Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old scaffolding tower

My son needs some means of reaching the guttering of a stone
outbuilding. Access is via a narrow gravel path or a lot of stone steps.
He has ladders, but they are not quite long enough for the multi-level
ground.

I have a scaffolding tower system that looks as though it can be
assembled into a 4 foot by 2 foot tower or 4 x 4 tower by assembling
the parts differently.

Construction is galvanised steel frames that fit together with diagonal
bracing pieces, the tubing being approx 2" o/d and 1.5" o/d. We have 4
wheels and 2 plates for under the bottom frames. There are also 4
pointed tubes, which we think might be used with some of the bracing
type rods as outriggers.

It was bought for use by my parents in a bungalow, so only goes up to
about 10 to 12 feet (I forgot to measure this). Since they died, it has
been outside our house in the elements for about 20 years and there is
no sign of rust or other decay.

Labels on the boards say Mills Scaffolding Co Ltd and Bantam SelfLock. I
seem to remember it was bought from Stoke via an advert in Exchange and
Mart.

We think there are enough frames to reach the 20 feet or so that he
needs, so the immediate need is for more diagonal bracing pieces for the
4 x 4 tower. These are simply poles with the 2" o/d tubing rings welded
to each end.

Would there be a source of these anywhere? We could probably get them
welded up locally, but if we can find something already made and
galvanised, that would be good.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes
[...]

Two diagonal braces is adequate: each one forms a pair of triangles. Use
one on the bottom stage and the second near the top at 90deg.

I have something similar here which goes to 16'0". Not sure about your
pointed tubes; they may be extension pieces.

You should also have two 4'0" poles with welded rings. these are needed
for locking the final pair of sections (top) together.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Two diagonal braces is adequate: each one forms a pair of triangles. Use
one on the bottom stage and the second near the top at 90deg.

I have something similar here which goes to 16'0". Not sure about your
pointed tubes; they may be extension pieces.

You should also have two 4'0" poles with welded rings. these are needed
for locking the final pair of sections (top) together.

regards

Rather than hunt around for custom parts I'd just get something like these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-swivel-c...item4ab262dfcd

and a few suitable lengths of scaffold pole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
Two diagonal braces is adequate: each one forms a pair of triangles.
Use one on the bottom stage and the second near the top at 90deg.

Thanks for that. We were probably being too scared of it and thinking we
needed a diagonal at every section.

I have something similar here which goes to 16'0". Not sure about your
pointed tubes; they may be extension pieces.

They have a point at one end and a tiny welded ring a few inches down at
the other. There are 4 of them and we also have some poles with rings
that don't match either the 4x2 assembly or the 4x4. We have done a
dummy assembly with the poles and tubes as hammer in to the lawn
stabilisers and they do all seem to fit.

You should also have two 4'0" poles with welded rings. these are needed
for locking the final pair of sections (top) together.

Yes, we do. So the final top sections form guardrails, I assume. We also
seem to have amateur-made wooden planks that look like toe-rails. We did
wonder whether the pointed tubes would fit on top and form guardrails
with the 4 foot poles and need the toerails, but that seems a bit
unlikely.

Thanks for that. It is all becoming clear now.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 31 2011, 4:15*pm, Bill wrote:
[...]

Imho ss fixings resinned into brickwork are safer.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 31 2011, 4:15*pm, Bill wrote:

Would there be a source of these anywhere? We could probably get them
welded up locally, but if we can find something already made and
galvanised, that would be good.

E-bay.

I have 'something similar'. It seems there were lots of small makers
making 'something similar' and most of the bits I found were exactly
the wrong size.
I got 'something similar' from the estate of a relative and thought it
would be a useful addition to my frames; it was, of course, exactly
the wrong size and was flogged on E-bay.

I found that these things are usually stored outside and although they
may show no rust, they do rust at the welds from the inside. I'd
recommend a hammer test of the joints before trusting life and limb to
it. With hindsight, the chances of finding components that match the
existing components is so slim as to make it a waste of time. Either
buy a whole set or buy/hire a new tower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message , Tim Lamb
writes
Two diagonal braces is adequate: each one forms a pair of triangles.
Use one on the bottom stage and the second near the top at 90deg.

Thanks for that. We were probably being too scared of it and thinking we
needed a diagonal at every section.

Two diagonals is OK, I have just such a tower assembled outside the
end of our house at the moment to re-screw the lapped wood on the end
of the house. There are five 'levels', I've put the diagonals at the
top of the first level and the top of the third level.

I have something similar here which goes to 16'0". Not sure about your
pointed tubes; they may be extension pieces.

They have a point at one end and a tiny welded ring a few inches down at
the other. There are 4 of them and we also have some poles with rings
that don't match either the 4x2 assembly or the 4x4. We have done a
dummy assembly with the poles and tubes as hammer in to the lawn
stabilisers and they do all seem to fit.

You should also have two 4'0" poles with welded rings. these are needed
for locking the final pair of sections (top) together.

Yes, we do. So the final top sections form guardrails, I assume. We also

That's certainly what ours has, four (two short and two long) guard
rails around the top.

seem to have amateur-made wooden planks that look like toe-rails. We did
wonder whether the pointed tubes would fit on top and form guardrails
with the 4 foot poles and need the toerails, but that seems a bit
unlikely.

Thanks for that. It is all becoming clear now.
--
Bill

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, NT
writes
[...]

Undoubtedly!

However, these steel 4x4 towers are VERY HEAVY and stable on flat
ground. Safety rails, kick boards etc. are another matter. I have just
finished using mine (free standing) to fit conduit and lights in an
agricultural barn at about 18'. Climbing a ladder and then stepping on
to the edge of the platform was unconcerning. 95kg + wellies:-)

regards

NT

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Bill, terry wrote:
hi bill where are you situated i need a small scaffold. Regards terry

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...er-777757-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"terry" m wrote in
message oupdirect.com...
replying to Bill, terry wrote:
hi bill where are you situated i need a small scaffold. Regards terry

Not very likely to still be there 9 years later.

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...er-777757-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 29 February 2020 21:07:04 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
hi bill where are you situated i need a small scaffold. Regards terry

Not very likely to still be there 9 years later.

I know Bill's been having a tidy-up but actually I think there's a fair chance it is!!

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 1 Mar 2020 08:06:54 +1100, , better known as cantankerous

Not very likely to still be there 9 years later.

More likey than you being still around in 9 years, you disgusting
86-year-old trolling senile swine! I personally will see to it that it will
be a LOT earlier! BG

--
Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

Why who are you going to hang?

Himself, so he doesn’t catch the coronavirus.

"terry" m wrote in
message oupdirect.com...
replying to Bill, terry wrote:
hi bill where are you situated i need a small scaffold. Regards terry

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...er-777757-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Mar 2020 20:12:47 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Himself, so he doesn˘t catch the coronavirus.

More likely another useless senile asshole like you that everyone would like
to get rid off!

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:

tower scaffolding near 240v overhead wires - what's the riskanalysis? Jim K[_2_] UK diy 14 August 3rd 10 08:16 PM
Ladder vs Scaffolding Tower vs Something Else Michael D UK diy 15 May 4th 10 07:59 PM
Scaffolding Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 3 July 8th 08 11:46 AM
Scaffolding SteveB Home Repair 11 August 10th 07 04:35 PM
How far is it safe to lean over from a scaffolding tower? Henry Law UK diy 19 July 31st 07 09:55 PM