Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Cable for oven question

I will be taking out a cooker hob, it is wired in to an island in the
middle of the kitchen, I am presuming for this hob it would be a normal
rated plug socket. When I get the gas fitter to install the new cooker,
gas hob but double elec oven (not unpacked yet) I assume I would require
a higher rating for the double oven.

How would I check as to how the existing elec hob wiring is rated?

If it is rated correctly for the `new` elec oven then I can shift the
elecs myself, as it is basically just resiting the socket, if it
requires upgrading then I need to call in the electrician.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 14, 5:05*pm, ss wrote:
I will be taking out a cooker hob, it is wired in to an island in the
middle of the kitchen, I am presuming for this hob it would be a normal
rated plug socket. *When I get the gas fitter to install the new cooker,
gas hob but double elec oven (not unpacked yet) I assume I would require
a higher rating for the double oven.

How would I check as to how the existing elec hob wiring is rated?

If it is rated correctly for the `new` elec oven then I can shift the
elecs myself, as it is basically just resiting the socket, if it
requires upgrading then I need to call in the electrician.

In my experience hobs are higher power rated than ovens, does the new
cooker give you a rating?

jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 14/11/2011 17:33, Jonathan wrote:
On Nov 14, 5:05 pm, wrote:
I will be taking out a cooker hob, it is wired in to an island in the
middle of the kitchen, I am presuming for this hob it would be a normal
rated plug socket. When I get the gas fitter to install the new cooker,
gas hob but double elec oven (not unpacked yet) I assume I would require
a higher rating for the double oven.

How would I check as to how the existing elec hob wiring is rated?

If it is rated correctly for the `new` elec oven then I can shift the
elecs myself, as it is basically just resiting the socket, if it
requires upgrading then I need to call in the electrician.

In my experience hobs are higher power rated than ovens, does the new
cooker give you a rating?

jonathan

Due to the chaos at the moment I havent unpacked the cooker to get hold
of the instruction/installation manual hence enquiring how to identify.
just trying to work ahead of any potential work requiring qualified
trades V what I can do myself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 17:05:43 +0000, ss wrote:

I will be taking out a cooker hob, it is wired in to an island in the
middle of the kitchen, I am presuming for this hob it would be a normal
rated plug socket.

Wouldn't like to bet on it. A 13A plug can only deliver just over
3kW. A single ring on a hob can be well over 2kW and you have four of
them. A 10kW rating for a hob would not be excessive.

I assume I would require a higher rating for the double oven.

Bad assumption, ovens generaly have a lower rating than hobs, only
two elements not four.

How would I check as to how the existing elec hob wiring is rated?

Look at the rating plate of the hob and check the cable size, I
expect it will be 6mm2. Have google for nominal T&E cable dimensions

If it is rated correctly for the `new` elec oven then I can shift the
elecs myself,

Donno what Prat P has to say on work in kitchens.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 21:13:07 +0000, ss wrote:

Due to the chaos at the moment I havent unpacked the cooker to get hold
of the instruction/installation manual hence enquiring how to identify.

Lame excuse you have access to the net, download the manual from the
makers site or maybe they will have that information online as a page
in the cookers description.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2011 17:05, ss wrote:

I will be taking out a cooker hob, it is wired in to an island in the
middle of the kitchen, I am presuming for this hob it would be a normal
rated plug socket. When I get the gas fitter to install the new cooker,

Unlikely - only a small double ring table top hob would be able to get
enough power from a single plug connection.

gas hob but double elec oven (not unpacked yet) I assume I would require
a higher rating for the double oven.

Double ovens are probably also going to need wiring (single ones often
come with a conventional plug) - however there is a very good chance the
total load will be less than the current hob

How would I check as to how the existing elec hob wiring is rated?

Have a look at the cable feeding it (and if that is a rubbery feeling
round flex, follow it back to the termination and look at the flat T&E
going into that.

Measure carefully and compare to:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...es#Cable_Sizes

Also look for the circuit breaker/fuse marked cooker or hob in the CU.
as see what rating that is.

If it is rated correctly for the `new` elec oven then I can shift the
elecs myself, as it is basically just resiting the socket, if it
requires upgrading then I need to call in the electrician.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2011 21:15, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 17:05:43 +0000, ss wrote:

I will be taking out a cooker hob, it is wired in to an island in the
middle of the kitchen, I am presuming for this hob it would be a normal
rated plug socket.

Wouldn't like to bet on it. A 13A plug can only deliver just over
3kW.

Just under, these days: 230 V * 13 A = 2990 VA :~)

A single ring on a hob can be well over 2kW and you have four of
them. A 10kW rating for a hob would not be excessive.

It might be a gas hob, needing only a few VA for ignition - plug top or
FCU with 3 A fuse being all that's needed. OTOH if it's electric then
diversity (first 10 A plus 30% of the remainder) is applicable - even
so, a separate 20 or 32 A final circuit will usually be required.

I assume I would require a higher rating for the double oven.

Bad assumption, ovens generaly have a lower rating than hobs, only
two elements not four.

Yes but a typical double oven will need significantly more than 13 A and
will require a separate circuit as above. One 32 A circuit is usually
OK for a double oven and electric 4-ring hob, and a single isolator can
be used if within 2 metres of both appliances. Larger appliances may
require higher rated circuit(s).

How would I check as to how the existing elec hob wiring is rated?

A question like that suggests that the OP should be calling an
electrician in any case.

Look at the rating plate of the hob and check the cable size, I
expect it will be 6mm2. Have google for nominal T&E cable dimensions

If it is rated correctly for the `new` elec oven then I can shift the
elecs myself,

Donno what Prat P has to say on work in kitchens.

Resiting a socket is installation work and, if in a kitchen, requires
notification, strictly speaking.

--
Andy

'nuther question, rewire 110v heat treat oven to 220? (or swap fora 220 oven) Jon Anderson Metalworking 30 August 17th 11 04:22 AM
Cable behind oven Sandy Brownlee UK diy 2 February 3rd 07 05:06 PM
Oven flex or cable PeterK UK diy 4 November 12th 06 09:23 AM
question gas oven [email protected] Home Repair 5 August 26th 06 02:29 AM
Oven cable size garryb UK diy 5 March 27th 05 08:58 PM