Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y

Default Windows 7 not genuine? [a bit OT for uk.d-i-y]

My Dell laptop, which came new with Genuine Windows 7 Professional (32
bit) pre-loaded just under 2 years ago, has suddenly - as of today -
started displaying a message in the bottom RH corner of the screen
saying "Windows 7 / Build 7601 / This copy of Windows is not genuine"

It's got the official MS sticker on the bottom to prove otherwise!

Anyone any idea what might have caused this, and what - if anything - I
need to do about it?

TIA.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2012 19:50, Roger Mills wrote:
My Dell laptop, which came new with Genuine Windows 7 Professional (32
bit) pre-loaded just under 2 years ago, has suddenly - as of today -
started displaying a message in the bottom RH corner of the screen
saying "Windows 7 / Build 7601 / This copy of Windows is not genuine"

It's got the official MS sticker on the bottom to prove otherwise!

Anyone any idea what might have caused this, and what - if anything - I
need to do about it?

Have you altered the hardware at all?

Try the M$ Genuine Diagnostics Tool at:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

David

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
writes
My Dell laptop, which came new with Genuine Windows 7 Professional (32
bit) pre-loaded just under 2 years ago, has suddenly - as of today -
started displaying a message in the bottom RH corner of the screen
saying "Windows 7 / Build 7601 / This copy of Windows is not genuine"

It's got the official MS sticker on the bottom to prove otherwise!

Anyone any idea what might have caused this, and what - if anything - I
need to do about it?

I had a similar message that Windows security essentials reported that
windows might not be genuine and to go online to validate it

must be an update causing it

--
geoff
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Roger Mills
writes
My Dell laptop, which came new with Genuine Windows 7 Professional (32
bit) pre-loaded just under 2 years ago, has suddenly - as of today -
started displaying a message in the bottom RH corner of the screen saying
"Windows 7 / Build 7601 / This copy of Windows is not genuine"

It's got the official MS sticker on the bottom to prove otherwise!

Anyone any idea what might have caused this, and what - if anything - I
need to do about it?

I had a similar message that Windows security essentials reported that
windows might not be genuine and to go online to validate it

must be an update causing it

--
geoff

read about this some time ago, have a read thro the MS forums

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y

"Syd" wrote in message

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Roger Mills
writes
My Dell laptop, which came new with Genuine Windows 7 Professional (32
bit) pre-loaded just under 2 years ago, has suddenly - as of today -
started displaying a message in the bottom RH corner of the screen saying
"Windows 7 / Build 7601 / This copy of Windows is not genuine"

It's got the official MS sticker on the bottom to prove otherwise!

Anyone any idea what might have caused this, and what - if anything - I
need to do about it?

I had a similar message that Windows security essentials reported that
windows might not be genuine and to go online to validate it

must be an update causing it

--
geoff

read about this some time ago, have a read thro the MS forums

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/S...question=false

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My Dell laptop, which came new with Genuine Windows 7 Professional (32
bit) pre-loaded just under 2 years ago, has suddenly - as of today -
started displaying a message in the bottom RH corner of the screen
saying "Windows 7 / Build 7601 / This copy of Windows is not genuine"

It's got the official MS sticker on the bottom to prove otherwise!

Anyone any idea what might have caused this, and what - if anything - I
need to do about it?

TIA.

Run Linux

HN

Running linux permanently cures almost all windows related problems.
As an optimising tweaking bug solver, there's no better out there.

NT
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2012 20:03, Lobster wrote:
On 03/02/2012 19:50, Roger Mills wrote:
My Dell laptop, which came new with Genuine Windows 7 Professional (32
bit) pre-loaded just under 2 years ago, has suddenly - as of today -
started displaying a message in the bottom RH corner of the screen
saying "Windows 7 / Build 7601 / This copy of Windows is not genuine"

It's got the official MS sticker on the bottom to prove otherwise!

Anyone any idea what might have caused this, and what - if anything - I
need to do about it?

Have you altered the hardware at all?

No.

