Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oils for wood

What's the difference between the various oils for woods - Danish,
Tung, Teak , etc. I've made a wooden item for Xmas presents and it
could well get left out so if any finish an oil would be best but
which one ?

Thanks
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , RCW
writes

"robgraham" wrote in message
What's the difference between the various oils for woods - Danish,
Tung, Teak , etc. I've made a wooden item for Xmas presents and it
could well get left out so if any finish an oil would be best but
which one ?

WD40

;-)

Was that a tongue-in-cheek ;-) ?
Actually, WD40 does a pretty good job of preserving wood.
--
Ian

..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2011 17:09, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , RCW
writes

"robgraham" wrote in message
What's the difference between the various oils for woods - Danish,
Tung, Teak , etc. I've made a wooden item for Xmas presents and it
could well get left out so if any finish an oil would be best but
which one ?

WD40

;-)

Was that a tongue-in-cheek ;-) ?
Actually, WD40 does a pretty good job of preserving wood.

Does it? It certainly creates a surface sheen that reflects light and
gives the illusion of a seal. Whether it offers any real resistance to
water and/or uv is another matter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , stuart noble
writes

"robgraham" wrote in message
What's the difference between the various oils for woods - Danish,
Tung, Teak , etc. I've made a wooden item for Xmas presents and it
could well get left out so if any finish an oil would be best but
which one ?

WD40

;-)

Was that a tongue-in-cheek ;-) ?
Actually, WD40 does a pretty good job of preserving wood.

Does it? It certainly creates a surface sheen that reflects light and
gives the illusion of a seal. Whether it offers any real resistance to
water and/or uv is another matter.

Well, it does seem to prevent rot. As it seems to do a pretty good job
of killing off vegetation (which you may have found out if you've ever
accidentally sprayed some on your lawn), I presume it also kills the
organisms which cause rot.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 5:35*pm, robgraham wrote:
What's the difference between the various oils for woods - Danish,
Tung, Teak , etc. *I've made a wooden item for Xmas presents and it
could well get left out so if any finish an oil would be best but
which one ?

Thanks
Rob

Teak oil doesn't have driers in it, so ittakes an age to stop being
sticky, unless you wipe of all the surface oil. I would use Danish
oil.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2011 18:15, Jonathan wrote:
On Dec 8, 5:35 pm, wrote:

What's the difference between the various oils for woods - Danish,
Tung, Teak , etc. I've made a wooden item for Xmas presents and it
could well get left out so if any finish an oil would be best but
which one ?

Thanks
Rob

Teak oil doesn't have driers in it, so ittakes an age to stop being
sticky, unless you wipe of all the surface oil. I would use Danish
oil.

I would too. Especially since I have a bit left on the shelf.

Although I would probably have applied it a month or two back to allow
plenty of time for it to dry/polymerise before wrspping it up. Teak oil
might be better if it is to live outside permanently in the elements and
the oil is applied in situ.

Oh and the OP should remember that any rags soaked in this stuff can
release heat on polymerising and if you are very unlucky spontaneously
catch fire after a while.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 5:35 pm, *wrote:
[...]

This how to apply danish oil to open pored timber:
http://woodworking.com/ww/Article/Su...nish_7507.aspx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/11 17:35, robgraham wrote:
What's the difference between the various oils for woods - Danish,
Tung, Teak , etc. I've made a wooden item for Xmas presents and it
could well get left out so if any finish an oil would be best but
which one ?

Thanks
Rob

Some "dry" and form a varnish, some don't. Of those that dry, some take
longer than others - some are assisted by "driers" (additives). Some are
toxic (mostly because of toxic additives). Some are "food safe"
(apparently, some non-toxic oils can react with stuff in food to produce
toxins, so non-toxic is not necessarily safe for prolonged contact with
food).

For a drying oil, to be ready for Christmas, use Danish oil. Leave
wrapping it until the last possible moment so it has as much time to
cure as possible, and doesn't have a smooth surface in contact with the
finish for long (else you'll tend to get shiny spots where there was
contact).

Starting now for Christmas 2012, I'd use Tung oil in many coats with
plenty of time between coats to produce a deep lustrous coating that
doesn't change the colour of the wood much and provides a very durable
finish.

For a non-drying oil, use something like caster oil or baby lotion.

And for something in the middle, walnut oil. It dries naturally, but
only very slowly.

Note: drying is a term of art. Chemically, it is polymerisation and
cross linking.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 5:35*pm, robgraham wrote:
What's the difference between the various oils for woods - Danish,
Tung, Teak , etc. *I've made a wooden item for Xmas presents and it
could well get left out so if any finish an oil would be best but
which one ?

It basically comes down to how often you want to polish it. A pourus
wood wants all sorts of preparation, a close grained wood you can just
go straight to the finish.

With a long lasting hard shine finish tung oil will be the hardest. It
is or was used in paints and varnishes to accelerate the hardening
process.

Oil finishes require re-polishing every year or so but that is just to
remove dirty wax. You use a little turps on wire wool then oil it
again.

With a hard finish a clean up is a major sand down that is only needed
very infrequently.

Yer pays yer munee...

Tung oiled rags and wire can catch fire without being anywhere near a
flame. Dispose of carefully.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2011 13:01, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Dec 8, 5:35 pm, wrote:
[...]

IME no finish lasts long outdoors. I leave everything to go silver grey
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 5:35 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Many thanks, guys, for your advice and knowledge. think I may have
made a minor problem for myself in that items in question - holders
for balls of garden twine - are for a craft sale next Saturday. It
sounds as if no more than two coats of Danish oil and some drying in
the house. I could leave them raw but I feel some sort of finish is
required.

I've made them out of ash as that is what I had and am not sure in
hindsight that was the best wood as if they do get left out - and any
self respecting gardener should of course put his tools away ... but
does forget sometimes - the open grainness of the wood will be prone
to absorbing water regardless of the finish.

Rob

Help me get my oils straight Aaron Fude Home Repair 7 October 3rd 09 03:21 PM
Mixing soluble oils? Misting oils as flood coolant? Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 4 October 30th 07 04:25 PM
Nut Oils robo hippy Woodturning 19 July 25th 05 10:56 AM
oils for chopping boards Grainger Morris Woodworking 16 December 14th 03 02:36 PM
Spindle oils Ed Huntress Metalworking 8 December 7th 03 05:55 AM