Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk,uk.legal

Default DIY Legality

Someone posted the following picture on another newsgroup.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/kitchen.jpg

(Note the white cable coming out of the LHS of the supply point above the
cooker)

Whilst it is obviously potentially unsafe and stupidity to have something like
this in a kitchen; has the person who did it broken any regulations?

I suppose if it was the owner of the property who did the wiring, then it
would be their own stupid fault if someone gets an electric shock - or would
the person who made the connection be liable in anyway?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk,uk.legal

In article ,
Judith writes:
Someone posted the following picture on another newsgroup.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/kitchen.jpg

(Note the white cable coming out of the LHS of the supply point above the
cooker)

Whilst it is obviously potentially unsafe and stupidity to have something like
this in a kitchen; has the person who did it broken any regulations?

It doesn't look very conventional which should ring alarm bells, but
without knowing a lot more details about what it's connected to, the
size of the load, cable, and circuit protection (fuses/MCB), and when
it was connected up, it's impossible to say.

A white cable running diagonally across the surface of the wall is not
by itself a contravention of anything beyond bad taste.

I suppose if it was the owner of the property who did the wiring, then it
would be their own stupid fault if someone gets an electric shock - or would
the person who made the connection be liable in anyway?

Yes, if they did it incorrectly.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Judith wrote:
Someone posted the following picture on another newsgroup.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/kitchen.jpg

(Note the white cable coming out of the LHS of the supply point above
the cooker)

Whilst it is obviously potentially unsafe and stupidity to have
something like this in a kitchen; has the person who did it broken
any regulations?

I suppose if it was the owner of the property who did the wiring,
then it would be their own stupid fault if someone gets an electric
shock - or would the person who made the connection be liable in
anyway?

It's a bloody disgrace.

There is no HP sauce.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 31/12/2011 12:15 ARWadsworth wrote:

Judith wrote:
Someone posted the following picture on another newsgroup.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/kitchen.jpg

(Note the white cable coming out of the LHS of the supply point above
the cooker)

Whilst it is obviously potentially unsafe and stupidity to have
something like this in a kitchen; has the person who did it broken
any regulations?

I suppose if it was the owner of the property who did the wiring,
then it would be their own stupid fault if someone gets an electric
shock - or would the person who made the connection be liable in
anyway?

It's a bloody disgrace.

There is no HP sauce.

AND... there's Marmite!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Judith wrote:
Someone posted the following picture on another newsgroup.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/kitchen.jpg

What a **** hole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

What a **** hole.

That seems to me rather harsh - especially as there's a bar of Lindt
with sea salt on offer. And the floor doesn't look bad to me for a
kitchen which has been used rather than prepared for a show home. But
then perhaps my standards are as low as my expectations.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Robin wrote:
What a **** hole.

That seems to me rather harsh - especially as there's a bar of Lindt
with sea salt on offer. And the floor doesn't look bad to me for a
kitchen which has been used rather than prepared for a show home. But
then perhaps my standards are as low as my expectations.

My kitchen worktop usually has a cat asleep on it!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Judith wrote:
Someone posted the following picture on another newsgroup.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/kitchen.jpg

What a **** hole.

Simon needs more cupboards.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Sex without love is merely healthy exercise.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Judith wrote:
Someone posted the following picture on another newsgroup.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/kitchen.jpg

What a **** hole.

Misty grey tiles - must have been done in the 90's. What colour
is the bathroom suite ?.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling

Cycling group added as the owner of this kitchen frequents that group

Judith wrote:
Someone posted the following picture on another newsgroup.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/kitchen.jpg

What a **** hole.

Misty grey tiles - must have been done in the 90's. What colour
is the bathroom suite ?.

MFI/Hygena cupboards too.
I had the same ones in the early 1990's
Even the knobs are the same.

David Kemper
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 20:36:27 -0000, "David Kemper"
wrote:

Cycling group added as the owner of this kitchen frequents that group

"Andrew" wrote in message news

Is the bicycle relevant?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

ARWadsworth wrote:

Judith wrote:
Someone posted the following picture on another newsgroup.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/kitchen.jpg

(Note the white cable coming out of the LHS of the supply point above
the cooker)

Whilst it is obviously potentially unsafe and stupidity to have
something like this in a kitchen; has the person who did it broken
any regulations?

I suppose if it was the owner of the property who did the wiring,
then it would be their own stupid fault if someone gets an electric
shock - or would the person who made the connection be liable in
anyway?

It's a bloody disgrace.

There is no HP sauce.

The selection of goods on display shows that the people living there
are a bit snobbish. E.g. Ginseng extract - pah!
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 31/12/2011 15:06, johannes wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

Judith wrote:
Someone posted the following picture on another newsgroup.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/kitchen.jpg

(Note the white cable coming out of the LHS of the supply point above
the cooker)

Whilst it is obviously potentially unsafe and stupidity to have
something like this in a kitchen; has the person who did it broken
any regulations?