Try the M$ Genuine Diagnostics Tool at:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Thanks - you're a star! Having run that, the message has disappeared.

First off, it wouldn't let me save it to the desktop, saying that I
didn't have write access! So I saved it on my data disk, and ran it -
and not only did the message go away, but it now allows me to save to
the desktop again.

God only knows why the problem arose in the first place.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y
km km is offline

wrote:

My Dell laptop, which came new with Genuine Windows 7 Professional (32
bit) pre-loaded just under 2 years ago, has suddenly - as of today -
started displaying a message in the bottom RH corner of the screen
saying "Windows 7 / Build 7601 / This copy of Windows is not genuine"

It's got the official MS sticker on the bottom to prove otherwise!

Anyone any idea what might have caused this, and what - if anything - I
need to do about it?

TIA.

Run Linux

HN

There is obviously a group of morons using Newsgroups who are unable
to give helpful guidance about Windows and are "triggered" by such
questions to give the "use Linux" response.

Has using Linux programmed this behaviour?

Incidentally I have nothing against Linux, just a negative reaction to
these evangelistic users.

km
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
km wrote:
There is obviously a group of morons using Newsgroups who are unable
to give helpful guidance about Windows and are "triggered" by such
questions to give the "use Linux" response.

Has using Linux programmed this behaviour?

Have you ever been where a group of Linux enthusiasts gather? If so, you'd
know the answer. ;-)

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 10:19:27 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
km wrote:
There is obviously a group of morons using Newsgroups who are unable to
give helpful guidance about Windows and are "triggered" by such
questions to give the "use Linux" response.

Has using Linux programmed this behaviour?

Have you ever been where a group of Linux enthusiasts gather? If so,
you'd know the answer. ;-)

One of the most oft-quoted things I ever said in a lecture was initially
published within minutes of me saying it: "There are some very strange
people in the Linux newsgroups".

And yes, I get fed up with this knee-jerk "Install Linux" reaction too.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

One of the most oft-quoted things I ever said in a lecture was initially
published within minutes of me saying it: "There are some very strange
people in the Linux newsgroups".

And yes, I get fed up with this knee-jerk "Install Linux" reaction too.

It is a modern update of the archetypical yokel asked for
directions - "If I were you, I wouldn't start from here".

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
Bob Eager wrote:

One of the most oft-quoted things I ever said in a lecture was initially
published within minutes of me saying it: "There are some very strange
people in the Linux newsgroups".

And yes, I get fed up with this knee-jerk "Install Linux" reaction too.

It is a modern update of the archetypical yokel asked for
directions - "If I were you, I wouldn't start from here".

Alternatively (and just as inane), "Google is your friend!"
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

km wrote:

There is obviously a group of morons using Newsgroups who are unable
to give helpful guidance about Windows

Yeah, Windows users.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2012 09:50, km wrote:

There is obviously a group of morons using Newsgroups who are unable
to give helpful guidance about Windows and are "triggered" by such
questions to give the "use Linux" response.

Has using Linux programmed this behaviour?

Incidentally I have nothing against Linux, just a negative reaction to
these evangelistic users.

Indeed, not only that it just damages the reputation of using Linux on
the desktop...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , John
Rumm escribió:

Indeed, not only that it just damages the reputation of using Linux on
the desktop...

Bringing the subject somewhat back on topic, an OS is a tool, and one
chooses the correct tool for the job. If Windows does what you want,
use it. Same goes for Linux. Or DOS, for that matter.

Those who engage in OS advocacy wars should be restricted to an XT with
360k floppies running MS-DOS 2.11.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 20:25:14 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , John
Rumm escribió:

Indeed, not only that it just damages the reputation of using Linux on
the desktop...

Bringing the subject somewhat back on topic, an OS is a tool, and one
chooses the correct tool for the job. If Windows does what you want,
use it. Same goes for Linux. Or DOS, for that matter.

Those who engage in OS advocacy wars should be restricted to an XT with
360k floppies running MS-DOS 2.11.

