Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decanting some varnish

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I need to decant a small amount of a thick cellulose varnish from a normal
one litre tin into a small bottle to send as a sample.

Any clever ideas on how to do this with the least mess and cleaning of
implements, etc?

Same as honey if similar consistency - spoon and rotate the teaspoon
continuously to keep liquid from falling off. Dribble into new pot.

If much thinner than honey, I'd still use the spoon but scrape the varnish
off the bottom when moving to between pots.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I need to decant a small amount of a thick cellulose varnish from a normal
one litre tin into a small bottle to send as a sample.

Any clever ideas on how to do this with the least mess and cleaning of
implements, etc?

Same as honey if similar consistency - spoon and rotate the teaspoon
continuously to keep liquid from falling off. Dribble into new pot.

If much thinner than honey, I'd still use the spoon but scrape the varnish
off the bottom when moving to between pots.

Roll thin cardboard or thick paper to form a cone-shaped funnel?
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Same as honey if similar consistency - spoon and rotate the teaspoon
continuously to keep liquid from falling off. Dribble into new pot.

If much thinner than honey, I'd still use the spoon but scrape the
varnish off the bottom when moving to between pots.

Snag would be cleaning the varnish off the teaspoon. Haven't got any
cellulose thinners to hand.

--
*TEAMWORK...means never having to take all the blame yourself *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-12-30, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Same as honey if similar consistency - spoon and rotate the teaspoon
continuously to keep liquid from falling off. Dribble into new pot.

If much thinner than honey, I'd still use the spoon but scrape the
varnish off the bottom when moving to between pots.

Snag would be cleaning the varnish off the teaspoon.

Just throw it away.

Are you suggesting that Daves uses a plastic teaspoon instead of one of his
finest silver teaspoons?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 17:22:43 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

Snag would be cleaning the varnish off the teaspoon.

Just throw it away.

Are you suggesting that Daves uses a plastic teaspoon instead of one of
his finest silver teaspoons?

Plastic might be interesting with a cellulose varnish but you don't
need a spoon almost anything stuck in and twiddled will collect
enough for a sample to be transfered into a smaller bottle. Just keep
twiddling, twiddling, just keep twiddling...

Dave doesn't define "thick" to me that means golden syrup viscosity.
A the stick stuck ina twiddled will work for that, even warmed golden
syrup.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
Snag would be cleaning the varnish off the teaspoon.

Just throw it away.

Are you suggesting that Daves uses a plastic teaspoon instead of one
of his finest silver teaspoons?

Or one of the grotty ones that's been sculling about at the back of the
cutlery drawer for decades. Or a 5p one from the charity shop.

The idea was to do it without having to go out and buy anything. And the
only spoons I have are decent ones.

The bit of pipe suggested earlier worked a treat.

--
*He who laughs last has just realised the joke.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson writes:

In message , Tim
Watts writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I need to decant a small amount of a thick cellulose varnish from a normal
one litre tin into a small bottle to send as a sample.

Any clever ideas on how to do this with the least mess and cleaning of
implements, etc?

Same as honey if similar consistency - spoon and rotate the teaspoon
continuously to keep liquid from falling off. Dribble into new pot.

If much thinner than honey, I'd still use the spoon but scrape the varnish
off the bottom when moving to between pots.

Roll thin cardboard or thick paper to form a cone-shaped funnel?

For funnels for paint, its easier to use the top end cut off a
plastic drinks bottle (not that you would want to use a funnel
for this job, especially not plastic).

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:
Snag would be cleaning the varnish off the teaspoon.

Just throw it away.

Are you suggesting that Daves uses a plastic teaspoon instead of one
of his finest silver teaspoons?

Or one of the grotty ones that's been sculling about at the back of
the cutlery drawer for decades. Or a 5p one from the charity shop.

The idea was to do it without having to go out and buy anything. And
the only spoons I have are decent ones.

The bit of pipe suggested earlier worked a treat.

And to be fair, every poster in this group has a piece of copper pipe
somewhere in the shed/garage/van:-)

I wonder if plastic pipe cut with a hacksaw would have worked?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:
Snag would be cleaning the varnish off the teaspoon.

Just throw it away.

Are you suggesting that Daves uses a plastic teaspoon instead of one
of his finest silver teaspoons?

Or one of the grotty ones that's been sculling about at the back of
the cutlery drawer for decades. Or a 5p one from the charity shop.

The idea was to do it without having to go out and buy anything. And
the only spoons I have are decent ones.

The bit of pipe suggested earlier worked a treat.

And to be fair, every poster in this group has a piece of copper pipe
somewhere in the shed/garage/van:-)

I wonder if plastic pipe cut with a hacksaw would have worked?

Careful - you could flood a house with that !

--
geoff

Decanting some varnish Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 December 30th 11 02:08 PM
Varnish PeterC UK diy 3 June 7th 10 08:58 AM
Varnish Grumps[_2_] UK diy 3 December 16th 09 07:43 PM
Where does varnish go? riverman Woodworking 13 May 7th 07 02:49 AM
Water based wood varnish and floor varnish recommendations [email protected] UK diy 3 May 12th 05 03:32 PM