Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mortice latch bust

OK how does one get a door open that is fitted with a mortice latch
when the mechanisium linking the handle/bar to the latch bolt only
withdraws the latch bolt a little bit before going "click" and
letting the bolt fly back out?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
OK how does one get a door open that is fitted with a mortice latch
when the mechanisium linking the handle/bar to the latch bolt only
withdraws the latch bolt a little bit before going "click" and
letting the bolt fly back out?

The mechanism has worn, meaning the bar isn't operating correctly.

Take the four screws holding the handle to the door and remove, along with
the square bar, then turn the square hole with a wide screwdriver or
whatever will fit it tightly

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 29/11/2011 21:52, Phil L wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
OK how does one get a door open that is fitted with a mortice latch
when the mechanisium linking the handle/bar to the latch bolt only
withdraws the latch bolt a little bit before going "click" and
letting the bolt fly back out?

The mechanism has worn, meaning the bar isn't operating correctly.

Take the four screws holding the handle to the door and remove, along with
the square bar, then turn the square hole with a wide screwdriver or
whatever will fit it tightly

And hope that works!
I had similar and it was the mechanism (cheap) that had bust inside.
First time I managed to get a screwdriver manipulate the latch back in
conjunction with the handle turning it so far. Next time I had to bust
it open. (wasnt my house)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2011 21:35, Dave Liquorice wrote:
OK how does one get a door open that is fitted with a mortice latch
when the mechanisium linking the handle/bar to the latch bolt only
withdraws the latch bolt a little bit before going "click" and
letting the bolt fly back out?

Common problem. I sort out a couple a month.

The latch's just disintegrate or jam completely. Never been able to get
one open by removing the handle.

If possible you need to remove the slam strip which is usually nailed
on. Run a craft knife along the paint line to minimise damage, then
prize it off.

This should allow you to get a pry bar in. Then use a hacksaw blade or
similar to push the curved surface of the latch.

If its a rebate rather than a slam strip you will have to cut a piece
away, Fein/Bosch PMF type tool is ideal because of the very thin kerf.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:04:24 -0800 (PST), NT wrote:

OK how does one get a door open that is fitted with a mortice

latch
when the mechanisium linking the handle/bar to the latch bolt

only
withdraws the latch bolt a little bit before going "click" and
letting the bolt fly back out?

The mechanism has worn, meaning the bar isn't operating

correctly.

Bust actually one of the little arms that push against the rear of
the latch had broken off.

Take the four screws holding the handle to the door and remove,

along
with the square bar, then turn the square hole with a wide

screwdriver
or whatever will fit it tightly

Tried that but no joy. Looking at it I think it should have worked
when turning the bar the "wrong" way to use the upper arm arther than
the remnants of the broken lower one but it didn't seem to. Will have
to investigate.

Latch tongues can generally be retracted using a couple of kitchen
knives.

Managed to pry it back. "Distress" purchase of new mechanisium from
B&Q...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 30, 4:08*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
[...]

Good one. I'd be distressed too if I bought anything from there.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2011 16:08, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

I've never managed to get a busted one to retract using the square hole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 17:42:12 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

nor have I - we have a 17 y o who often slamms his door :-) so I have had
to replace that one twice now - last time I ran the knife down the slam
strip eased it off enough with a chisel to get a hacksaw blade in and
pushed the bolt back with the hacksaw against the rounded side :-) - now
replaced with a 19mm ball catch to much muttering about privacy, my room,
cant shut the door lol
--
(º€¢.¸(¨*€¢.¸ ¸.€¢*¨)¸.€¢Âº)
.€¢Â°€¢. Nik .€¢Â°€¢.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2011 18:37, Ghostrecon wrote:
[...]

I often replace them with ball catches - if the client agrees.

I've mainly come across FUBARed catches that keep you 'out' of the room,
but I once had one that locked someone in!

Teen aged lad in bedroom similar to your scenario. His mum called me &
I called his mobile back. Talked him through it over the phone, much
easier to force the bolt back from inside.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Teen aged lad in bedroom similar to your scenario. His mum called me
& I called his mobile back. Talked him through it over the phone,
much easier to force the bolt back from inside.

Why is that? Assuming the door opens into the room, the rounded part of the
catch will be on the outside of the door. That's the part you have to push
against. OTOH, coming from the outside, you have the door stop in the way.

--
Register as an organ donor with the NHS online. It takes 1 minute and
saves you carrying an organ donor card with you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2011 16:34, GB wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Teen aged lad in bedroom similar to your scenario. His mum called me
& I called his mobile back. Talked him through it over the phone,
much easier to force the bolt back from inside.

Why is that? Assuming the door opens into the room, the rounded part of the
catch will be on the outside of the door. That's the part you have to push
against. OTOH, coming from the outside, you have the door stop in the way.

No door stop to remove. Just get a knife blade behind it & lever.