Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default usb socket printer repair

Hi,

My printer has a USB B socket. Somehow I managed to plug the plug in
upside down. I don't know how; I don't remember using excessive force.
I noticed that one of the pins in the socket was bent. I have
straightened it with some long nose pliers. However, when I try to use
the printer now, I get a message from the print manager that "the usb
status of the printer is not available" and it will not print.

I was thinking of soldering a new socket on but now that I have
straightened the pin, I can't see this would make any difference. Is
it likely I have fried something in the printer or is it repairable?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2012 13:43, Fred wrote:
Hi,

My printer has a USB B socket. Somehow I managed to plug the plug in
upside down. I don't know how; I don't remember using excessive force.
I noticed that one of the pins in the socket was bent. I have
straightened it with some long nose pliers. However, when I try to use
the printer now, I get a message from the print manager that "the usb
status of the printer is not available" and it will not print.

I was thinking of soldering a new socket on but now that I have
straightened the pin, I can't see this would make any difference. Is
it likely I have fried something in the printer or is it repairable?

Given the layout of the pattern B connector, a 180 degree rotation would
have connected the power rails to the data connections on the printer.
The "high" signal voltage on the data line is not expected to exceed
3.6V, so the application of 5V may have done something to upset its line
interface...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also make sure the USB on the puter will drive other printers, as at least
in the earluy days of usb, getting connections wrong fried the interface
itself.
Brian

Email:

"John Rumm" wrote in message