Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default more on electricity generation

It looks very much as though the 'other' dial in gridwatch is in fact
two out of three biomass (wood pellet) burners that represent the 'new'
Tilbury power station (the one the greens want to close IIRC).

http://www.rwe.com/web/cms/en/120351...neration-data/

They were due to come onstream this winter and it looks like they have.

So: at this snapshot in time -

'Renewable energy' is comprised of:

Hydro 878MW
Wood burning 510MW
Wind 34MW
PV 0MW

about 1400MW

We are exporting more than that to the continent and total demand is
56.5GW..

So less than 0.1% of demand is being met by wind power...and absolutely
nothing from solar PV.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It looks very much as though the 'other' dial in gridwatch is in fact
two out of three biomass (wood pellet) burners that represent the 'new'
Tilbury power station (the one the greens want to close IIRC).

http://www.rwe.com/web/cms/en/120351...neration-data/

They were due to come onstream this winter and it looks like they have.

So: at this snapshot in time -

'Renewable energy' is comprised of:

Hydro 878MW
Wood burning 510MW
Wind 34MW
PV 0MW

about 1400MW

We are exporting more than that to the continent and total demand is
56.5GW..

So less than 0.1% of demand is being met by wind power...and absolutely
nothing from solar PV.

Well it looks like there's going to be another 700MW 8 miles off
Brighton beach.

http://www.eon-uk.com/generation/rampion.aspx

Bloody fantastic !

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher
escribió:

Wood burning 510MW

That's a lot of wood. Is it the stuff that gets collected in recycling
centres (tips to you and me) ?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 18:05:47 +0000, Andy Cap wrote:

It looks very much as though the 'other' dial in gridwatch is in fact
two out of three biomass (wood pellet) burners that represent the 'new'
Tilbury power station (the one the greens want to close IIRC).

http://www.rwe.com/web/cms/en/120351...-drive/united-

kingdom/generation-data/

They were due to come onstream this winter and it looks like they have.

So: at this snapshot in time -

'Renewable energy' is comprised of:

Hydro 878MW
Wood burning 510MW
Wind 34MW
PV 0MW

about 1400MW

We are exporting more than that to the continent and total demand is
56.5GW..

So less than 0.1% of demand is being met by wind power...and absolutely
nothing from solar PV.

Well it looks like there's going to be another 700MW 8 miles off
Brighton beach.

http://www.eon-uk.com/generation/rampion.aspx

Bloody fantastic !

We already have them off our coast. And more coming.

No advantage in mving back to Brighton for me, then!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

Wood burning 510MW

That's a lot of wood. Is it the stuff that gets collected in recycling
centres (tips to you and me) ?

No. That'll be trees that are imported from foreign parts.

Biomass is a decidedly non-green form of generation. The UK can't
produce anything like enough material to feed them, so most of it is
imported, maybe from well managed woods, maybe not. The emission
quality is also rather suspect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , The Natural Philosopher
escribió:

Wood burning 510MW

That's a lot of wood. Is it the stuff that gets collected in recycling
centres (tips to you and me) ?

I dunno - its says its wood pellets so presumably sawdust recycled as
briquettes or something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Cap wrote:
[...]

Fantasy yes...

they will generate nothing but subsidy.

Andy C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Bob Eager
escribió:

We already have them off our coast. And more coming.

No advantage in mving back to Brighton for me, then!

Back feed 'em in summer. Hey presto, air con for the whole town ;-)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 17:50:41 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

It looks very much as though the 'other' dial in gridwatch is in fact
two out of three biomass (wood pellet) burners that represent the 'new'
Tilbury power station (the one the greens want to close IIRC).

http://www.rwe.com/web/cms/en/120351...neration-data/

They were due to come onstream this winter and it looks like they have.

One more snippet I picked up from a contact.

There is a difference between what RWE report for Tilbury and what
gets reported in 'other' at bmreports. I've seen about 60MW
difference, even when on steady load,

The Eon owned "Steven's Croft" at Lockerbie is Biomass, rated at
44MW and accounts for some of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It looks very much as though the 'other' dial in gridwatch is in fact
two out of three biomass (wood pellet) burners that represent the 'new'
Tilbury power station (the one the greens want to close IIRC).

http://www.rwe.com/web/cms/en/120351...neration-data/

They were due to come onstream this winter and it looks like they have.

One more snippet I picked up from a contact.

There is a difference between what RWE report for Tilbury and what
gets reported in 'other' at bmreports. I've seen about 60MW
difference, even when on steady load,

The Eon owned "Steven's Croft" at Lockerbie is Biomass, rated at
44MW and accounts for some of it.

That could be it.

Or it may be that there is a gross/net imbalance due to transmission
losses etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 18:51:12 +0000, Bill Taylor
wrote:

Wood burning 510MW

That's a lot of wood. Is it the stuff that gets collected in recycling
centres (tips to you and me) ?

No. That'll be trees that are imported from foreign parts.

Biomass is a decidedly non-green form of generation. The UK can't
produce anything like enough material to feed them, so most of it is
imported, maybe from well managed woods, maybe not. The emission
quality is also rather suspect.

For some years 'home-grown' biomass has been produced under the
auspices of the Energy Crops Scheme and consists of miscanthus
(elephant grass) or SRC (short rotation coppice). The scheme provides
50% funding of startup costs. The last report I saw indicated that
just under 1000 hectares of land in England was under miscanthus and a
bit over 300 ha under SRC.
--
rbel

More fun with power generation. The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 1 March 11th 11 08:36 AM
OT Electricity Generation TMC[_2_] UK diy 252 November 3rd 10 11:32 PM
PAT 25A generation? Geo[_2_] UK diy 3 May 2nd 09 08:55 PM
Saving electricity. in Doorbell always uses electricity! willshak Home Repair 0 November 21st 08 04:10 PM
Third party electricity meter to verify electricity bills New Question Home Repair 6 November 24th 04 08:27 AM