Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Poly glue

I've got twin outside taps that freeze in the winter. Unfortunately
the outside tap covers I have seen are all singles. It is a pain
defrosting them and I think the hot water could damage them. Sometimes
I use the taps several times a day, it is slow and messy tying a towel
round them and when very cold they still freeze.

I have got hold of an old polystyrene box. I plan to put it over the
taps and hold it in place with bungees attached to surrounding wall
mounted plant holders.I think it will be quicker and less mess and I
hope it will be warmer. I would like to glue extra polystyrene onto
the box what would be a suitable glue? Also, should I paint the brick
work around the taps with a water protective?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 21, 9:05*pm, Jim K wrote:
On Nov 21, 8:38 pm, wrote:

I've got twin outside taps that freeze in the winter. Unfortunately
the outside tap covers I have seen are all singles. It is a pain
defrosting them and I think the hot water could damage them. Sometimes
I use the taps several times a day, it is slow and messy tying a towel
round them and when very cold they still freeze.

I have got hold of an old polystyrene box. I plan to put it over the
taps and hold it in place with bungees attached to surrounding wall
mounted plant holders.I think it will be quicker and less mess and I
hope it will be warmer. I would like to glue extra polystyrene onto
the box what would be a suitable glue?

pva

Thank you for your suggestion. I have a bottle of "no nonsense" PVA
from screwfix, but the label says internal use only.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2011 21:48, Chade wrote:
On Nov 21, 9:05 pm, Jim wrote:
On Nov 21, 8:38 pm, wrote:

I've got twin outside taps that freeze in the winter. Unfortunately
the outside tap covers I have seen are all singles. It is a pain
defrosting them and I think the hot water could damage them. Sometimes
I use the taps several times a day, it is slow and messy tying a towel
round them and when very cold they still freeze.

I have got hold of an old polystyrene box. I plan to put it over the
taps and hold it in place with bungees attached to surrounding wall
mounted plant holders.I think it will be quicker and less mess and I
hope it will be warmer. I would like to glue extra polystyrene onto
the box what would be a suitable glue?

pva

Thank you for your suggestion. I have a bottle of "no nonsense" PVA
from screwfix, but the label says internal use only.

Shouldn't be a problem as you will (presumably) be applying the glue
over a reasonable area, and expanded polystyrene is waterproof so the
weather won't really get at it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On Nov 21, 8:38 pm, wrote:
I've got twin outside taps that freeze in the winter. Unfortunately
the outside tap covers I have seen are all singles. It is a pain
defrosting them and I think the hot water could damage them. Sometimes
I use the taps several times a day, it is slow and messy tying a towel
round them and when very cold they still freeze.

I have got hold of an old polystyrene box. I plan to put it over the
taps and hold it in place with bungees attached to surrounding wall
mounted plant holders.I think it will be quicker and less mess and I
hope it will be warmer. I would like to glue extra polystyrene onto
the box what would be a suitable glue?

pva

Not outdoors.

Haviong built many model aicaft out of poly foam, the two glues that
work in the damp are epoxy and hot glue, and there is a water based
contact - thixofix style stuff - that smells of ammonia: that works OK
too, but is unkown in the damp but the hot glue is the easiest.

Sticks like **** might work also, ar any 'no more nails', but again,
unkown in damp conditions

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 21, 9:05 pm, Jim wrote:
On Nov 21, 8:38 pm, wrote:

[...]

I can assure you in time, it will

It also takes DAYS to dry, because the air cant get at it either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 21, 9:05 pm, Jim wrote:
On Nov 21, 8:38 pm, wrote:

[...]

time for a durability test OP? cheap pva that we know you already
have, or poss investment in hot glue guns?

polystyrene is vapour permeable so PVA will dry (and does dry),

I'm guessing there are "a few" more days til winter starts proper....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 21, 9:05 pm, Jim wrote:
On Nov 21, 8:38 pm, wrote:
[...]

that cost total peanuts..

Still if you wont take ten years plus experience of gluing crashed foam
planes back together and making them in the first place, more fool you.

polystyrene is vapour permeable so PVA will dry (and does dry),

I'm guessing there are "a few" more days til winter starts proper....

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Still if you wont take ten years plus experience of gluing crashed foam
planes back together and making them in the first place, more fool you.

