Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] computer monitor recommendations

Hi,

I have a CRT monitor and it's perfectly ok but I was thinking about
getting an LCD monitor to free up some space on my desk. I don't know
anything about these, so can anyone give me some advice about what to
get or what to avoid? Or is there a good uk.rec.computer group to ask
at?

I see the cheapest make is "edge 10". I have never heard of them. Are
they good or bad?

I have heard the name "iiyama"; are they considered good?

I've done some googling but it is finding retailers rather than
reviews.

TIA
Fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default computer monitor recommendations

On Nov 12, 5:49*pm, Fred wrote:
Hi,

I have a CRT monitor and it's perfectly ok but I was thinking about
getting an LCD monitor to free up some space on my desk. I don't know
anything about these, so can anyone give me some advice about what to
get or what to avoid? Or is there a good uk.rec.computer group to ask
at?

I see the cheapest make is "edge 10". I have never heard of them. Are
they good or bad?

I have heard the name "iiyama"; are they considered good?

I've done some googling but it is finding retailers rather than
reviews.

TIA
Fred

I use my television, it has a video socket. (Panasonic.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hi,

I have a CRT monitor and it's perfectly ok but I was thinking about
getting an LCD monitor to free up some space on my desk. I don't know
anything about these, so can anyone give me some advice about what to
get or what to avoid? Or is there a good uk.rec.computer group to ask
at?

I see the cheapest make is "edge 10". I have never heard of them. Are
they good or bad?

I have heard the name "iiyama"; are they considered good?

I've done some googling but it is finding retailers rather than
reviews.

I've had several. All good. Mainly samsung - cheaper than Iiyama.

e.g.
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/p...2CLYSBUEN-spec

Only two things you need to check - that your graphics card/driver will
drive the exact spec of pixels that LCD has, (1920x1080) and that if you
only have a VGA, the monitor has that input option..

If in doubt get cheap new VGA card as well and correct cable.

TIA
Fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
[...]

Many monitors are 1920x1080 which is really a TV picture size. For a PC
I prefer a 4:3 screen e.g. 1600x12000

PC World is one place where you can see a range of monitors.

My NEC screen has been fine.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fred
writes
Hi,

I have a CRT monitor and it's perfectly ok but I was thinking about
getting an LCD monitor to free up some space on my desk. I don't know
anything about these, so can anyone give me some advice about what to
get or what to avoid? Or is there a good uk.rec.computer group to ask
at?

I see the cheapest make is "edge 10". I have never heard of them. Are
they good or bad?

I had two edge 10 24" monitors, they both had about 6 dead pixels and
died in less than two years

but, they were cheap

I have heard the name "iiyama"; are they considered good?

I've done some googling but it is finding retailers rather than
reviews.

TIA
Fred

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2011 17:49, Fred wrote:
Hi,

I have a CRT monitor and it's perfectly ok but I was thinking about
getting an LCD monitor to free up some space on my desk. I don't know
anything about these, so can anyone give me some advice about what to
get or what to avoid? Or is there a good uk.rec.computer group to ask
at?

uk.comp.homebuilt

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:01:57 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

I've had several. All good. Mainly samsung - cheaper than Iiyama.

There's a thought. I have a Samsung tv and I think it is very good;
perhaps I should try their monitors too.

Thanks,
Fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:25:27 +0000, Michael Chare
mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote:

I prefer a 4:3 screen e.g. 1600x12000

Or 1200

I think I would prefer a 4:3 screen too. Perhaps just because that's
what I am used to. I will watch films on my tv, so do not need a
widescreen monitor for that. I suppose a wide screen is good if you
work with big spreadsheets but this is purely for home use, so not
needed by me.

Thanks,
Fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:48:37 +0000, Adrian C
wrote:

uk.comp.homebuilt

Thanks. I will have a lurk there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PSU quality... Edge LG / Dell Iiyama Samsung NEC SONY Eizo.

You CAN get good Dell monitors quite reasonably with 3yr warranty, do
a Google or Ebay, also check places like www.mcscom.co.uk and similar.

