Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sheds and fence panels

Just a random thought passing through my mind.

Why do the sheds all stock fence panels ranging from 3' upwards, when
most people use a 2' panel and a 1' concrete panel to stay within the 1m
limit?

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why do the sheds all stock fence panels ranging from 3' upwards, when
most people use a 2' panel and a 1' concrete panel to stay within the
1m limit?

Because the "limit" of 1m applies only to fences adjacent to a highway.
Elsewhere it is 2m. And both are only "limits" in the sense that
planning permission is required for soemthing higher. See
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...ceswallsgates/

And I doubt most people use double height concrete gravel boards:
apart from the aesthetics at 50kg or so they are beyond the safe working
limit for one [normal] person.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2012 00:39, Steve Walker wrote:
Just a random thought passing through my mind.

Why do the sheds all stock fence panels ranging from 3' upwards, when
most people use a 2' panel and a 1' concrete panel to stay within the 1m
limit?

My fences are 2m high - a 6ft panel on a 6" concrete gravel board. Of
course, none of those are next to a highway, which is the only place
where you are limited to 1m without planning permission.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 11:44:54 -0000, Nightjar
wrote:

On 05/02/2012 00:39, Steve Walker wrote:
Just a random thought passing through my mind.

Why do the sheds all stock fence panels ranging from 3' upwards, when
most people use a 2' panel and a 1' concrete panel to stay within the 1m
limit?

My fences are 2m high - a 6ft panel on a 6" concrete gravel board. Of
course, none of those are next to a highway, which is the only place
where you are limited to 1m without planning permission.

Colin Bignell

What complicates that is the definition of "highway". And, indeed, "next
to".

Our front garden has a footpath in front that divides from the house
opposite. I think even that footpath qualifies as a highway. We have put
up a fence there, around 5 foot high, but not immediately at the edge of
the path. Not at all sure whether that is allowed. We decided to chance
our arm as so many places have hedges way over 2 metres high and it is not
impacting visibility for traffic, etc. Also, it is an open trellis-type
fence which reduces its visual impact considerably.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What 1M limit is that then?

Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
Just a random thought passing through my mind.

Why do the sheds all stock fence panels ranging from 3' upwards, when most
people use a 2' panel and a 1' concrete panel to stay within the 1m limit?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
writes
Just a random thought passing through my mind.

Why do the sheds all stock fence panels ranging from 3' upwards, when
most people use a 2' panel and a 1' concrete panel to stay within the
1m limit?

SteveW

Because they are run by accountants.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/02/2012 00:39, Steve Walker wrote:
Just a random thought passing through my mind.

Why do the sheds all stock fence panels ranging from 3' upwards, when
most people use a 2' panel and a 1' concrete panel to stay within the 1m
limit?

My fences are 2m high - a 6ft panel on a 6" concrete gravel board. Of
course, none of those are next to a highway, which is the only place
where you are limited to 1m without planning permission.

Colin Bignell

What complicates that is the definition of "highway". And, indeed, "next
to".
Our front garden has a footpath in front that divides from the house
opposite. I think even that footpath qualifies as a highway.

In planning law, a highway includes all roads, footpaths, bridleways and
the like over which the public have a right to pass. However, the
restriction that limits a fence to 1m high without specific planning
permission only applies to fences adjacent to a highway that is used by
vehicles.

We have put
up a fence there, around 5 foot high, but not immediately at the edge of
the path. Not at all sure whether that is allowed.

The fact that it is not a highway used by vehicles means that 2m high
fences are permitted. I'm not sure how far a fence would need to be from
a boundary not to count as a boundary fence, but I would expect that
anything within 1m of the boundary would definitely count as a boundary
fence for planning purposes.

We decided to chance
our arm as so many places have hedges way over 2 metres high and it is
not impacting visibility for traffic, etc. Also, it is an open
trellis-type fence which reduces its visual impact considerably.

The height of hedges is not covered by the legislation that limits fence
heights, so that is no guide.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Tried to interpret the planning portal (whatever it is called), and ended
up not being at all sure whether it applied or not. Good to know, thanks.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2012 07:37, Robin wrote:
Why do the sheds all stock fence panels ranging from 3' upwards, when
most people use a 2' panel and a 1' concrete panel to stay within the
1m limit?

Because the "limit" of 1m applies only to fences adjacent to a highway.
Elsewhere it is 2m. And both are only "limits" in the sense that
planning permission is required for soemthing higher. See
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...ceswallsgates/

I know that, but most people can't be bothered with PP and stick to a 3'
fence at the front. When one gets damaged (I once had a drunken lesbian
attack a neighbour, thinking it was her partner and then fall through my
fence when being restrained) you can't nip to the sheds that are open
late or on Sunday, as none of them stock 2' at all.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2012 12:22, Brian Gaff wrote:
What 1M limit is that then?

Brian

The one that covers boundary fences or walls which face onto a highway.
Any higher (or 2m for a one not facing a highway) needs planning
permission.

Hence why people frequently have 3' at the front and 6' at the back.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 22:45:44 -0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 05/02/2012 12:22, Brian Gaff wrote:
What 1M limit is that then?

Brian

The one that covers boundary fences or walls which face onto a highway.
Any higher (or 2m for a one not facing a highway) needs planning
permission.

Hence why people frequently have 3' at the front and 6' at the back.

SteveW

Quite number of properties round here have fences dividing plots which
are high and slope down along the last panel or two to be one metre before
the highway boundary.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
writes
Just a random thought passing through my mind.

Why do the sheds all stock fence panels ranging from 3' upwards, when
most people use a 2' panel and a 1' concrete panel to stay within the
1m limit?

SteveW

How many are you looking for and where to the nearest county are you
base?
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2012 15:54, hugh wrote:
In message , Steve Walker
writes
Just a random thought passing through my mind.

Why do the sheds all stock fence panels ranging from 3' upwards, when
most people use a 2' panel and a 1' concrete panel to stay within the
1m limit?

SteveW

How many are you looking for and where to the nearest county are you base?

I'm not looking for any thanks. I have a couple of local suppliers, but
they are not always open at convenient times and I've had a few
occassions where I've needed a single panel due to accident or weather
damage. A quick trip to one of the local sheds would have been easy,
except that none of them stock 2'. In the end I've had to finish work
early to pick one up.

SteveW