Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer

Default Problem with Libre Office and word .doc;!..

Wonder if theres anyone around who uses this program at all?..

Friend of the family uses Libre Office for most all word processing she
needs except that shes been sent a doc thats like a "template" where you
can or should be able to change the text thats in a differing colour.
There are of course some graphics and logo's on that but there are
defined or seemingly defined areas where you can add text or alter same.

Now I have a rather olde version of wurd and that seems to do the
necessary. However in Libre Office it seems to treat it like a graphic
image. If you for instance right click your mouse a "crossed hairs"
cursor with small arrows on each part of the cross comes up unlike the
single straight upright bar that looks like a text editor one.

Anyone any ideas what you alter in Libre office or is this a file
compatibility problem?.

Cheers..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer

On Jan 12, 11:43*am, tony sayer wrote:
[...]

I've not tried opening a Word form (assuming that's what it is) in LO,
but it does seem all these free Office alternatives have some
formatting quirks. FWIW I find IBM Lotus Symphony more compatible then
OO or LO, so that might be worth a bash as a last resort.
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer

In cam.misc tony sayer wrote:

Anyone any ideas what you alter in Libre office or is this a file
compatibility problem?.

I don't know if it would work or not, but you could try uploading it to
Google Docs and then downloading it as an .odf file. Or you could try
this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/commen...ocuments_that/

Naich.
--
http://naich.net ..... My rubbish blog
http://asshol.es ..... Stupidity in pictures

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer

Owain wrote:
On Jan 12, 11:43 am, tony sayer wrote:
Now I have a rather olde version of wurd and that seems to do the
necessary. However in Libre Office it seems to treat it like a graphic
image. If you for instance right click your mouse a "crossed hairs"
cursor with small arrows on each part of the cross comes up unlike the
single straight upright bar that looks like a text editor one.

Try double or multiple clicking on it - if it's a text box I think OOO
(and thus LO) may treat it as a floatable graphic on first click, and
need more clicks to get 'inside' it to the text

That sounds not far off the mark.. I find trying to get either WORD OR
open office to do anything 'inside a box' to be..arcane at the best.

I can see why SWMBO likes Quark..EVERYTHING is a 'box' and that's how
you do the entire process..whether it's a graphic or editable text.

Word processors like WORD are in a sense the worst of all solutions:
They do everything badly.

'Jack of all trades, master of none'

I either want pure editable text, with the minimum of formatting, or
something that is formatted for HTML or really laid out properly, like
Quark..

Owain

open office vs MS Office Oppie[_6_] Electronic Schematics 0 June 3rd 09 08:11 PM
SMTP "libre"? Pauli Harju Home Repair 0 June 29th 08 02:49 PM
Cork floors a problem in home office? R. Home Ownership 2 August 4th 05 02:49 AM
How Dare Could America Industrial Property Office Be In Conspiracy With Jungang International Patent Office To Make An Extravagant International Crime ? [email protected] Woodturning 2 June 5th 05 07:03 AM