Check what panel comes with the monitor if you plan on graphics work
because IPS PVA TN. A TN panel is 6-bit and uses various tricks to
simulate 8-bit colour (255 shades each of red, green & blue); PVA &
IPS are 8-bit panels and can deliver the true spectrum of colours. IPS
is used on the best LCD TV and gets close to Plasma (unless the Plasma
is one of the now sadly gone Pioneer specials), PVA is more poster-
paint colour in vibrancy sort of like Sony Trinitron compared to
better Panasonic Tau. TN is simply bargain bucket and can vary
considerably based on who made the actual panel. PVA tends to be more
power hungry than IPS or TN, ie, it requires a more powerful and
deeper backlight design. LED backlights are power power efficient and
can be brighter (more useful for laptops). Like a CRT the backlight
brightness of CCFL diminishes with time - I think the figure is a
halving of brightness after 30,000hrs, can not recall.

LG (Lucky Goldstar renamed) tend to have weak power supplies, but
warranty used to be 3yr. Samsung have better panels and better PSU,
but are still a "low brand" compared to the "real" monitor makers of
old. Eizo are very good, but avoid unless you have critical graphics
work because you are paying a high premium for the "better backlight
design & better psu".

A monitor is the sum of the parts, they are not quite "all the same" -
some bad displays look like a load of spot-lights shining every few
inches with the screen black. Likewise graphics card & even drivers
can affect the end video quality - some are better than others.

There is a german review website on monitors.
If you have poor eyesight or intend to use the monitor a lot of hours
then buy a higher quality monitor, IPS panel.

Your graphics card must match the panel, if you right-click on the
windows desktop and go through graphics settings to see the available
resolutions like 1280x1024 1600x1200 etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:25:27 +0000, Michael Chare
mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote:

I prefer a 4:3 screen e.g. 1600x12000

Or 1200

I think I would prefer a 4:3 screen too. Perhaps just because that's
what I am used to. I will watch films on my tv, so do not need a
widescreen monitor for that. I suppose a wide screen is good if you
work with big spreadsheets but this is purely for home use, so not
needed by me.

witha widescreen, you can put two A4 pages side by side. Useful if you do
any Desktop Publishing.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 17:49:15 +0000, Fred wrote:
Hi,

I have a CRT monitor and it's perfectly ok but I was thinking about
getting an LCD monitor to free up some space on my desk.

Every LCD I've used has given me a headache within a short amount of time
- I much prefer a (good) CRT.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2011 20:11, charles wrote:
In ,
wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:25:27 +0000, Michael Chare
mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote:

I prefer a 4:3 screen e.g. 1600x12000

Or 1200

I think I would prefer a 4:3 screen too. Perhaps just because that's
what I am used to. I will watch films on my tv, so do not need a
widescreen monitor for that. I suppose a wide screen is good if you
work with big spreadsheets but this is purely for home use, so not
needed by me.

witha widescreen, you can put two A4 pages side by side. Useful if you do
any Desktop Publishing.

Or for cutting and pasting between two documents. Two screens are even
better!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 20:11:11 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

witha widescreen, you can put two A4 pages side by side. Useful if you do
any Desktop Publishing.

Thanks. Something else I should have asked: what size is best? I have
a 17" at the moment. Do I really need a 19"?

TIA
Fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2011 21:31, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 17:49:15 +0000, Fred wrote:
Hi,

I have a CRT monitor and it's perfectly ok but I was thinking about
getting an LCD monitor to free up some space on my desk.

Every LCD I've used has given me a headache within a short amount of time
- I much prefer a (good) CRT.

Could that be the refresh rate? I've used a couple of work machines that
have defaulted to 45Hz with LCD monitors, but both graphic card and
monitor were capable of 60, 70 or 85Hz.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

witha widescreen, you can put two A4 pages side by side. Useful if you
do any Desktop Publishing.

Thanks. Something else I should have asked: what size is best? I have
a 17" at the moment. Do I really need a 19"?

again it depends on what you are trying to do. Mine is a 26" widescreen

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:25:27 +0000, Michael Chare
mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote:

I prefer a 4:3 screen e.g. 1600x12000

Or 1200

I think I would prefer a 4:3 screen too. Perhaps just because that's
what I am used to. I will watch films on my tv, so do not need a
widescreen monitor for that. I suppose a wide screen is good if you
work with big spreadsheets but this is purely for home use, so not
needed by me.

witha widescreen, you can put two A4 pages side by side. Useful if you
do
any Desktop Publishing.

Or for cutting and pasting between two documents. Two screens are even
better!

SteveW

At least three... :-)

Currently a 23" widescreen and something like two 19" or so 4:3.

