Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone used GX53 lamps?

And I mean GX53, sometimes known as disk lights, not GX5.3

I'm wondering about using these, in a new build, instead of GU10 or MR16
type fittings. They're available as CFLs 7w to 13w, and some LEDs also.
The fittings are surface or recessed.

The surface mount saves holes in the ceiling, and they don't hang down
like pendants, so I'm thinking good for utility, storage, larder areas.
And maybe under or in kitchen wall units.

But what would they be like in other areas? Maybe as corridor lighting,
or background for walking through an area (as opposed to task or
ambience lighting). The only one I've seen was in a display, with a lot
of other lighting. It looked fine, but maybe not a typical setup.

So, if anyone has any feedback, I'd be grateful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 23, 3:57*pm, (gordon) wrote:
And I mean GX53, sometimes known as disk lights, not GX5.3

I'm wondering about using these, in a new build, instead of GU10 or MR16
type fittings. They're available as CFLs 7w to 13w, and some LEDs also.
The fittings are surface or recessed.

The surface mount saves holes in the ceiling, and they don't hang down
like pendants, so I'm thinking good for utility, storage, larder areas.
And maybe under or in kitchen wall units.

But what would they be like in other areas? Maybe as corridor lighting,
or background for walking through an area (as opposed to task or
ambience lighting). The only one I've seen was in a display, with a lot
of other lighting. It looked fine, but maybe not a typical setup.

So, if anyone has any feedback, I'd be grateful.

Pricey, from the few sellers I've seen them at.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, NT
writes
On Nov 23, 3:57*pm, (gordon) wrote:
And I mean GX53, sometimes known as disk lights, not GX5.3

I'm wondering about using these, in a new build, instead of GU10 or MR16
type fittings. They're available as CFLs 7w to 13w, and some LEDs also.
The fittings are surface or recessed.

The surface mount saves holes in the ceiling, and they don't hang down
like pendants, so I'm thinking good for utility, storage, larder areas.
And maybe under or in kitchen wall units.

But what would they be like in other areas? Maybe as corridor lighting,
or background for walking through an area (as opposed to task or
ambience lighting). The only one I've seen was in a display, with a lot
of other lighting. It looked fine, but maybe not a typical setup.

So, if anyone has any feedback, I'd be grateful.

Pricey, from the few sellers I've seen them at.

Really?

A quick search has them at around £5-8 a fitting.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:

In message
, NT
writes
On Nov 23, 3:57 pm, (gordon) wrote:
[...]

Yes, lamps seem to be about the same as GU10 CFLs. LED prices about the
same tpp. Fittings are dirt cheap for under-cabinet, a bit more with a
nice trim.
But what sort of light do they give, out of a utilitarian context?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 23, 4:49*pm, chris French
wrote:
In message
, NT
writes

On Nov 23, 3:57*pm, (gordon) wrote:
[...]

I forget now, doesnt it cost about that each time the lamp dies?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gordon" wrote in message
k...
And I mean GX53, sometimes known as disk lights, not GX5.3

I'm wondering about using these, in a new build, instead of GU10 or MR16
type fittings. They're available as CFLs 7w to 13w, and some LEDs also.
The fittings are surface or recessed.

The surface mount saves holes in the ceiling, and they don't hang down
like pendants, so I'm thinking good for utility, storage, larder areas.
And maybe under or in kitchen wall units.

But what would they be like in other areas? Maybe as corridor lighting,
or background for walking through an area (as opposed to task or
ambience lighting). The only one I've seen was in a display, with a lot
of other lighting. It looked fine, but maybe not a typical setup.

So, if anyone has any feedback, I'd be grateful.

I have some of these in our kitchen as inset "under cabinet" lighting over
the work surface.
They provide adequate light plus of course they don't generate much heat.so
I think they work quite well for that and look very neat.
But I don't think they would be that good as ceiling lighting - probably not
even as good as same rating GU10 CFL's which are a bit gloomy IMO !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 23, 11:38*pm, NT wrote:
On Nov 23, 4:49*pm, chris French
wrote:

In message
, NT
writes

On Nov 23, 3:57*pm, (gordon) wrote:
[...]

Its a while since I looked at these, memory not that good. Check the
ones you're considering are a decent CCT, 2700-3000K, maybe 3500, not
something nasty like 4000K

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

On Nov 23, 11:38 pm, NT wrote:
On Nov 23, 4:49 pm, chris French
wrote:

In message
, NT
writes

On Nov 23, 3:57 pm, (gordon) wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I'm not really a big fan of CFLs (hope LEDs improve fast!), but
yes, warm white or extra warm white only.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:

"gordon" wrote in message
k...
[...]

Thanks. Not as good as GU10s - would that depend on the brand, I wonder,
(watts being the same) or is it the shape?. I'll look at lumen ratings.
Probably Ok for larder, store rooms, but maybe I need to double up the
fittings.

2D Lamps The Medway Handyman[_2_] UK diy 7 February 14th 10 11:58 PM
LED MR 11 lamps Derek ^ UK diy 3 November 7th 05 12:37 PM
O.T. Making clear lamps into amber lamps NokNokMan Metalworking 14 October 12th 05 05:46 PM