Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish Ornithopter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Fg_JcKSHUtQ

Realor fake. What does the panel think?
http://www.ornithopter.org/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Fg_JcKSHUtQ

Realor fake. What does the panel think?
http://www.ornithopter.org/

Real. Seen a lot of model ornithopters fly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Fg_JcKSHUtQ

Realor fake. What does the panel think?

You must have seen Festo's other swimming/flying/floating creatures?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 21, 5:11*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
harry wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Fg_JcKSHUtQ

Realor fake. What does the panel think?

You must have seen Festo's other swimming/flying/floating creatures?

I thought it was a bit odd the way the man was able to pluck it out of
the air, ie it ran out of steam right over his head.

Also, it was the sort of thing you'd want to fly outdoors with plenty
of room for error.

Also the footage was not continuous.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

Andy wrote:

You must have seen Festo's other swimming/flying/floating creatures

I thought it was a bit odd the way the man was able to pluck it out of
the air, ie it ran out of steam right over his head.

Also, it was the sort of thing you'd want to fly outdoors with plenty
of room for error.

Also the footage was not continuous.

Plenty of indoor/outdoor ones

http://www.youtube.com/user/FestoHQ

though they seem to be missing the air penguins

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...to+air+penguin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2011 16:57, Tim Streater wrote:
In article
,
harry wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Fg_JcKSHUtQ

Real or fake. What does the panel think?
http://www.ornithopter.org/

I see no reason for it not to be real. They were trying these things in
the 19thC but lacked the materials and the knowledge of how the wings
worked in detail. That can be seen now with high-speed cameras and
there's plenty of experience understanding drag, lift, etc etc.

I'd be surprised if there's any future to it for actual planes. Nature's
had billyuns of years to perfect the materials that go into actual
birds' wings.

There is interest in making covert surveillance devices that look like
real birds.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 08:24:19 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Fg_JcKSHUtQ

Realor fake. What does the panel think?

It's obviously photoshopped - I mean, look at the cheap suits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2011 16:24, harry wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Fg_JcKSHUtQ

Realor fake. What does the panel think?
http://www.ornithopter.org/

I had a clockwork flying bird as a kid... You wound up a small crank on
its tail, and off it flew.

Radio control and all that makes it far more snazzy, but hardly rocket
science.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They tend to wear out quite quickly though.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
harry wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Fg_JcKSHUtQ

Realor fake. What does the panel think?
http://www.ornithopter.org/

Real. Seen a lot of model ornithopters fly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article
,
harry wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Fg_JcKSHUtQ

Real or fake. What does the panel think?
http://www.ornithopter.org/

I see no reason for it not to be real. They were trying these things in
the 19thC but lacked the materials and the knowledge of how the wings
worked in detail. That can be seen now with high-speed cameras and
there's plenty of experience understanding drag, lift, etc etc.

I'd be surprised if there's any future to it for actual planes. Nature's
had billyuns of years to perfect the materials that go into actual
birds' wings.

There are certain advantages in terms of STOL and low speed flight..an
ornithopter is somewhere between a light plane and a helicopter.

And its quieter than a helicopter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Fg_JcKSHUtQ
Realor fake. What does the panel think?

You must have seen Festo's other swimming/flying/floating creatures?

I thought it was a bit odd the way the man was able to pluck it out of
the air, ie it ran out of steam right over his head.

One assumes the man on the transmitter had practiced that.

Also, it was the sort of thing you'd want to fly outdoors with plenty
of room for error.

Not really.

Also the footage was not continuous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

I suppose I had A380 replacements in mind. I
didn't think the passengers would like to be jigged up and down all the
time.

They'd be too busy pedalling to notice ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:

I suppose I had A380 replacements in mind. I didn't think
the passengers would like to be jigged up and down all the time.

They'd be too busy pedalling to notice ...

Ha ha! Nice one.

Earlier John Rumm said:

I had a clockwork flying bird as a kid... You wound up a small crank on
its tail, and off it flew.

*REALLY*? You winding _us_ up? Sounds like something out of a Rupert
book. I never remember seeing such an insanely desirable thing.

and also ..
Radio control and all that makes it far more snazzy, but hardly rocket
science.

:-( You disappoint me John: No it's not rocket science, but it's
*brilliant* engineering, and, speaking for myself, it looks like a huge
leap forwards.

It'd be nice to see something like this coming out of a British company.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2011 20:51, Another John wrote:

Earlier John Rumm said:

I had a clockwork flying bird as a kid... You wound up a small crank on
its tail, and off it flew.

*REALLY*? You winding _us_ up? Sounds like something out of a Rupert
book. I never remember seeing such an insanely desirable thing.

No, I remember them too. Of course it just flew (sort of) straight and level
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
Earlier John Rumm said:

I had a clockwork flying bird as a kid... You wound up a small crank on
its tail, and off it flew.

*REALLY*? You winding _us_ up? Sounds like something out of a Rupert
book. I never remember seeing such an insanely desirable thing.