I suppose if it was the owner of the property who did the wiring,
then it would be their own stupid fault if someone gets an electric
shock - or would the person who made the connection be liable in
anyway?

It's a bloody disgrace.

There is no HP sauce.

The selection of goods on display shows that the people living there
are a bit snobbish. E.g. Ginseng extract - pah!

If that is their diet, then they will needs those Andrews Liver salts,
if that is what they are.

Actually I think you work for the BBC don't you - all that product
placement ..

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
johannes wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

Judith wrote:
Someone posted the following picture on another newsgroup.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/kitchen.jpg

(Note the white cable coming out of the LHS of the supply point above
the cooker)

Whilst it is obviously potentially unsafe and stupidity to have
something like this in a kitchen; has the person who did it broken
any regulations?

I suppose if it was the owner of the property who did the wiring,
then it would be their own stupid fault if someone gets an electric
shock - or would the person who made the connection be liable in
anyway?

It's a bloody disgrace.

There is no HP sauce.

The selection of goods on display shows that the people living there
are a bit snobbish. E.g. Ginseng extract - pah!

No, your reaction shows *you* are a bit snobbish. Like drivel.

I prefer a box of Drivel 75mg to a box of Korean Ginseng 75mg from Sainsbury's.

HTH.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
johannes wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
johannes wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

Judith wrote:
[...]

Not really. I neither know nor care that ginseng is or who uses it.
Unlike drivel I am not driven by hatred or envy.

Where have I said that I was?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
johannes wrote:

[... have to cut this or else the ns complains about too many lines...]

[...]

Are you Drivel?

Yes I'm Drivel and not driven by hatred or envy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 12:15:51 -0000, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

It's a bloody disgrace.

There is no HP sauce.

There's sea kelp, ffs.
I like the bike, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Judith" wrote in message

Someone posted the following picture on another newsgroup.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/kitchen.jpg

(Note the white cable coming out of the LHS of the supply point above the
cooker)

Whilst it is obviously potentially unsafe and stupidity to have something
like
this in a kitchen; has the person who did it broken any regulations?

I suppose if it was the owner of the property who did the wiring, then it
would be their own stupid fault if someone gets an electric shock - or would
the person who made the connection be liable in anyway?

Whoever fitted that double socket was an amateur. I do hope it's wired
directly into the ring mains and not via a 13A plug and socket below.

The use of the adaptor may be ok depending on the total load of the
equipment plugged into it which should not exceed 13A maximum.

I'm amused by the fitting of the cheap laminate flooring near the base of
the sink unit. Another amateurish job. Someone needs to clean the floor as
well, it's filthy.

I'm glad it's not my kitchen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Mr. Benn wrote:
"Judith" wrote in message

[...]

It's the gloss dado rail in the hallway that scares me.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 12:43:57 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

Mr. Benn wrote:
"Judith" wrote in message

[...]

Indeed. Wood should be VARNISHED, not painted.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Maybe . . .
Flying saucers are real and the Air Force doesn't exist.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 10:16:20 -0000, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

Mr. Benn wrote:
"Judith" wrote in message

[...]

Except front doors. Agreed otherwise, although I have difficulty
explaining this concept to SWMBO.

My front door is varnished. Council houses have painted doors.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Mary had a little lamb, it walked into a pylon. 10,000 volts went up it's arse, and turned it's wool to nylon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

wrote:

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 12:43:57 -0000, ARWadsworth
wrote:

Mr. Benn wrote:
"Judith" *wrote in message
. ..

[...]

When the council tenant buys his council house, the first he they does
is fit a "Kentucky" front door. Varnished of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

wrote:

Mr. Benn wrote:
"Judith" wrote in message

[...]

I trust that you have used a UV resistant 'varnish'? If not then your
non-council house door will look worse than a slum-house in a couple of
years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Tim Streater" wrote in message

wrote:

Mr. Benn wrote:
"Judith" wrote in message

[...]

No, council houses have UPVC doors.

Mary had a little lamb, it walked into a pylon.Yes they do. I **** on
council houses, the people and the brats.

10,000 volts went up it's arse, and turned it's wool to nylon.

and that should be its in both cases.

--
Tim

"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines
imposed,

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

wrote:

Mr. Benn wrote:
"Judith" wrote in message

[...]

That's council houses who get at least 5 child benefit payments.

Mary had a little lamb, it walked into a pylon.
10,000 volts went up it's arse, and turned it's wool to nylon.

and that should be its in both cases.

I didn't write it. And it's is actually more logical.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Intercourse prevents divorce.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Mr. Benn wrote:
"Judith" wrote in message

[...]

My gran calls those "dildo rails".

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Why is Bin Laden like a pair of tights?
Because he irritates bush!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

wrote:

Mr. Benn wrote:
"Judith" wrote in message

[...]

