Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] iPhone or Android...

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 09:36:07 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 08:24:03 +0000, Bob Martin wrote:

in 1097751 20120117 131356 Tim Watts wrote:
Thankfully, the O2 contract is nearly up (bloody useless coverage in
my area).

I was about to plump for an iPhone 4S from Three as a) I have an
iPhone 3G; b) Three works really well on the Hastings line and inside
my house; c) Three have an excellent Allyoucaneat data package with
tethering included.

But, now I notice that all the must-have apps I depend on (RBS
banking, Ocado to name two) have in the last few months finally
appeared on Android, so the closed gate has been opened...

I like Android, the philosophy - I might even write some apps for
myself (can't do on iPhone, 'cos I don't have a Mac)

But comparing iPhone with SWMBO's Android pad, my perception is the
iPhone is much more in the "just works" camp than Android. Loads of
Android apps are crashy IME. Very rare on iOS except for running out
of RAM on my ancient 3G

How do others find Android - and who makes a decent handset? (Form
factor should be similar to iPhone - I find that a convenient size).
Get an Orange Monte Carlo from Argos (change from £100)
http://tinyurl.com/7y5qwol
then unlock it, repartition and install CyanogenMod 7. I must admit
that for me it's as much a toy as a phone but CM7 is as solid as a
rock and you have a full Linux system which you can program in Python,
Ruby, Rexx etc etc

Ooh, REXX on my phone! Mind, I can already run 'classic UNIX' and VAX/
VMS...

You know there has to be bloatware somewhere when you can ren on a
mobile phone, apps, better than you could on a DEC minicomputer....of
the 1990s

Well, classic UNIX was even earlier - I started using it in mid-1975! And
VMS was around the same time...originally.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote:

[...]

Looks very interesting...

What's unlocking like - is it a ring Orange or use a dodgey stall affair
these days (spot who never unlocks mobiles!)?

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2012 18:33, Tim Watts wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:

Get an Orange Monte Carlo from Argos (change from £100)
http://tinyurl.com/7y5qwol
then unlock it, repartition and install CyanogenMod 7.
I must admit that for me it's as much a toy as a phone but CM7 is as solid
as a rock and you have a full Linux system which you can program in
Python, Ruby, Rexx etc etc

Looks very interesting...

What's unlocking like - is it a ring Orange or use a dodgey stall affair
these days (spot who never unlocks mobiles!)?

Most of the network operators will unlock for a fee - once the handset
is out of contract. Also some handsets are easy to unlock with freely
available software.

Cost me £15 to extract my previous SE W595 from virgin's clutches. After
that I reflashed it with the generic firmware to debrand it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote:

Get an Orange Monte Carlo from Argos (change from £100)
http://tinyurl.com/7y5qwol
then unlock it, repartition and install CyanogenMod 7.
I must admit that for me it's as much a toy as a phone but CM7 is as solid
as a rock and you have a full Linux system which you can program in
Python, Ruby, Rexx etc etc

Looks very interesting...

What's unlocking like - is it a ring Orange or use a dodgey stall affair
these days (spot who never unlocks mobiles!)?

Most of the network operators will unlock for a fee - once the handset
is out of contract. Also some handsets are easy to unlock with freely
available software.

Tesco will unlock for free if you've had the deal for a year. All
the others charge IIRC. I have found none of my phones were easy to
unlock with freely available software. YMMV.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote:

Get an Orange Monte Carlo from Argos (change from �100)
http://tinyurl.com/7y5qwol
then unlock it, repartition and install CyanogenMod 7.
I must admit that for me it's as much a toy as a phone but CM7 is as solid
as a rock and you have a full Linux system which you can program in
Python, Ruby, Rexx etc etc

Looks very interesting...

What's unlocking like - is it a ring Orange or use a dodgey stall affair
these days (spot who never unlocks mobiles!)?

You can unlock Orange San Franciso and Orange Monte Carlo phones
for free using software procedures from the appropriate forums.

My son unlocked his Samsung Galaxy S the same way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default iPhone or Android...

On Jan 17, 1:13*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Generally they are fine. As others have said, Android is a bit more
free and open than Apple and the phones usually have SD card slots,
standard micro-USB ports, more customisable interface and more choice
of sizes and power.