That's a bit luxurious. You cen get an XT up to 640k onboard.

How about a 5150 original PC with 180k floppies?

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2012 23:07, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 20:25:14 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el , John
escribió:

Indeed, not only that it just damages the reputation of using Linux on
the desktop...

Bringing the subject somewhat back on topic, an OS is a tool, and one
chooses the correct tool for the job. If Windows does what you want,
use it. Same goes for Linux. Or DOS, for that matter.

Those who engage in OS advocacy wars should be restricted to an XT with
360k floppies running MS-DOS 2.11.

That's a bit luxurious. You cen get an XT up to 640k onboard.

How about a 5150 original PC with 180k floppies?

180K floppies? Luxury... we used to *dream* of floppies when I were a
lad...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Feb 2012 10:55:27 GMT Bob Eager wrote :
One of the most oft-quoted things I ever said in a lecture was initially
published within minutes of me saying it: "There are some very strange
people in the Linux newsgroups".

It used to be true when I was an OS/2 user - for some of us it was a very
good OS, for other people a religion. Did you know that back in the mid
1990s at dead of night MS would send trucks to all the CompUSA warehouses
to pick all the Windows 95 returns. You didn't? Just shows what a good job
they did of keeping it secret!

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Tony Bryer
escribió:

It used to be true when I was an OS/2 user - for some of us it was a very
good OS

I remember a colleague showing us OS/2 running on his IBM PS/2 machine.
He was very proud of the fact that it had a whole 4MB - yes, megabytes -
of RAM while the rest of us plebs had to make do with 1MB.

IBM's big mistake with OS/2 was crippling it so it would run on a 286.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 04:19:18 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Tony Bryer
escribió:

It used to be true when I was an OS/2 user - for some of us it was a
very good OS

I remember a colleague showing us OS/2 running on his IBM PS/2 machine.
He was very proud of the fact that it had a whole 4MB - yes, megabytes -
of RAM while the rest of us plebs had to make do with 1MB.

IBM's big mistake with OS/2 was crippling it so it would run on a 286.

Well, for the first four years, until version 2.0.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Tony Bryer
escribió:

It used to be true when I was an OS/2 user - for some of us it was a very
good OS

I remember a colleague showing us OS/2 running on his IBM PS/2 machine.
He was very proud of the fact that it had a whole 4MB - yes, megabytes -
of RAM while the rest of us plebs had to make do with 1MB.

Yeah, I had a similar experience. But I was laughing at the OS/2 proponent
because (a) my Mac had 8MB of RAM and unlike his OS/2 machine I could print
to the network printers.

IBM's big mistake with OS/2 was crippling it so it would run on a 286.

IBMs big mistake was thinking that Microsoft didn't have the marketing
clout to sink OS/2 in the first year.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2012 09:35, Steve Firth wrote:
Mike wrote:
En el , Tony Bryer
escribió:

It used to be true when I was an OS/2 user - for some of us it was a very
good OS

I remember a colleague showing us OS/2 running on his IBM PS/2 machine.
He was very proud of the fact that it had a whole 4MB - yes, megabytes -
of RAM while the rest of us plebs had to make do with 1MB.

Yeah, I had a similar experience. But I was laughing at the OS/2 proponent
because (a) my Mac had 8MB of RAM and unlike his OS/2 machine I could print
to the network printers.

IBM's big mistake with OS/2 was crippling it so it would run on a 286.

IBMs big mistake was thinking that Microsoft didn't have the marketing
clout to sink OS/2 in the first year.

As you've made this a ****ing competition again, my big mistake was
assuming I could use an IPhone for longer than an hour in cold weather.
Fortunately I had a proper phone with me as well
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2012 09:35, Steve Firth wrote:

IBMs big mistake was thinking that Microsoft didn't have the marketing
clout to sink OS/2 in the first year.

(My background - I worked for 25 years at IBM; 16 in the IBM PC Co
pretty much from its start up to the Lenovo selloff, and most of those
as a PC Technical Product Manager. I spent several months in the Boca
Raton labs, where OS/2 was developed, co-authoring the "Red Book" ready
for the launch).