I went to a party when some friends were about to embark on sprucing up
the house before putting it on the market. They'd stripped the walls and
various people drew dildos and other sex aids on the plaster below the
"dildo" rail. I've often wondered how long it was after they moved out
that the new owners stripped the paper

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 19:21:11 +0000, Steve Walker

I went to a party when some friends were about to embark on sprucing up
the house before putting it on the market. They'd stripped the walls and
various people drew dildos and other sex aids on the plaster below the
"dildo" rail. I've often wondered how long it was after they moved out
that the new owners stripped the paper

We found some comments and cartoons under some layers of wallpaper,
some of which involved various interactions between what would have
been at the time some young chaps and their bosses wife and daughters.
The chaps names were known to my other half as she has always lived
around here, and they have long run businesses themselves, a
photograph was taken and emailed to them under the subject "remember
this". gave them some amusement particularly as one eventually
married one of the daughters mentioned though what she thought of the
comments about her mother we havn't found out.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 31/12/2011 12:25, Mr. Benn wrote:
"Judith" wrote in message

[...]

The adapter wouldn't worry me at all. The worry always used to be
overloading and that was why people were advised not to use them.
However, all adapters sold for decades have had to be fitted with their
own fuse, so overloading isn't an issue. I've not seen an unfused
adapter for a very long time.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In article ,
Steve Walker writes:

The adapter wouldn't worry me at all. The worry always used to be
overloading and that was why people were advised not to use them.
However, all adapters sold for decades have had to be fitted with their
own fuse, so overloading isn't an issue. I've not seen an unfused
adapter for a very long time.

2-way adapters and double socket outlets don't need fuses.
More than 2-way does.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Steve Walker writes:

The adapter wouldn't worry me at all. The worry always used to be
overloading and that was why people were advised not to use them.
However, all adapters sold for decades have had to be fitted with
their own fuse, so overloading isn't an issue. I've not seen an
unfused adapter for a very long time.

2-way adapters and double socket outlets don't need fuses.
More than 2-way does.

I'll have to have a dig around in my old emails, but I remember sending John
Rumm a link to a 2 to 3 gang convertor plate that did not have a 13A fuse in
it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Steve Walker writes:

The adapter wouldn't worry me at all. The worry always used to be
overloading and that was why people were advised not to use them.
However, all adapters sold for decades have had to be fitted with
their own fuse, so overloading isn't an issue. I've not seen an
unfused adapter for a very long time.

2-way adapters and double socket outlets don't need fuses.
More than 2-way does.

I'll have to have a dig around in my old emails, but I remember sending John
Rumm a link to a 2 to 3 gang convertor plate that did not have a 13A fuse in
it.

I wonder if it was a 2-way from one socket outlet, and 1-way from
the other socket outlet?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 18:02:36 -0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Steve Walker writes:

The adapter wouldn't worry me at all. The worry always used to be
overloading and that was why people were advised not to use them.
However, all adapters sold for decades have had to be fitted with their
own fuse, so overloading isn't an issue. I've not seen an unfused
adapter for a very long time.

2-way adapters and double socket outlets don't need fuses.
More than 2-way does.

They bloody should do, or you could plug two 3kW heaters into a 13A socket.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

What has four legs, is big, green, fuzzy, and if it fell out of a tree would kill you?
A pool table.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Dec 31 2011, 5:20*pm, Steve Walker -
family.me.uk wrote:
On 31/12/2011 12:25, Mr. Benn wrote:

"Judith" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

That's both incorrect and a non-sequitor. Look up the trip time curve
for a 13A fuse. 13A plugs really do get too hot on 20A, some are even
borderline at 13A. I've seen several melt when used on 15A appliances.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

family.me.uk wrote:
On 31/12/2011 12:25, Mr. Benn wrote:

"Judith" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I'm not sure there is any such thing as a 15amp appliance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 01/01/2012 15:07, Ste wrote:
On Jan 1, 11:41 am, wrote:
On Dec 31 2011, 5:20 pm, Steve -

"Judith" wrote in message

[...]

Have a look at a number of welders... designed to be fed from a
dedicated supply, but frequently fitted with a plug and bridged fuse!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Ste writes:

I'm not sure there is any such thing as a 15amp appliance.

I still have a 4 bar electric radiator which I remember from my
childhood as having a 15 amp plug on it.

When used with a 13A plug, the fuse becomes warm and soon blows (tested
with more than one plug).

Each bar is, I think, 1 KW. Though I never measured the current.

No longer in use, of course.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m

electric towel rail - part P legality? Duncan Di Saudelli UK diy 2 August 7th 10 07:57 PM
MIG at home garage legality unix Metalworking 41 April 12th 10 09:55 PM
legality of gas plumbing? Pete UK diy 13 June 15th 05 10:03 PM
Working with gas legality mickael UK diy 9 October 25th 04 10:23 PM
Query: Legality of Electrical work Peter UK diy 36 May 23rd 04 12:13 AM