Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thick goo for sticking vinyl tiles to screeded floor?

What kind of adhesive would one use to stick vinyl floor tiles to a
screeded floor? Self-adhesive tiles won't work, because the screed just
isn't smooth enough for them to stick to.

Back in the 1960's I watched a guy sticking Marley tiles to my parents'
screeded kitchen floor using what looked like molten bitumen. The finished
job was excellent and extremely durable; it has lasted to this day. I don't
want to get involved with melting bitumen if I can help it; hopefully there
is something nowadays that can be spread straight from the can, that will
fill in any minor pits in the screeding. Can anyone recommend anything?

TIA

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/11 21:42, AL_n wrote:
What kind of adhesive would one use to stick vinyl floor tiles to a
screeded floor? Self-adhesive tiles won't work, because the screed just
isn't smooth enough for them to stick to.

I'd use:

http://www.f-ball.co.uk/product_deta...atID=resilient

However if the floor isn't smooth enough, you'll have problems, I'd do
something about that first, using something like:

http://www.f-ball.co.uk/product_deta...ID=smoot hing
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 25, 9:42*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
What kind of adhesive would one use to stick vinyl floor tiles to a
screeded floor? Self-adhesive tiles won't work, because the screed just
isn't smooth enough for them to stick to.

Back in the 1960's I watched a guy sticking Marley tiles to my parents'
screeded kitchen floor using what looked like molten bitumen. The finished
job was excellent and extremely durable; it has lasted to this day. I don't
want to get involved with melting bitumen if I can help it; hopefully there
is something nowadays that can be spread straight from the can, that will
fill in any minor pits in the screeding. Can anyone recommend anything?

TIA

Al

Bitumen works well. You can buy it in tins in liquid form, it has
added white spirit, paraffin or similar. Works great, but has a couple
of issues to look out for. First, when covered over with vinyl its
very slow drying, it takes a few days. 2nd, its not low tack, so if
the tile doesnt lay flat by itself it needs weighting down while it
sets, ie for a few days. 3rd dont apply too much or it oozes up
between tiles, and is a pain to clean up.

But, the floor must be smooth. Just a 2mm shift in level will over
time slice through a vinyl tile.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 25, 9:42*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
What kind of adhesive would one use to stick vinyl floor tiles to a
screeded floor? Self-adhesive tiles won't work, because the screed just
isn't smooth enough for them to stick to.

Back in the 1960's I watched a guy sticking Marley tiles to my parents'
screeded kitchen floor using what looked like molten bitumen. The finished
job was excellent and extremely durable; it has lasted to this day. I don't
want to get involved with melting bitumen if I can help it; hopefully there
is something nowadays that can be spread straight from the can, that will
fill in any minor pits in the screeding. Can anyone recommend anything?

TIA

Al

Evo stick. The rubber based contact stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

On Nov 25, 9:42 pm, "AL_n" wrote:
[...]

And if you ever want to take the tiles up and lay stone, it's a bitch
because you'll have to get it all off (nearly impossible, short of grinding
the floor).

I'd stick with a rubberised glue.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 26, 9:27*am, Tim Watts wrote:
NT wrote:
On Nov 25, 9:42 pm, "AL_n" wrote:
[...]

Its only necessary to get enough off for the adhesive to stick.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

And if you ever want to take the tiles up and lay stone, it's a bitch
because you'll have to get it all off (nearly impossible, short of
grinding the floor).

I'd stick with a rubberised glue.

Its only necessary to get enough off for the adhesive to stick.

NT

Not with bitumen - it all has to come off, or take your chances with more
bitumen and blinding sand.

What you say applies to rubber-glue (evostik type) but definately not
bitumen which is the basatrd from hell if you need to deal with it

I had to use a floor grinder to take a few mm of screed off along with the
bitumen crap on top, which is not something you want to do in a house that
is not an empty building site. Come to think of it, it's not a lot of fin in
a house that is a building site - trust me...

The reason I know bitumen is unstable is some jokers tried to put SLC on top
and the bond sheared with a few seasons temperatur cycles. I don;t think
cement tile adhesive would fare any better...

--
Tim Watts