The third one is driven by one of those USB to DVI devices - and very
convenient that is too.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 12 Nov,
Fred wrote:

I think I would prefer a 4:3 screen too. Perhaps just because that's
what I am used to. I will watch films on my tv, so do not need a
widescreen monitor for that. I suppose a wide screen is good if you
work with big spreadsheets but this is purely for home use, so not
needed by me.

I thought I preferred a 4:3 screen, but after replacing mine with an
identical height widescreen model I find the extra width very useful in
giving room for placing windows with less overlap making C&P between windows
much easier, and being able to see the window that would disappear on the 4:3
under the current window just as you wanted to see what was in it.

I'm now sold on widescreen but would like multiple monitors as well.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , polygonum
writes

wrote:
[...]

Pikey ...

my video card supports 4 monitors

Here's a useful little program (for win users anyway) that allows you to
use one mouse and keyboard over up to 4 computers with monitors as long
as they are on the same network. I have two computers with two monitors
each at work, I can whizz across all four with just one device

http://blogs.technet.com/b/next/arch...ft-garage-down
load-mouse-without-borders.aspx

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fred
writes
wrote:

witha widescreen, you can put two A4 pages side by side. Useful if you do
any Desktop Publishing.

Thanks. Something else I should have asked: what size is best? I have
a 17" at the moment. Do I really need a 19"?

Ask any woman

I use 24" widescreen almost exclusively now. What are you gong to save
by going smaller, a couple of tens of pounds?

Its a bit like saving a tenner buying a 500GB hard drive rather than a
2 TB one (well, until recently, that is)

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 22:18:37 -0000, geoff wrote:

In message , polygonum
writes

wrote:
[...]

Definitely pikey! Esp. as the video card only supports two monitors by
having one on DVI and the other on VGA. (Thank you Dell.) But in large
organisations it can be easier to put up with a bodge than do the job
properly. But those USBVI things are potentially very useful for
multiple monitors, e.g. on laptops.

Will be trying that link on Monday, or before if remote access works. I
really like the idea of dragging and dropping between machines like that.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

witha widescreen, you can put two A4 pages side by side. Useful if you do
any Desktop Publishing.

Thanks. Something else I should have asked: what size is best? I have
a 17" at the moment. Do I really need a 19"?

You don't need to change at all :-)

Have you got the desk space? If so, 24" widescreen isn't too much money
and works well IME. Work gives the option of 20" and 24", many people
seem to get on fine with the 20" ones, but I like the increased screen
real estate the 24" gives (ie more pixels).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've had several. All good. Mainly samsung - cheaper than Iiyama.

There's a thought. I have a Samsung tv and I think it is very good;
perhaps I should try their monitors too.

It probably has dvi/hdmi/vga inputs so you could use the TV.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

uk.comp.homebuilt

Thanks. I will have a lurk there.

Think you've got some good answers here. There was a monitor query
thread in uk.comp.homebuilt not so long ago. This message ID will find
it if pasted into the bottom of the advanced search page in google.

How do you chose a monitor? Posted 6/11/11

There is this one which ticks a few of my tickboxes, big, IPS, 1080HD -
but my primary monitor is a designer of breed CRT and will be in use
until it packs up.

LG IPS235V IPS LCD LED 23" HDMI Monitor - £128.31inc. vat
http://www.ebuyer.com/284103-lg-ips235v-ips-lcd-led-23-hdmi-monitor-ips235v-bn

I'll only confuse further by saying I'm also a portrait fan. My second
monitor (currenly sick...) is an 18" 16:10 1280x1024 LCD monitor rotated
90deg which cuts down on scrolling web pages - and also allows the whole
of an A4 document or PDF page to be viewed 'naturally'. Think like an
Apple iPad but bigger :-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2011 18:25, Michael Chare wrote:

Many monitors are 1920x1080 which is really a TV picture size. For a PC
I prefer a 4:3 screen e.g. 1600x12000

I was looking for a widescreen to go alongside my 1600x1200 4:3, and
found that there is very little choice at that pixel height in 16:9
these days - almost everyone seems to be using panels designed for HD TV
and hence 1080 height.

(went for a Samsung 2443 16:10 in the end)

PC World is one place where you can see a range of monitors.

Before ordering from somewhere sensible!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

witha widescreen, you can put two A4 pages side by side. Useful if you do
any Desktop Publishing.

Thanks. Something else I should have asked: what size is best? I have
a 17" at the moment. Do I really need a 19"?

In general the bigger the better.

