Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leaky house. Would a surveyor help?

Another Dave wrote:
1928 2-storey detached house. Top storey rendered and somebody put
cavity insulation in 10 years ago ( I've owned it for four years).

Rising damp at the rear and both ends of the upper story have got
penetrating damp - I think. Rather than get estimates from people with
vested interests, would I be better off paying a surveyor to tell me
definitively what's wrong and, if so, how much would he cost?

Another Dave

couple of hundred notes typically for a very good opinion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

couple of hundred notes typically for a very good opinion.

Do you mean surveyors in general give very good opinions or that I'd get
a bad opinion for £100
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 30, 3:29*pm, Another Dave wrote:

couple of hundred notes typically for a very good opinion.

Do you mean surveyors in general give very good opinions or that I'd get
a bad opinion for £100

People claiming damp expertise are very variable, there's no shortage
of unsuitable recommendations & diagnoses, so I'd be rather hesitant
to get a damp expert in, and even more so a non-damp-expert. I'd say
your best bet is to learn about damp in old houses, a good place to do
that is the period property uk forum (assuming its still running). The
sort of techniques used on modern builds are often not suited to old
houses with no dpc, soft bricks, etc.

Damp near ground is more often condensation than rising damp.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote:

couple of hundred notes typically for a very good opinion.

Do you mean surveyors in general give very good opinions or that I'd get
a bad opinion for £100

Both
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 30, 3:29 pm, Another Dave wrote:

couple of hundred notes typically for a very good opinion.

Do you mean surveyors in general give very good opinions or that I'd get
a bad opinion for £100

you'd get "an opinion" either way - trouble is when it turns out to be
wrong they will have already spent your fee on another "must have"
novelty extending ladder that will fit in the Evoque's boot... in any
case I bet you there will be no redress once the small print gets
pointed out.

Jim K