IMHO IBM's big mistake was linking OS/2 with PS/2, which was announced
the same day. Salesman were always driven by hardware numbers and they
saw OS/2 as a tool to drive PS/2 sales. But customers didn't really want
to switch OS's, or to Micro Channel - they certainly didn't want both at
the same time. But the Sales position (in spite of us techies arguing
otherwise) was that one really needed the other.

MS were pretty neutral for the first year or so of OS/2's life.

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 11:22:32 +0000, Reentrant wrote:

[...]

Actually, they were neutral until about 1990 - when they launched Windows
as the system to use for low end machines - and even then they were
pushing OS/2 for higher end machines (I went to the London launch).

They were surprised how well it went, and that's when they started
pulling back from OS/2.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo
nal-september.org, Steve Firth escribió:

IBMs big mistake was thinking that Microsoft didn't have the marketing
clout to sink OS/2 in the first year.

The version of that story I heard is that M$ and IBM initially
collaborated on OS/2 but M$ lost patience when IBM insisted that it
should run on a 286 because most of their current PS/2 line at the time
was based on the 286, and they didn't want to antagonise their corporate
buyers.

M$ gave up and went their own way and we all know what happened after
that.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
As you've made this a ****ing competition again, my big mistake was
assuming I could use an IPhone for longer than an hour in cold weather.
Fortunately I had a proper phone with me as well

It's an interesting point - which battery technologies still work in the
cold.

--
*Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 11:54:16 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo
nal-september.org, Steve Firth escribió:

IBMs big mistake was thinking that Microsoft didn't have the marketing
clout to sink OS/2 in the first year.

The version of that story I heard is that M$ and IBM initially
collaborated on OS/2 but M$ lost patience when IBM insisted that it
should run on a 286 because most of their current PS/2 line at the time
was based on the 286, and they didn't want to antagonise their corporate
buyers.

M$ gave up and went their own way and we all know what happened after
that.

The initial PS/2 range had:

Model 50 - 286
Model 60 - 286
Model 70 - 386
Model P70 - 386
Model 80 - 386

Then:
Model 55 - 386
Model 90 - 486
Model 95 - 486

And eventually:
Model 25 - 8086
Model 30 - 8086

There were a few other odd ones.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
As you've made this a ****ing competition again, my big mistake was
assuming I could use an IPhone for longer than an hour in cold weather.
Fortunately I had a proper phone with me as well

It's an interesting point - which battery technologies still work in the
cold.

They all do, just not as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

On 05/02/2012 09:35, Steve Firth wrote:
Mike wrote:
En el , Tony Bryer
escribió:

It used to be true when I was an OS/2 user - for some of us it was a very
good OS

I remember a colleague showing us OS/2 running on his IBM PS/2 machine.
He was very proud of the fact that it had a whole 4MB - yes, megabytes -
of RAM while the rest of us plebs had to make do with 1MB.

Yeah, I had a similar experience. But I was laughing at the OS/2 proponent
because (a) my Mac had 8MB of RAM and unlike his OS/2 machine I could print
to the network printers.

IBM's big mistake with OS/2 was crippling it so it would run on a 286.

IBMs big mistake was thinking that Microsoft didn't have the marketing
clout to sink OS/2 in the first year.

As you've made this a ****ing competition again,

No I haven't, get your head out of your arse. If you think a Mac 8/80 is
part of "a ****ing competition" then you're someone with an enormous
chip on his shoulder. checks poster As you were, you're someone with
an enormous chip on his shoulder.

my big mistake was

Drawing breath.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Bob Eager
escribió:

Model 55 - 386

actually model 55sx, 386sx

Model 30 - 8086

There was also a model 30 286.

They were all horrible things - I used to have to fix them for an IBM
dealer. *twitches*

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On 4 Feb 2012 10:55:27 GMT Bob Eager wrote :
One of the most oft-quoted things I ever said in a lecture was initially
published within minutes of me saying it: "There are some very strange
people in the Linux newsgroups".