Note that if you go for widescreen a 19" Ws will seem smaller than a 17" 4:3

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've had several. All good. Mainly samsung - cheaper than Iiyama.

There's a thought. I have a Samsung tv and I think it is very good;
perhaps I should try their monitors too.

It probably has dvi/hdmi/vga inputs so you could use the TV.

I setup a Samsung monitor the other day for a customer, and for the
first time hooked it up with HDMI (it was that or analogue VGA - and the
computer had HDMI out). Very impressed with the results. Not only be
very crisp in windows, but also on low res text screens etc which can
often look a bit fizzy or blocky when running a LCD at non native pixel
counts.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2011 17:49, Fred wrote:
Hi,

I have a CRT monitor and it's perfectly ok but I was thinking about
getting an LCD monitor to free up some space on my desk. I don't know
anything about these, so can anyone give me some advice about what to
get or what to avoid? Or is there a good uk.rec.computer group to ask
at?

I see the cheapest make is "edge 10". I have never heard of them. Are
they good or bad?

Cheap, reasonable, but often not that well specced. They do have a range
f "hard glass" fronted ones though that can be handy for some applications.

I have heard the name "iiyama"; are they considered good?

Yes

Steer clear of some of the lower end tat like Digimate (DiGM) and most
makers have some reasonable kit. Using quite a few Samsung ones
recently. Had a couple of failures after 5 years or so, but both have
been repairable without too much effort.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:25:27 +0000, Michael Chare
mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote:

I prefer a 4:3 screen e.g. 1600x12000

Or 1200

I think I would prefer a 4:3 screen too. Perhaps just because that's
what I am used to. I will watch films on my tv, so do not need a
widescreen monitor for that. I suppose a wide screen is good if you
work with big spreadsheets but this is purely for home use, so not
needed by me.

I like it because there's the options of two reasonable windows side by
side, or on some programs that use a sde panel, more 'work area'

And in some more modern OS'es you can get a docker or whatever its
called down one side.

I.e. you will find a way to use the real estate no matter what the
aspect ratio is: modern CHEAP screens tend to be TV aspect ratio, for
obvious reasons.

Thanks,
Fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , polygonum
writes

wrote:
[...]

MY operating system will allow at least 6 'virtual screens'. One click
away..

Since I cant actually look at more than one screen at a time, its just
as good, and LOTS cheaper.

Especially if one of them is running windows, and the other 5 Linux :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

witha widescreen, you can put two A4 pages side by side. Useful if you do
any Desktop Publishing.

Thanks. Something else I should have asked: what size is best? I have
a 17" at the moment. Do I really need a 19"?

No, but the current prices mean its probably no more expensive.

TIA
Fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2011 21:42, Steve Walker wrote:
On 12/11/2011 21:31, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 17:49:15 +0000, Fred wrote:
Hi,

I have a CRT monitor and it's perfectly ok but I was thinking about
getting an LCD monitor to free up some space on my desk.

Every LCD I've used has given me a headache within a short amount of time
- I much prefer a (good) CRT.

Could that be the refresh rate? I've used a couple of work machines that
have defaulted to 45Hz with LCD monitors, but both graphic card and
monitor were capable of 60, 70 or 85Hz.

Probably not... refresh rate means different things on LCDs. With a CRT
you have a scanning raster, and each phosphor dot on screen is only
illuminated periodically - then it decays in brightness until rescanned.
Hence the need for a high vertical refresh rate to avoid flicker.
Personally (being quite sensitive to flicker) I found I needed 85Hz on
larger CRTs to be comfortable.

With LCDs all the pixels are "lit" all the time. The refresh rate just
dictates when they can next be changed in state. So even at 45Hz there
will be no flicker - but that would be the limit on the number of
different frames that could be displayed per sec (ought to be ample
given we cope with 24 for films, and 25 for PAL video).

Many LCDs don't run above 60Hz refresh.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
geoff wrote:
In message ,
polygonum writes

wrote:
[...]

Cheaper, maybe (since when were you or I that concerned about saving a
few pennies?), but, no way as good

I can route the HDMI through the AV box to the TV, thus having some
noise (AKA video) in the background to help me concentrate while using
two screens to have a couple of spreadsheets running (As I was today
while doing a price list update)

scrolling through virtual screens - a nice toy, but not so useful in
real world applications

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 12/11/2011 17:49, Fred wrote:
Hi,

I have a CRT monitor and it's perfectly ok but I was thinking about
getting an LCD monitor to free up some space on my desk. I don't know
anything about these, so can anyone give me some advice about what to
get or what to avoid? Or is there a good uk.rec.computer group to ask
at?