So you would use?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Newshound wrote:

Still if you wont take ten years plus experience of gluing crashed foam
planes back together and making them in the first place, more fool you.

So you would use?

I told him already. Epoxy for sensible, because it sets, and air drying
in a foam joint takes a LONG time. Which rather rules out 'no more ****'
glues as well.

I've had success with water based contact..BUT ..water based?

Hot glue for speed..that's what is always used in model aircraft display
teams when CA will damage..sets in seconds flies again in minutes. and
unlike the old 'glue pots' the modern glues are petroleum based and
don't absorb water.

So epoxy - bit its expensive and heavy or hot glue, as strong as the
foam is and a lot cheaper.

smear some on one piece. slap it on another piece, wait 30 seconds. Done!

Hot glue gun can be got for less than a fiver...after angle grinders and
car body filler....comes hot glue guns!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 21, 8:38*pm, wrote:
I've got twin outside taps that freeze in the winter. Unfortunately
the outside tap covers I have seen are all singles. It is a pain
defrosting them and I think the hot water could damage them. Sometimes
I use the taps several times a day, it is slow and messy tying a towel
round them and when very cold they still freeze.

I have got hold of an old polystyrene box. I plan to put it over the
taps and hold it in place with bungees attached to surrounding wall
mounted plant holders.I think it will be quicker and less mess and I
hope it will be warmer. I would like to glue extra polystyrene onto
the box what would be a suitable glue?

Also, should I paint the brick
work around the taps with a water protective?

It may reduce water absorption but it will also reduce evaporation,
and that often ends up with wetter than before brickwork, thus more
prone to freeze thaw damage.

Thanks.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How about foaming polyurethane glue. Apply liberally without gloves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"m1ss_wh1te" wrote in message
How about foaming polyurethane glue. Apply liberally without gloves.

I can't believe I have just waded through that load of ****.
A bit of plastic foam pipe insulation does the job as good as it can be
done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
"m1ss_wh1te" wrote in message
How about foaming polyurethane glue. Apply liberally without gloves.

I can't believe I have just waded through that load of ****.
A bit of plastic foam pipe insulation does the job as good as it can be
done.

yebbut s'all Natural innit? ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
"m1ss_wh1te" wrote in message
How about foaming polyurethane glue. Apply liberally without gloves.

I can't believe I have just waded through that load of ****.
A bit of plastic foam pipe insulation does the job as good as it can be
done.

you are most probably correct :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 24, 7:53 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:
"m1ss_wh1te" wrote in message
How about foaming polyurethane glue. Apply liberally without gloves.

I can't believe I have just waded through that load of ****.
A bit of plastic foam pipe insulation does the job as good as it can be
done.

you are most probably correct :-)

oh dear. Back in reality street from the OP:-

"I've got twin outside taps that freeze in the winter. Unfortunately
the outside tap covers I have seen are all singles."

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 21, 8:38*pm, wrote:

I've got twin outside taps that freeze in the winter.
I use the taps several times a day, i

It sounds like you aught to make a box surround. You can pin foam to
it inside. Or just stuff some sponge in it when the weather chills.

Frosty nights are heralded by clear cold days. Or anticyclones
(isobars marked "H") on he
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/..._pressure.html

Which is possible he
Dec 10 14:36 and probable he
Feb 14 17:04 Feb 21 22:35
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/phase/phases2001.html

If you have a stop-cock inside for them, you could leave the taps open
and drain them each night for those three weeks.

Dimples in poly finish - Why? "poly 03 post.jpg" (1/2) yEnc 529017 Bytes Joe Woodworking Plans and Photos 5 November 3rd 08 07:22 PM
Dimples in poly finish - Why? "poly 02 post.jpg" (1/1) yEnc 150105 Bytes Joe Woodworking Plans and Photos 4 November 3rd 08 12:01 PM
Dimples in poly finish - Why? "poly 03 post neg.jpg" (2/2) yEnc 526505 Bytes Joe Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 October 30th 08 08:28 PM
Poly Glue Setup Time mike Woodworking 3 March 14th 05 02:11 PM
Diluted poly versus wipe-on poly toller Woodworking 10 February 1st 05 07:37 PM