Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Newsgroup providers (slightly OT)

Anyone else had problems with news.individual.net? Lost my access a few
days ago, emailed them (no response) but it came back for a day, then
went again. No response to other emails. Back on-line with Astraweb.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2012 21:40, newshound wrote:
Anyone else had problems with news.individual.net? Lost my access a few
days ago, emailed them (no response) but it came back for a day, then
went again. No response to other emails. Back on-line with Astraweb.

Sod's law, it's working again. But I have cancelled my subscription now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-02-16, Newshound wrote:
Anyone else had problems with news.individual.net? Lost my access a few
days ago, emailed them (no response) but it came back for a day, then
went again. No response to other emails. Back on-line with Astraweb.

Sod's law, it's working again. But I have cancelled my subscription now.

Have you checked your spam folder? You did get a reply to both your
emails. Same problem both times: you were trying to authenticate with
your password in the username field. Unless you've been fiddling with
your newsreader configuration in an attempt to get things to work, you
may have hit an occasional but hard-to-reproduce Thunderbird bug. The
Mozilla groups will have more about that; recently, one of our users
reported success after deleting the file signons.sqlite from his
Thunderbird profile. YMMV.

Regards,
Florian Schlichting

--
News.Individual.NET Administration
WWW: http://news.individual.net/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-02-16, Newshound wrote:
Anyone else had problems with news.individual.net? Lost my access a few
days ago, emailed them (no response) but it came back for a day, then
went again. No response to other emails. Back on-line with Astraweb.

Sod's law, it's working again. But I have cancelled my subscription now.

Have you checked your spam folder? You did get a reply to both your
emails. Same problem both times: you were trying to authenticate with
your password in the username field. Unless you've been fiddling with
your newsreader configuration in an attempt to get things to work, you
may have hit an occasional but hard-to-reproduce Thunderbird bug. The
Mozilla groups will have more about that; recently, one of our users
reported success after deleting the file signons.sqlite from his
Thunderbird profile. YMMV.

Regards,
Florian Schlichting

Thank you for the reply; as others have said, that's very impressive
support. But, I don't have a spam folder. I'm sure your explanation of
my mistake is correct (although I don't understand why I suddenly got
started being asked to authenticate). Does sound consistent with a
Thunderbird bug. Couldn't find that file in my system.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge :
On 2012-02-16, Newshound wrote:
Anyone else had problems with news.individual.net? Lost my access a few
days ago, emailed them (no response) but it came back for a day, then
went again. No response to other emails. Back on-line with Astraweb.

Sod's law, it's working again. But I have cancelled my subscription now.

Have you checked your spam folder? You did get a reply to both your
emails. Same problem both times: you were trying to authenticate with
your password in the username field. Unless you've been fiddling with
your newsreader configuration in an attempt to get things to work, you
may have hit an occasional but hard-to-reproduce Thunderbird bug. The
Mozilla groups will have more about that; recently, one of our users
reported success after deleting the file signons.sqlite from his
Thunderbird profile. YMMV.

Regards,
Florian Schlichting

[NIN Admin follows up to newsgroup; Colour me impressed]

And in a not-even-vaguely-related group. Gobsmacked.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 17, 11:12 am, Mike Barnes wrote:
Huge :

On 2012-02-17, News.Individual.NET Administration wrote:
On 2012-02-16, Newshound wrote:
[...]

shurely trivial to spot their own name in posts being passed thru
them?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K :

On 2012-02-17, News.Individual.NET Administration
wrote:
On 2012-02-16, Newshound wrote:
[...]

Technically simple, yes. Most companies wouldn't bother, though.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 21:40:42 +0000, newshound wrote:

Anyone else had problems with news.individual.net? Lost my access a few
days ago, emailed them (no response) but it came back for a day, then
went again. No response to other emails. Back on-line with Astraweb.

It's been OK all the time here.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone else had problems with news.individual.net? Lost my access a few
days ago, emailed them (no response) but it came back for a day, then
went again. No response to other emails. Back on-line with Astraweb.

Hasn't been not working - just not working as well as usual. Lots of posts
seemed to be significantly delayed - but looks to have recovered now.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone else had problems with news.individual.net? Lost my access a
few days ago, emailed them (no response) but it came back for a day,
then went again. No response to other emails. Back on-line with Astraweb.

Hasn't been not working - just not working as well as usual. Lots of
posts seemed to be significantly delayed - but looks to have recovered now.

Posts from Google, maybe? They've been having problems talking to usenet
recently.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone else had problems with news.individual.net? Lost my access a
few days ago, emailed them (no response) but it came back for a day,
then went again. No response to other emails. Back on-line with Astraweb.

Hasn't been not working - just not working as well as usual. Lots of
posts seemed to be significantly delayed - but looks to have recovered now.

Not uncommon with a fragged server: stuff gets queued.

Generally takes a day or to to sort out and queue flush etc.
They should have said so though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
22:22:43 on Thu, 16 Feb 2012, polygonum
remarked:
Anyone else had problems with news.individual.net? Lost my access a
few days ago, emailed them (no response) but it came back for a day,
then went again. No response to other emails. Back on-line with
Astraweb.

Hasn't been not working - just not working as well as usual. Lots of
posts seemed to be significantly delayed - but looks to have recovered
now.

I had a problem between 2bd and 7th Feb, but that seemed to be Google
not sending postings out, rather than individual.net not passing them on
to me.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:16:06 -0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at
22:22:43 on Thu, 16 Feb 2012, polygonum
remarked:
Anyone else had problems with news.individual.net? Lost my access a
few days ago, emailed them (no response) but it came back for a day,
then went again. No response to other emails. Back on-line with
Astraweb.

Hasn't been not working - just not working as well as usual. Lots of
posts seemed to be significantly delayed - but looks to have recovered
now.

I had a problem between 2bd and 7th Feb, but that seemed to be Google
not sending postings out, rather than individual.net not passing them on
to me.

Maybe - but had thought (false memory?) the catch-up burst of posts
included many regulars few of whom usually use Google interfaces.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2012 08:54, Brian Gaff wrote:
Tried Etermal september? Or do you need binary?

Brian

I had a similar problem with September, however it was Mozilla
Thunderbird, a know fault, I updated to the latest Beta version, that
seems to have fixed it.