Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Telephone Experts Please - What Else Can I Try?

Hi all

My mother decided she wanted to go cordless and selected tbe BT710
Freestyle - big button twin set.
Pre-charged it over Friday and took it round and hooked it up Saturday
morning.
There is significant interference heard (in between a crackle and hiss)
which is not present with a corded phone.

First question - are these cordless phones more susceptible to line noise
than corded versions or does this have to be external local interference
getting in between the base and the handset?

The master socket and phone base unit is located in the hallway of a
standard 3 bed semi, close to the front door.

My diagnostic measures so far include:

Removing the master socket faceplate and plugging the phone into the
internal master socket - no change
Moving the base as far from the master socket as the telephone lead would
allow (approx 2m) - no change
Plugging the base into the only extension socket (upstairs) rather than the
master - no change
Powering off the router which shares the splitter with the phone - no change
Swapping the splitter for another not-new splitter - no change

My mother talking to the neighbours - they have a cordless phone and do not
experience the same problem.

The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is checking the unit
works on another line, or taking our phone round and trying that on her
line.
The reason that I don't immediately suspect the phone is that, whilst trying
to set this new model up, ISTR they tried a cordless phone years ago and
gave up on it because of the interference.

Is there a measuring instrument available for hire perhaps that can check
for sources of interference?

Having tried the phone and base unit in an upstairs room (and still noted
the problem) I would have thought this would eliminate the possibility of
interference from a specific local device.
I think the phone line comes in over head, so shouldn't pick up noise from
the main power supply to the house.

Can anyone suggest other measures to identify the cause please?

TIA

Phil

Any P-38 experts around? steamer Metalworking 11 September 15th 10 12:21 PM
Any RF experts about? PCPaul UK diy 10 May 1st 09 06:09 PM
Telephone Network Interface Device (NID) Telephone Box ? Robert11 Home Ownership 1 May 3rd 07 10:37 PM
Need an experts help Chewbacca Home Repair 0 August 8th 06 02:35 PM
Any telephone experts here? Doug Kanter Home Repair 5 March 23rd 04 01:36 AM