It used to be true when I was an OS/2 user - for some of us it was a very
good OS, for other people a religion. Did you know that back in the mid
1990s at dead of night MS would send trucks to all the CompUSA warehouses
to pick all the Windows 95 returns. You didn't? Just shows what a good job
they did of keeping it secret!

Reminds me (and to get vaguely back to the main remit of the NG) that I
still have a copy of OS/2 on floppies up in the bedroom/office/scrap heap of
computing dreams.

I always intended make a cabinet for it with the traditional
"In Case of Emergency Break Glass"
sign on the front, but never got round to it.

Who knows, one day I might try and load it onto some really, really old kit.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote
Mike Tomlinson wrote
Tony Bryer wrote

It used to be true when I was an OS/2 user - for some of us it was
a very good OS

I remember a colleague showing us OS/2 running on his IBM PS/2
machine. He was very proud of the fact that it had a whole 4MB -
yes, megabytes - of RAM while the rest of us plebs had to make do
with 1MB.

Yeah, I had a similar experience. But I was laughing at the OS/2
proponent because (a) my Mac had 8MB of RAM and unlike his
OS/2 machine I could print to the network printers.

IBM's big mistake with OS/2 was crippling it so it would run on a 286.

IBMs big mistake was thinking that Microsoft didn't have the marketing
clout to sink OS/2 in the first year.

The problem wasnt marketing clout, the problem was that OS/2 required
you to replace all your app software when you upgraded. Win didnt.

That changed later when few upgraded and just bought a new machine
instead but by that time few of the app suppliers bothered to support
OS/2 and almost no one supplied the hardware with OS/2 installed except
IBM and they didnt amount to a hill of beans in the mass market by then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2012 15:59, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

There was also a model 30 286.

They were all horrible things

OTOH the Model 50 could be stripped to its bare assemblies and
reassembled in about 30 seconds with no tools - it just snapped together.

I used to have to fix them for an IBM
dealer. *twitches*

I had to train the IBM dealers. *shudders*

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 18:37:26 +0000, Reentrant wrote:

On 05/02/2012 15:59, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

There was also a model 30 286.

They were all horrible things

OTOH the Model 50 could be stripped to its bare assemblies and
reassembled in about 30 seconds with no tools - it just snapped
together.

It was easier to undo the snaps if you used the little 'lifter' tool -
which was stowed inside the main case at the front.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Reentrant
escribió:

OTOH the Model 50 could be stripped to its bare assemblies and
reassembled in about 30 seconds with no tools - it just snapped together.

Yes, but with completely proprietary parts priced at three times the
cost of the equivalent clone part to lock the user into the IBM
ecosystem.

You can buy very nice PC cases nowadays which need no tools.

I had to train the IBM dealers. *shudders*

:-)

The Authorised Servicer "exams" were a joke - the examiner allowed us to
consult the manuals to find the answers to the questions. Little wonder
I scored 100%. That was at the IBM centre in London - Harrow, IIRC.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Bob Eager
escribió:

It was easier to undo the snaps if you used the little 'lifter' tool -
which was stowed inside the main case at the front.

Yes, a little wedge-shaped piece of white plastic. A nice touch.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 13:41:13 +1100, Tony Bryer wrote:

It used to be true when I was an OS/2 user - for some of us it was a
very good OS,

Still is, I'm still using it(*) on my PC and don't see any real need
to change. I detest the stupid user interface quirks that windows
still has after all these years. Now if they could learn a few things
from Presentation Manager it would be whole lot better and much more
useable.

I do have access to a window box for sites that are stupid enough to
not work without flash or reams of the latest javascript. Also to
read the various proprietary file formats that most people assume
everyone can read.

(*) OS/2 Warp 3 hacked to have networking from Warp 4.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 12:36:58 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
It's an interesting point - which battery technologies still work in the
cold.

And which screens.