Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I dropped a gooly

Just purchased a Technics twin cassette deck model no RS-X101 off eBay and
dropped a right gooly.

I assumed that it plugged into the mains, but it doesn't, it has a very
small flat 3pin plug on the back to connect to a lead from the amplifier
which I do not have.

I am hoping that someone is able to let me know what the 3 pins are and the
orientation so that I can make up a power supply instead of going to the
expense of purchasing an amp which I do not really need.

Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2011 08:06, the_constructor wrote:
Just purchased a Technics twin cassette deck model no RS-X101 off eBay and
dropped a right gooly.

I assumed that it plugged into the mains, but it doesn't, it has a very
small flat 3pin plug on the back to connect to a lead from the amplifier
which I do not have.

I am hoping that someone is able to let me know what the 3 pins are and the
orientation so that I can make up a power supply instead of going to the
expense of purchasing an amp which I do not really need.

If you are prepared to put good money after bad the Technics service
manuals are online for about $5 (Tek scope manuals were free elsewhere).

http://www.technics.owner-manuals.co...-TECHNICS.html

Or you could try asking in sci.electronics and hope someone has one.

I would be inclined to take a look inside and then make an educated
guess about what power it requires. YMMV

Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 08:06:55 -0000
"the_constructor" wrote:

Just purchased a Technics twin cassette deck model no RS-X101 off
eBay and dropped a right gooly.

I assumed that it plugged into the mains, but it doesn't, it has a
very small flat 3pin plug on the back to connect to a lead from the
amplifier which I do not have.

I am hoping that someone is able to let me know what the 3 pins are
and the orientation so that I can make up a power supply instead of
going to the expense of purchasing an amp which I do not really need.

Jim G

This place might be worth looking at. I got a couple of DIN cables from
them to get my old Goodmans Module 80 receiver working again.
http://www.flashbacksales.co.uk/

Good luck.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 13/12/2011 08:06, the_constructor wrote:
Just purchased a Technics twin cassette deck model no RS-X101 off eBay and
dropped a right gooly.

I assumed that it plugged into the mains, but it doesn't, it has a very
small flat 3pin plug on the back to connect to a lead from the amplifier
which I do not have.

I am hoping that someone is able to let me know what the 3 pins are and the
orientation so that I can make up a power supply instead of going to the
expense of purchasing an amp which I do not really need.

Jim G

Dtmwfi, but it looks like 12.5v AC centre tapped, the centre pin on the
connector helpfully being the centre tap.
Check for yourself in case I've read the schem wrong!

Schem for the corresponding amp he
http://elektrotanya.com/technics_su-.../download.html
(site lets you download 1 file without registering)

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Just read that back and it looks ambiguous, I meant 12v-0v-12v ac, hope
that's clearer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
the_constructor wrote:
Just purchased a Technics twin cassette deck model no RS-X101 off eBay
and dropped a right gooly.

I assumed that it plugged into the mains, but it doesn't, it has a very
small flat 3pin plug on the back to connect to a lead from the amplifier
which I do not have.

I am hoping that someone is able to let me know what the 3 pins are and
the orientation so that I can make up a power supply instead of going
to the expense of purchasing an amp which I do not really need.

This is a mains connector? Definitely for 230V?

But I can't remember ever having seen such a thing, despite years of
playing with Hi-Fi.

Unless you really are worried about looks, I'd be inclined to convert to
an IEC plug and socket - or even just fit a captive mains lead. These
special cables can cost a fortune even if you can find one.

