Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Whats THIS for ?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...,240.69,,0,-35.

Or

http://tinyurl.com/7hk76qd

This has intrigued me for years. If there are stairs up to it there
can't be much room left. Given the age of the house it would seem
unlikely it was originally for a lift shaft. So what was its original
purpose? Astral observatory ?

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 19, 9:59*am, fred wrote:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...ty+Kildare,+Ir....

Or

http://tinyurl.com/7hk76qd

This has intrigued me for years. If there are stairs up to it there
can't be much room left. Given the age of the house it would seem
unlikely it was originally for a lift shaft. So what was its original
purpose? Astral observatory ?

Paul Mc Cann

It's called a "belvedere" or "belvidere" and is purely for admiring
the beautiful view, hence its name. It looks as if it has windows all
round for this purpose.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/7hk76qd

This has intrigued me for years. If there are stairs up to it there
can't be much room left. Given the age of the house it would seem
unlikely it was originally for a lift shaft. So what was its original
purpose? Astral observatory ?

It has access out to the flat roof. But no railings, so a roof-garden
seems unlikely, perhaps a large water tank for the whole terrace?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2011 09:59, fred wrote:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...,240.69,,0,-35.

Or

http://tinyurl.com/7hk76qd

This has intrigued me for years. If there are stairs up to it there
can't be much room left. Given the age of the house it would seem
unlikely it was originally for a lift shaft. So what was its original
purpose? Astral observatory ?

Paul Mc Cann

Given that it appears to have doors each side and its size, I suspect it
is simply the head of a set of stairs that lead to the roof.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:09:24 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

On 19/11/2011 09:59, fred wrote:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...County+Kildare,

+Ireland&ll=53.332206,-6.272335&spn=0.000026,0.024655&t=m&z=16&vpsrc=6&la yer=c&cbll=53.332366,-6.272591&panoid=-0GdaTBs0L82wIXLznPF4w&cbp=12,240.69,,0,-35.

Or

http://tinyurl.com/7hk76qd

This has intrigued me for years. If there are stairs up to it there
can't be much room left. Given the age of the house it would seem
unlikely it was originally for a lift shaft. So what was its original
purpose? Astral observatory ?

Paul Mc Cann

Given that it appears to have doors each side and its size, I suspect it
is simply the head of a set of stairs that lead to the roof.

But in that case, why did they bother to put windows on all four sides?

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2011 09:59, fred wrote:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...County+Kildare,

+Ireland&ll=53.332206,-6.272335&spn=0.000026,0.024655&t=m&z=16&vpsrc=6&la yer=c&cbll=53.332366,-6.272591&panoid=-0GdaTBs0L82wIXLznPF4w&cbp=12,240.69,,0,-35.

Or

http://tinyurl.com/7hk76qd

This has intrigued me for years. If there are stairs up to it there
can't be much room left. Given the age of the house it would seem
unlikely it was originally for a lift shaft. So what was its original
purpose? Astral observatory ?

Paul Mc Cann

Given that it appears to have doors each side and its size, I suspect it
is simply the head of a set of stairs that lead to the roof.

Ah...some of those 'windows' are doors?

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2011 09:59, fred wrote:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...County+Kildare,

+Ireland&ll=53.332206,-6.272335&spn=0.000026,0.024655&t=m&z=16&vpsrc=6&la yer=c&cbll=53.332366,-6.272591&panoid=-0GdaTBs0L82wIXLznPF4w&cbp=12,240.69,,0,-35.

Or

http://tinyurl.com/7hk76qd

This has intrigued me for years. If there are stairs up to it there
can't be much room left. Given the age of the house it would seem
unlikely it was originally for a lift shaft. So what was its original
purpose? Astral observatory ?

Paul Mc Cann

Given that it appears to have doors each side and its size, I suspect it
is simply the head of a set of stairs that lead to the roof.

Ah...some of those 'windows' are doors?

That's what it looks like to me - one towards the front of the building
and one towards the back.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...,240.69,,0,-35.

Or

http://tinyurl.com/7hk76qd

This has intrigued me for years. If there are stairs up to it there
can't be much room left. Given the age of the house it would seem
unlikely it was originally for a lift shaft. So what was its original
purpose? Astral observatory ?

Irish loft conversion?

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2011 09:59, fred wrote:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...,240.69,,0,-35.

Or

http://tinyurl.com/7hk76qd

This has intrigued me for years. If there are stairs up to it there
can't be much room left. Given the age of the house it would seem
unlikely it was originally for a lift shaft. So what was its original
purpose? Astral observatory ?

Paul Mc Cann

From the "satelite" view (corner of Emorville Ave. and S Circular Rd)
it looks like it's open to the sky. A roof patio sheltered from the wind
perhaps

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 22:10:23 +0000, Mike Clarke wrote:

On 19/11/2011 09:59, fred wrote:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...County+Kildare,

+Ireland&ll=53.332206,-6.272335&spn=0.000026,0.024655&t=m&z=16&vpsrc=6&la yer=c&cbll=53.332366,-6.272591&panoid=-0GdaTBs0L82wIXLznPF4w&cbp=12,240.69,,0,-35.

Or

http://tinyurl.com/7hk76qd

This has intrigued me for years. If there are stairs up to it there
can't be much room left. Given the age of the house it would seem
unlikely it was originally for a lift shaft. So what was its original
purpose? Astral observatory ?

Paul Mc Cann

From the "satelite" view (corner of Emorville Ave. and S Circular Rd)
it looks like it's open to the sky. A roof patio sheltered from the wind
perhaps

Weird, isn't it? And it shows those 'doors' opening almost onto pitched
roofs either side.

I thought the windows might be dummies, and perhaps it once housed a
water tank. But the curtains at the front aren't neat enough, and the
window looks newish (and open).

I wonder if the satellite view is exaggerating depth, and that's just a
flat roof with a small (12 inch?) wall round it...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 02:32:37 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

It's called a "belvedere" or "belvidere" and is purely for admiring
the beautiful view, hence its name. It looks as if it has windows all
round for this purpose.

They'd get a good view of the church from up there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2011 22:10, Mike Clarke wrote:
From the "satelite" view (corner of Emorville Ave. and S Circular Rd)
it looks like it's open to the sky. A roof patio sheltered from the wind
perhaps

Microsoft's one happens to be better for this location (I always check
both) and makes it look like a flat roof with a parapet.

http://binged.it/t5p34C

It seems that the door on "this" side opens into a gulley.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:
On 19/11/2011 09:59, fred wrote:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...,240.69,,0,-35.

Or

http://tinyurl.com/7hk76qd

This has intrigued me for years. If there are stairs up to it there
can't be much room left. Given the age of the house it would seem
unlikely it was originally for a lift shaft. So what was its original
purpose? Astral observatory ?

Paul Mc Cann

From the "satelite" view (corner of Emorville Ave. and S Circular Rd)
it looks like it's open to the sky. A roof patio sheltered from the
wind perhaps

It's got gutters and a downpipe, so it must have a roof

Whats this then? The Medway Handyman UK diy 32 September 8th 13 05:18 PM
Whats up in Alaska? [email protected] Metalworking 10 July 8th 09 01:17 PM
Whats best to use svmsbb UK diy 4 January 7th 07 01:14 PM
Whats the best way to... R.P.McMurphy UK diy 2 September 21st 06 06:48 PM
whats the difference between... in2minds UK diy 1 February 17th 05 04:49 PM