Whether any of that is important to you, only you can say.

Samsung and HTC are two of the more popular handset manufacturers.

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Thankfully, the O2 contract is nearly up (bloody useless coverage in my
area).

I was about to plump for an iPhone 4S from Three as a) I have an iPhone
3G; b) Three works really well on the Hastings line and inside my house;
c) Three have an excellent Allyoucaneat data package with tethering
included.

But, now I notice that all the must-have apps I depend on (RBS banking,
Ocado to name two) have in the last few months finally appeared on
Android, so the closed gate has been opened...

Well...

Done the deed. Decided I wanted a decent solid phone, so was getting close
to going for the iPhone 4S on Three's One plan (all you can eat data).

Then I did a bit more reading around, and noticed the Samsung Galaxy S2 has
similar hardware specs to the iPhone (plus more RAM plus being able to
replace the battery and add an SD card).

Noticing that that device had no upfront cost on the One plan, but the
iPhone 4S was £189, I went in and tried one and got one on the spot.

I must say, I am deeply impressed. Light, bloody fast, "just works" with
linux (including USB tethering, so saving laptop and mobile battery on
train). In fact the tether mode seems to work more reliably than teh Three
MIFI.

All in all, it's now clear that Android was thr right choice for me. Little
things like installing a WIFI signal scanner that the Ghost of Steve says is
forbidden.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:44:57 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

I've had mine for a few months. Quite apart from all the nice things you
mention, silly things such as running VAX/VMS on it, on SIMH...!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

All in all, it's now clear that Android was thr right choice for me.
Little
things like installing a WIFI signal scanner that the Ghost of Steve says
is
forbidden.

You will like it more when android 4 is released in a month or two.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 19:51:41 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

All in all, it's now clear that Android was thr right choice for me.
Little
things like installing a WIFI signal scanner that the Ghost of Steve
says is
forbidden.

You will like it more when android 4 is released in a month or two.

I've been told it is on its way. The S2 is one of the Samsung phones that
will get it - not true for all.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

All in all, it's now clear that Android was thr right choice for me.
Little
things like installing a WIFI signal scanner that the Ghost of Steve
says is
forbidden.

You will like it more when android 4 is released in a month or two.

I've been told it is on its way. The S2 is one of the Samsung phones that
will get it - not true for all.

CyanogenMod 9! I've already tried it on my OMC/Skate - it's very nice but a
couple of things not working yet.

http://android.modaco.com/topic/3487...-updated-0601/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote:

CyanogenMod 9! I've already tried it on my OMC/Skate - it's very nice but a
couple of things not working yet.

http://android.modaco.com/topic/3487...-updated-0601/

I've tried MeDroid which is reasonable usable (a few glitches in camera,
gallery very flaky, and the odd FC in maps) amost usable on a day to day
basis ...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1411429
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

can you let me know which 3 plan this was?

Looking at taking out 12 month SIM only Mobile Broadband deal and wondering
if tethering a 3G mobile would work as well.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2012 14:29, David WE Roberts wrote:

Tim,

can you let me know which 3 plan this was?

Looking at taking out 12 month SIM only Mobile Broadband deal and
wondering if tethering a 3G mobile would work as well.

Cheers

I have the 300 minutes plan @ 10 pounds a month on a 12-mont contract.
SIM only. Gives 1Gb data but no tethering. Add a 5 pound a month
Internet max bundle and that gives another 2Gb of data and allows
tethering.

Buy through Quidco and get 50 something pounds cash back so works out at
a little over ten pounds a month for the first year.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

This one:

http://www.three.co.uk/_standalone/P...=1220465768094

Looking at taking out 12 month SIM only Mobile Broadband deal and
wondering if tethering a 3G mobile would work as well.

--
Toum Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

If that is the total cost - £600 for the phone and 24 months all you can eat
Broadband - that looks pretty good as the SIM only deal is £300 over 12
months.
Knock of £140 for two lots of £79 SIM only 1Gb month and it looks even
better.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1100692 20120127 195942 "David WE Roberts" wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

Get an £89 phone from Argos and it looks even better :-)