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd be tempted to look inside and see if it actually has a transformer. If
its part of a midi system they were quite small and the transformer was in
the amp so it did not induce hum into the tape heads.
However having said that, I've not ever seen a Technics that had no mains
input. Many of them use the old figure of 8 connectors, but there is one
from the us market that looks like a figure of 8 with an extra pin slightly
above the other two. If its one of those, one might be able to find one as
Dell laptops a few years ago had them on their psu mains input.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
the_constructor wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I'd be tempted to look inside and see if it actually has a transformer.
If its part of a midi system they were quite small and the transformer
was in the amp so it did not induce hum into the tape heads. However
having said that, I've not ever seen a Technics that had no mains
input. Many of them use the old figure of 8 connectors, but there is one
from the us market that looks like a figure of 8 with an extra pin
slightly above the other two. If its one of those, one might be able to
find one as Dell laptops a few years ago had them on their psu mains
input.

I've not seen a transistor design which uses this principle - although it
was quite common with valve types.

--
*The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2011 14:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
Many of them use the old figure of 8 connectors, but there is one
from the us market that looks like a figure of 8 with an extra pin slightly
above the other two. If its one of those, one might be able to find one as
Dell laptops a few years ago had them on their psu mains input.
Brian

Do you meand a C5/C6?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320#C5.2FC6_coupler
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
the_constructor wrote:
Just purchased a Technics twin cassette deck model no RS-X101 off eBay
and dropped a right gooly.

I assumed that it plugged into the mains, but it doesn't, it has a very
small flat 3pin plug on the back to connect to a lead from the amplifier
which I do not have.

I am hoping that someone is able to let me know what the 3 pins are and
the orientation so that I can make up a power supply instead of going
to the expense of purchasing an amp which I do not really need.

This is a mains connector? Definitely for 230V?

I don't think so.

I gave one of these systems to the children some years ago. My memory is
that the amplifier is the base PSU for the stack of devices and the
interconnects for power are proprietary. It gives the advantage that one
switch controls the power to all devices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Lee, I downloaded the file but can not see where you would think it
is a 12.5V AC centre tapped. Could you point me a little closer ?

Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lee" wrote in message
Just read that back and it looks ambiguous, I meant 12v-0v-12v ac, hope
that's clearer

If it is this, then that is easy to sort out. Just put a different connector
on rear panel and connect to circuit board.

Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
the_constructor wrote:

"Lee" wrote in message
Just read that back and it looks ambiguous, I meant 12v-0v-12v ac,
hope that's clearer

If it is this, then that is easy to sort out. Just put a different
connector on rear panel and connect to circuit board.

That's what I'd do if it were mains too.

--
*I brake for no apparent reason.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 14:59:45 -0000, Chris Bartram wrote:

On 13/12/2011 14:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
Many of them use the old figure of 8 connectors, but there is one
from the us market that looks like a figure of 8 with an extra pin slightly
above the other two. If its one of those, one might be able to find one as
Dell laptops a few years ago had them on their psu mains input.
Brian

Do you meand a C5/C6?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320#C5.2FC6_coupler

That's certainly the one Dell laptops use(d). I always knew it as a "cloverleaf".

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 13/12/2011 19:26, the_constructor wrote:

Thanks Lee, I downloaded the file but can not see where you would think it
is a 12.5V AC centre tapped. Could you point me a little closer ?

Ok lets see if I can explain this without pictures....

On page 8 of the pdf (actually page 9 of the document) there is a block
which says section B Input/Output terminal, just to the right of this it
says "Tape power supply" and show pins 1,2 and 3 with legend a,b and c
concatenated into one line.
If you follow this single line across the document to pdf page 10
(document page 13) the single line again becomes "a,b,c" at the main
transformer (pins 3,4,5) which shows 12.5v across each half of the
centre tap.

So as long as I'm reading it correctly you should just need a simple
12v-0v-12v transformer. Of course you are going to have to guess at a
current rating, because there is no indication of that in the document.

Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Many thanks Lee, I was looking at wrong part of circuit. Further along page
13.....
Yep, just a transformer needed. I don't think it would need more than 2amp,
so will go digging in my shed.
Thanks again
Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lee
wrote
[...]

If the first components in the tape deck is a bridge rectifier then DC
(9/10V) from a wall wart type supply to the outer two pins may also
work.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:

If the first components in the tape deck is a bridge rectifier then DC
(9/10V) from a wall wart type supply to the outer two pins may also work.

