Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bolt cutter question

Hi All, we have a set of bolt croppers at work, similar to these....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-C...1527879&sr=1-4

which we use (or attempt to use) from time to time to cut through
flexible cable type locks. The bolt cutters aren't cutting it and
appear to be blunt. I have no previous experience with bolt cutters,
and don't know if they've gone blunt, or if that's just the way bolt
cutters are and we're using the wrong tool (we have resorted to using
pliers, but this is slow going.

Do bolt cutters usually have bluntish edges (as opposed to something
like garden shears which have sharp edges?) if not, is it possible to
sharpen them (it looks as though if they were sharpened the jaws would
no longer meet).

Also, what tool should we be using to cut this type of cable?

Cheers

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Also, what tool should we be using to cut this type of cable?

Angle grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2011 11:05, wrote:
Hi All, we have a set of bolt croppers at work, similar to these....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-C...1527879&sr=1-4

which we use (or attempt to use) from time to time to cut through
flexible cable type locks. The bolt cutters aren't cutting it and
appear to be blunt. I have no previous experience with bolt cutters,
and don't know if they've gone blunt, or if that's just the way bolt
cutters are and we're using the wrong tool (we have resorted to using
pliers, but this is slow going.

Do bolt cutters usually have bluntish edges (as opposed to something
like garden shears which have sharp edges?) if not, is it possible to
sharpen them (it looks as though if they were sharpened the jaws would
no longer meet).

Also, what tool should we be using to cut this type of cable?

You probably need ratchet bolt cutters, rather than simple ones.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-C...s/dp/B000LFXOF...

which we use (or attempt to use) from time to time to cut through
flexible cable type locks. *The bolt cutters aren't cutting it and
appear to be blunt. *I have no previous experience with bolt cutters,
and don't know if they've gone blunt, or if that's just the way bolt
cutters are and we're using the wrong tool (we have resorted to using
pliers, but this is slow going.

Do bolt cutters usually have bluntish edges (as opposed to something
like garden shears which have sharp edges?) *if not, is it possible to
sharpen them (it looks as though if they were sharpened the jaws would
no longer meet).

Also, what tool should we be using to cut this type of cable?

They don't have scissor sharp blades, used on thick steel they would
soon chip or dent if they were. But any blunting or failure would show
up. The edges should be fairly straight/true.

How come pliers are cutting them when bolt croppers won't?
Beats me.

What sort of cable is it?
Just a cheap 3 or 4 quid bike lock or what?

Bolt croppers work by pressure, cable tends to flatten and untwist.
Are the jaws meeting?

Presumably you would have spotted if they were not. What will they
cut?

They should go through rebar of the thickness used in concrete posts.
It might raise a sweat though depending on the length of the arms,
which you can extend with tubing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
[...]

Bolt cutters are for bolts. A stranded cable will tend to crush before it
cuts - although it might still work. If there is no obvious signs of
damage to the jaws, you need more power. ;-)

--
*When cheese gets it's picture taken, what does it say?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
[...]

I was discussing design of jaws for cutting high tensile cable with a
guy from GEC once. He told me the guys in "Defence" had some very
effective cable cutters which were powered by pyrotechnics, and used
underwater.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi All, we have a set of bolt croppers at work, similar to these....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-C...1527879&sr=1-4

which we use (or attempt to use) from time to time to cut through
flexible cable type locks. The bolt cutters aren't cutting it and
appear to be blunt.

Also, what tool should we be using to cut this type of cable?

Perhaps this sort of thing would be better:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001IX8XM/ref=asc_df_B0001IX8XM5280772?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&t ag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B0001I X8XM

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 17, 2:33*pm, Chris J Dixon wrote:
wrote:
Hi All, we have a set of bolt croppers at work, similar to these....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-C...s/dp/B000LFXOF...

which we use (or attempt to use) from time to time to cut through
flexible cable type locks. *The bolt cutters aren't cutting it and
appear to be blunt.
Also, what tool should we be using to cut this type of cable?

Perhaps this sort of thing would be better:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001IX8XM/ref=asc_df_B0001IX8XM5280772?sm....

Looks like it might well be, but in these present times, and given
that there's hopefully not too many left to cut, I think i'll see if I
can pseruade the management to buy a new pair of pliers (the cables
are PC/Laptop security thingies, similar to a thin bicycle lock).

Thanks for all the replies.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 17, 11:05*am, wrote:
[...]

The bolt cutter shown is for solid steel bars,the blades don't
actually meet.
To cut braided/stranded wire etc,you need a cutter with bypass blades.
Like this or similar.
http://www.cabletooling.co.uk/Copper...c8Z4Qod61mDCQ/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or even better
http://www.cabletooling.co.uk/Lever-...pe-Cutter-10mm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 17, 5:18*pm, harry wrote:
Or even betterhttp://www.cabletooling.co.uk/Lever-Cutters-for-wire-rope-to-18mm/Bau...

I'd angle grind it. The flex that is. If you're feeling really cheap,
tidying up the cutting edges of the croppers would probably let you
struggle through the remaining few locks. But as said, its not well
suited to that task.

NT