Currently available at almost any French market for under ten Euros.
They're normally sold by dodgy looking Moroccans.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2011 21:15, John Williamson wrote:
Another John wrote:
Earlier John Rumm said:

I had a clockwork flying bird as a kid... You wound up a small crank
on its tail, and off it flew.

*REALLY*? You winding _us_ up? Sounds like something out of a Rupert
book. I never remember seeing such an insanely desirable thing.

Currently available at almost any French market for under ten Euros.
They're normally sold by dodgy looking Moroccans.

I can't see any clockwork ones on eBay. Plenty of rubber-powered ones
though - is that what was meant?

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:

Earlier John Rumm said:

I had a clockwork flying bird as a kid... You wound up a small crank on
its tail, and off it flew.

*REALLY*? You winding _us_ up? Sounds like something out of a Rupert
book. I never remember seeing such an insanely desirable thing.

been a few ornithopter toys powered by electric motors and IIRC rubber
bands in the past.

and also ..
Radio control and all that makes it far more snazzy, but hardly rocket
science.

:-( You disappoint me John: No it's not rocket science, but it's
*brilliant* engineering, and, speaking for myself, it looks like a huge
leap forwards.

Yerrrs... but in what direction...

It'd be nice to see something like this coming out of a British company.

No real market,..

Anyway, lots of fun here....from a Jap with a flying DRAGON.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1496369

The principles are well known, but the engineering esp. in terms of
weight are a bit challenging.

I THINK there are some kits mentioned in that whole forum.

But I'd guess flying a 'thopter is not that easy.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:
Another John wrote:
Earlier John Rumm said:

I had a clockwork flying bird as a kid... You wound up a small crank
on its tail, and off it flew.

*REALLY*? You winding _us_ up? Sounds like something out of a
Rupert book. I never remember seeing such an insanely desirable thing.

Currently available at almost any French market for under ten Euros.
They're normally sold by dodgy looking Moroccans.

yes! A friend had one a couple of years back I think. Total hoot.

You need a LOT of power So flights are seconds only.

here's some rubber band ones..got to be the Xmas present with a difference..

http://www.birdkit.com/models.starter.html

nice electric ones for indoor and sub micro radios..

http://www.indoor.flyer.co.uk/orni.htm

http://videosift.com/video/Slow-Fly-...Flapping-Wings

Or outdoors, this is rather nice.

http://www.randrmodelaircraft.com/Kestrel.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Earlier John Rumm said:

I had a clockwork flying bird as a kid... You wound up a small crank on
its tail, and off it flew.

*REALLY*? You winding _us_ up? Sounds like something out of a Rupert
book. I never remember seeing such an insanely desirable thing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-WIND-UP-F...-/390251186110

Nothing particularly special really. Flexible sheet wings, and a front
rib that flaps up and down with an orbital action allowing the wing to
present a smaller surface on the upstroke. (not as elegant as the one in
the video - but functional)

and also ..
Radio control and all that makes it far more snazzy, but hardly rocket
science.

:-( You disappoint me John: No it's not rocket science, but it's
*brilliant* engineering, and, speaking for myself, it looks like a huge
leap forwards.

Its nice - granted; but I don't find it that earth shattering.

It'd be nice to see something like this coming out of a British company.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

:-( You disappoint me John: No it's not rocket science, but it's
*brilliant* engineering, and, speaking for myself, it looks like a huge
leap forwards.

Its nice - granted; but I don't find it that earth shattering.

Oh, poo!

You are An Engineer, AAIMFP!

signed
A guy from the Arts Faculty

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2011 22:06, Another John wrote:
In article86SdnSz6T6ZPgVHTnZ2dnUVZ8mmdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
John wrote:

:-( You disappoint me John: No it's not rocket science, but it's
*brilliant* engineering, and, speaking for myself, it looks like a huge
leap forwards.

Its nice - granted; but I don't find it that earth shattering.

Oh, poo!

You are An Engineer, AAIMFP!

Guilty as charged ;-)

signed
A guy from the Arts Faculty

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

:-( You disappoint me John: No it's not rocket science, but it's
*brilliant* engineering, and, speaking for myself, it looks like a huge
leap forwards.

Its nice - granted; but I don't find it that earth shattering.

Oh, poo!

You are An Engineer, AAIMFP!

signed
A guy from the Arts Faculty

Actually ornithopters are rather kewl.

I must build one next year. Freak the dogs out anyway.

Rather fancy a pterodactyl
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 21:31:04 +0000, Reentrant
wrote:

Currently available at almost any French market for under ten Euros.
They're normally sold by dodgy looking Moroccans.

I can't see any clockwork ones on eBay. Plenty of rubber-powered ones
though - is that what was meant?

Likely powered by French Letters.

OTish. You'll like this. Not a lot but some. harry UK diy 28 September 4th 11 09:29 AM
OTish. Peak oil. harry UK diy 103 February 14th 11 12:20 AM
OTish; When does a step become a deck. The Medway Handyman UK diy 23 September 21st 09 08:51 PM
OTish Gas fire query mogga UK diy 6 June 4th 08 07:30 PM