But then you'll be running two of the diodes at 100% duty ratio, and the
two will sit idle, rather than all four having a 50% duty ratio, so you
might push the rectifier to an early death ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 14/12/2011 19:27, Alan wrote:

If the first components in the tape deck is a bridge rectifier then DC
(9/10V) from a wall wart type supply to the outer two pins may also work.

I can see your reasoning, but I'm fairly certain that this deck is going
to want a dual rail supply for the op amps and it's unlikely to work
from a single ended supply.
Plus 12v ac gives roughly 17v dc once rectified and smoothed so 10v
would probably be too low anyway....

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 14/12/2011 19:37, Andy Burns wrote:

But then you'll be running two of the diodes at 100% duty ratio, and the
two will sit idle, rather than all four having a 50% duty ratio, so you
might push the rectifier to an early death ...

There was a long argument in one of the electronics groups about this
very point - I don't think it was resolved for either side....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 8:06:55 AM UTC, the_constructor wrote:
Just purchased a Technics twin cassette deck model no RS-X101 off eBay and
dropped a right gooly.

I assumed that it plugged into the mains, but it doesn't, it has a very
small flat 3pin plug on the back to connect to a lead from the amplifier
which I do not have.

I am hoping that someone is able to let me know what the 3 pins are and the
orientation so that I can make up a power supply instead of going to the
expense of purchasing an amp which I do not really need.

Jim G

Hi Jim,

I've just made exactly the same mistake!

Can you help me? How did constructing your own power supply go?

Harry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am hoping that someone is able to let me know what the 3 pins are
and the orientation so that I can make up a power supply instead of
going to the expense of purchasing an amp which I do not really need.

Jim G

Hi Jim,

I've just made exactly the same mistake!

Can you help me? How did constructing your own power supply go?

Harry

Does it need and Amplifer for the output. It is an audio "separate" isn't
it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 08:19:42 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 8:06:55 AM UTC, the_constructor wrote:
Just purchased a Technics twin cassette deck model no RS-X101 off eBay and
dropped a right gooly.

I assumed that it plugged into the mains, but it doesn't, it has a very
small flat 3pin plug on the back to connect to a lead from the amplifier
which I do not have.

I am hoping that someone is able to let me know what the 3 pins are and the
orientation so that I can make up a power supply instead of going to the
expense of purchasing an amp which I do not really need.

Jim G

Hi Jim,

I've just made exactly the same mistake!

Can you help me? How did constructing your own power supply go?

It seems it needs 12.5AC-0-12.5VAC so no power supply - just a centre
tapped transformer.

From the original thread several years ago a correspondent Lee wrote
(referring to the service manual for the matching amplifier and power
supply) -

"On page 8 of the pdf (actually page 9 of the document) there is a
block which says section B Input/Output terminal, just to the right of
this it says "Tape power supply" and show pins 1,2 and 3 with legend
a,b and c concatenated into one line. (Area F or G 15 on the diagram
grid)

If you follow this single line across the document to pdf page 10
(document page 13) the single line again becomes "a,b,c" at the main
transformer (pins 3,4,5) which shows 12.5v across each half of the
centre tap. (Just above and to the left of the page number -13-)

So as long as I'm reading it correctly you should just need a simple
12v-0v-12v transformer. Of course you are going to have to guess at a
current rating, because there is no indication of that in the
document. "

The service manual being referred to is at

http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%...tpVpH7GLo98fNw

Dropped kurb DerbyBorn UK diy 39 June 19th 11 12:56 PM
O/T: The Hammer Dropped Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 98 December 3rd 10 06:46 AM
Sharp DV-L80 dropped [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 September 2nd 07 02:50 AM
Dropped kerb John UK diy 20 April 25th 07 05:56 PM
Dropped Sanyo TV Bill Electronics Repair 4 December 18th 04 04:33 AM