Posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.d-i-y

Default Accessing network shares from a Windows Phone ?

(x-posted to uk.d-i-y as a lot of expertise there)

Anyone know if it's possible to access a windows share from a windows
phone (on Mango) ?

Despite some convoluted googling, it appears that I am the only person in
the world who has ever wanted to do this !
Posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 08/11/2011 12:12, Jethro wrote:
(x-posted to uk.d-i-y as a lot of expertise there)

Anyone know if it's possible to access a windows share from a windows
phone (on Mango) ?

Despite some convoluted googling, it appears that I am the only person in
the world who has ever wanted to do this !

Back when I had a windows phone I used to use Resco File Explorer to
access network shares on WM 6.5, it may work on Mango, their page claims
it does:
http://www.resco.net/WindowsMobile/Explorer

Android user now, see no reason to go back to a Windows phone

Posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Ignore that, misread the question.
Posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2011 12:12, Jethro wrote:
(x-posted to uk.d-i-y as a lot of expertise there)

Anyone know if it's possible to access a windows share from a windows
phone (on Mango) ?

Despite some convoluted googling, it appears that I am the only person in
the world who has ever wanted to do this !

Nope. Me.

I've done it on my HTC HD Mini (Windows Mobile 6.5) using 'Total
Commander' and the same also works on the standard supplied 'Windows
Explorer' applet, but the latter for file handling features is crap.

For me, this is over 3G via an installed OpenVPN client ('other VPN
clients are available...') and a Samba share from the NAS (i.e. very
basic authentication). This potentially means I can get at my NAS held
files from anywhere in the world, and it's pretty secure with
certificates and all....

But very clunky sometimes, and with several random dialogs scattered
with 'Error 53' if the signal dives, I decided against wasting time
getting it to play with desktop Windows 7. But then again, it's a small
phone. I'd rather do my remote access on other stuff.

Of course with Windows Mobile 7.5 will MS force ye to use their protocols?

--
Adrian C