stretch, but broke every
six months.

I would assume the originals were probably cotton or linen spun. I
wouldnt go there..

I'm with you on that. OP wants a woven, not a spun, cord. These are
low loads, and the stretch probably doesn't matter very much.
Cotton/linen for authenticity, nylon/terylene for life.

kevlar for sheer bragging rights.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2012 13:21, robgraham wrote:
I've done a bit of restoration on a Vienna clock case and am about to
remount the mechanism which is weights driven.

It would seem sensible to replace the cords for these weights while I
have the mechanism out. Does anyone know if this is a specific cord
and where I can get it ?

Baler twine? A Halfords towrope? Climbing rope? Knotted lengths of
pubic hair from Venezuelan maidens? What is it about clock repairs that
brings out the bodger in so many otherwise careful and thoughtful
d-i-yers who have replied to this question?

Somewhere like Meadows and Passmore, or Cousins Material House, or
Thomas's, or H S Walsh, all sell stuff they'll call "Vienna Gut Line" or
some permutation of two out of the three words. Some sell a synthetic
material, most will also sell a natural gut, which looks better on a
nice clock. Five or six quid, at a guess.

--
Kevin Poole

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 21:28:48 +0000, Kevin
wrote:

[...]

Obviously it should be oxygen free, with a uniform gravitational
constant and a minimised coefficient of thermal expansion.

Try your local Hi Fi shop, it'l be on the rack between the speaker
cables and snake oil.

:-}

HN
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Somewhere like Meadows and Passmore, or Cousins Material House, or
Thomas's, or H S Walsh, all sell stuff they'll call "Vienna Gut Line" or
some permutation of two out of the three words. Some sell a synthetic
material, most will also sell a natural gut, which looks better on a
nice clock. Five or six quid, at a guess.

Obviously it should be oxygen free, with a uniform gravitational
constant and a minimised coefficient of thermal expansion.

And hypo-allergenic, and sustainable! Don't forget that.

Excellent advice from Kevin, BTW.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 24, 1:21*pm, robgraham wrote:
Does anyone know if this is a specific cord
and where I can get it ?

Anything.

Ideally anything long-lasting and smooth surfaced. Braids are usually
better than laid (twisted) cordage. UV-sensitivity is bad.