I see the cheapest make is "edge 10". I have never heard of them. Are
they good or bad?

Cheap, reasonable, but often not that well specced. They do have a
range f "hard glass" fronted ones though that can be handy for some
applications.

Repaired my edge10s by changing the electrolytics in the power input
stage of the monitor

I have heard the name "iiyama"; are they considered good?

Yes

Steer clear of some of the lower end tat like Digimate (DiGM) and most
makers have some reasonable kit. Using quite a few Samsung ones
recently. Had a couple of failures after 5 years or so, but both have
been repairable without too much effort.

Bottom line is that after a couple of years, new monitors are bigger and
better for less money. I buy cheapish and expect to change every few
years

I've just purchased 5 x 19" (AOC) and two x 24" (Fujkitsu) monitors
the 19" were £60 each and the 24" were £107 delivered

crisp and clear, good enough for my requirements

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have a CRT monitor and it's perfectly ok but I was thinking about
getting an LCD monitor to free up some space on my desk. I don't know
anything about these, so can anyone give me some advice about what to
get or what to avoid?

Like you, I had a great old Sony CRT (which is still working fine) but
needed to get something wider screened.
I bought one of these a week ago, and it's brill.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_ips231p.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've just purchased 5 x 19" (AOC) and two x 24" (Fujkitsu) monitors
the 19" were £60 each and the 24" were £107 delivered

What kind of side bezel size do the 24 inchers have??

i'm looking to get 3 monitors of the same type for my bus and train
simulator im making, will be using eyefinity, initially with a single gfx
card so will need to use a display port to dvi adaptor for the 3rd monitor,
but eventually i'll get another gfx card and sli/crossfire them (i assume i
can run the third monitor off one of the 2nd gfx cards outputs)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

MY operating system will allow at least 6 'virtual screens'. One click
away..

Since I cant actually look at more than one screen at a time, its just
as good, and LOTS cheaper.

Especially if one of them is running windows, and the other 5 Linux :-)

Cheaper, maybe (since when were you or I that concerned about saving a
few pennies?), but, no way as good

I can route the HDMI through the AV box to the TV, thus having some
noise (AKA video) in the background to help me concentrate while using
two screens to have a couple of spreadsheets running (As I was today
while doing a price list update)

scrolling through virtual screens - a nice toy, but not so useful in
real world applications

Too true - very much not as good.

My third screen is largely dedicated to Skype - not for phone traffic but
for chat. Cooperative working with people around the country needs easy
communication. Having that window always visible means I can know what is
going on without any more than a glance. Others who do not have a third
monitor keep missing messages - at least they do not notice them when
needed aven if they catch up later.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

I have heard the name "iiyama"; are they considered good?

Yes

iiyama was always good, and is still a safe bet. Not great at the higher
end though IMO - I think you pay a bit for the name and the (no longer
valid) reputation.

Steer clear of some of the lower end tat like Digimate (DiGM) and most
makers have some reasonable kit. Using quite a few Samsung ones
recently. Had a couple of failures after 5 years or so, but both have
been repairable without too much effort.

Yeah, all the much the same (and I suspect, largely that same panels ) in
the midrange gear. Generally avoid cheap, but I'll admit to being seriously
impressed with

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000GYHS6Y

I bought a couple, and have since known loads to be rolled out. They seem
solid, reliable (no failures over 8 that are coming up to 3 years old)
and offer a 1440x900 res in a smallish monitor - unusual. VGA and DVI as
well which can be useful.

Of course, your milage may vary - don't sue me if you have endless grief
with them!

High end the Dells are good - not cheap, but basically the same panels
as Apple use (which are very nice...). Mind you, their prices are in
Apple territory as well:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home...ll-u2711&s=dhs

If you need the res, they are luuuurverly... :-) Mind you, bit of an overkill
for someone looking to upgrade from an old CRT

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

witha widescreen, you can put two A4 pages side by side. Useful if you do
any Desktop Publishing.

Thanks. Something else I should have asked: what size is best? I have
a 17" at the moment. Do I really need a 19"?

Decide what res you want first - then find a monitor. You can get a lower
resolution 19" than 17" if you aren't careful.

Equally, 1440x900 on a 19" widescreen is going to make things a lot smaller
than that res on a 22" or similar. How good is your eye sight?

Darren