Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any experts on telephone wiring?

I decided to investigate my internal wiring to see if it was impacting
on my broadband speed which is a tad slower than expected - and I can't
understand how it can possibly be working, but it is.

1979 house with a plate in the hall behind which is a birds nest of
wiring with at the back of the recess an old type brass connector with 6
(I think) connecting screws.

Some years ago we had BT wire in some extensions. It was about the time
master sockets appeared on the scene so we had to have one - he said.

So we have a master socket in the living room.
We have a slave type socket in the kitchen Main digital cordless base
station is connected - but doesn't appear to be daisy chained off the
master in the front room.
We have an extension to first bedroom and then the daisy chain continues
to the 3rd bedroom, (Study) which houses my router.

About 5 years ago we had an extension built and the builder kindly
sliced through the cable from the hall up to the 1st bedroom.
I know I carefully listed the connections upstairs and ran a new cable
down to a connecting box in the hall - no way was I getting into the
mess behind the plate.

So all this time it has worked. But I thought perhaps I had crossed
over the 2 wires in a pair and that might be slowing down my broadband.

But when I came to open it up I couldn't believe what I was seeing - and
I couldn't believe it was working.

The wiring coming in and out on the socket in the 1st bedroom reads.
IN Pin OUT
Bl/Wh 2 Bl/Wh
Wh/Or 3 Or/Wh
4
Org/Wh 5 Wh/Bl

On the input cable Wh/Bl is not connected.
On the output cable Wh/Or has never been connected as it is neatly
coiled up with the green pair
Can anyone explain how this is actually working? If I disconnect Or/Wh
on the input cable the whole upstairs chain stops working, phones and
router.

All the other sockets are wired sensibly
Bl/Wh pin 2 Wh/Bl Pin 5
Or/Wh Pin 3 Wh/Or Pin 4

--
hugh

Telephone Experts Please - Part 2 TheScullster UK diy 90 July 24th 11 01:59 AM
Telephone Experts Please - What Else Can I Try? TheScullster UK diy 15 July 19th 11 10:42 AM
Telephone Wiring Max Home Repair 3 August 18th 05 10:43 AM
Any CH Wiring experts! Pete UK diy 16 August 27th 04 02:15 AM
Any telephone experts here? Doug Kanter Home Repair 5 March 23rd 04 01:36 AM