Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT(ish) Mystery Object

Emptying an old shed this weekend (that's the DIY bit) and found this
odd little item. Our current theory is that it may be plumbing
related, I think it may be to do with lead work. Any ideas guys?

http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z385/johnupatree/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 03:59:53 -0800 (PST), johno wrote:

Emptying an old shed this weekend (that's the DIY bit) and found this
odd little item. Our current theory is that it may be plumbing
related, I think it may be to do with lead work. Any ideas guys?

It's iron if it was used for bashing lead sheet I'd expect to see
traces of lead left behind. Lead beaters tend to be wooden.

The other half said it's a golf club head, shaft through the hole in
the stem or possibly along the stem. I don't quite see it being a
gold club head though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 03:59:53 -0800 (PST), johno wrote:

I think it may be to do with lead work. Any ideas guys?

if it was used for bashing lead sheet I'd expect to see
traces of lead left behind.

Rather than being a handle, the pointy-end looked to me like it was more
for poking somewhere the sun don't shine to pour in the contents of the
ladle-end.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rather than being a handle, the pointy-end looked to me like it was more
for poking somewhere the sun don't shine to pour in the contents of the
ladle-end.

Ooooh matron! Sadly we can discount that as the handle is solid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2011 11:59, johno wrote:
Emptying an old shed this weekend (that's the DIY bit) and found this
odd little item. Our current theory is that it may be plumbing
related, I think it may be to do with lead work. Any ideas guys?

http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z385/johnupatree/

Fascinating. If you discover what it is - please report back!

--
Kev

Justice? You get justice in the next world,
in this world you have the law...
William Gaddis

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rather than being a handle, the pointy-end looked to me like it was more
for poking somewhere the sun don't shine to pour in the contents of the
ladle-end.

Oooooer Matron! I think we can safely discount that one Andy, as the
'handle' is not hollow. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

johno wrote:
Rather than being a handle, the pointy-end looked to me like it was more
for poking somewhere the sun don't shine to pour in the contents of the
ladle-end.

Oooooer Matron! I think we can safely discount that one Andy, as the
'handle' is not hollow. :-)

oh?

That is interesting as it looks like a ladle with traps for something.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2011 12:41, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 03:59:53 -0800 (PST), johno wrote:

Emptying an old shed this weekend (that's the DIY bit) and found this
odd little item. Our current theory is that it may be plumbing
related, I think it may be to do with lead work. Any ideas guys?

It's iron if it was used for bashing lead sheet I'd expect to see
traces of lead left behind. Lead beaters tend to be wooden.

The other half said it's a golf club head, shaft through the hole in
the stem or possibly along the stem. I don't quite see it being a
gold club head though.

How about one half of a former garlic press?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 05:43:52 -0800 (PST), johno wrote:

Thank you Thomas

Go look at Nr. 2057, set 357, October 7, 2010.

You know you /need/ one...

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

johno wrote:

Rather than being a handle, the pointy-end looked to me like it was more
for poking somewhere the sun don't shine to pour in the contents of the
ladle-end.

Ooooh matron! Sadly we can discount that as the handle is solid.

Are those diamond shaped holes just a cross-piercing through the handle end?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are those diamond shaped holes just a cross-piercing through the handle end?

Yes Andy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Go look at Nr. 2057, set 357, October 7, 2010.

You know you /need/ one...

Thomas Prufer

Hmm, not sure were I would use it, but yes, what a great bit of kit!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 6:03*pm, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
Yes its a data file.

Groan, surprised Angle Grinders have not been mentioned ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 11:59*am, johno wrote:
Emptying an old shed this weekend (that's the DIY bit) and found this
odd little item. *Our current theory is that it may be plumbing
related, I think it may be to do with lead work. *Any ideas guys?

http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z385/johnupatree/

It is a tool for counting lead shot and tipping it into shotgun
cartridges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It is a tool for counting lead shot and tipping it into shotgun
cartridges.

Hmm, interesting. No obvious pouring spout though. Just tried it
with some small fishing weights and they went everywhere!! Also just
noticed two small repairs (rivets) in the 'bowl'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It is a tool for counting lead shot and tipping it into shotgun
cartridges.

Hmm, interesting theory. Only thing is there is no pouring lip or
spout. Just tried filling it with small fishing weights and filling a
small tube, the little sods went everywhere!!
Not totally convinced of that one Harry, but it's the best suggestion
so far.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
johno wrote:

It is a tool for counting lead shot and tipping it into shotgun
cartridges.

Hmm, interesting. No obvious pouring spout though. Just tried it
with some small fishing weights and they went everywhere!! Also just
noticed two small repairs (rivets) in the 'bowl'.

Do us another JPG Johno!

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2011 11:59, johno wrote:
Emptying an old shed this weekend (that's the DIY bit) and found this
odd little item. Our current theory is that it may be plumbing
related, I think it may be to do with lead work. Any ideas guys?

http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z385/johnupatree/

I was wondering if it could have been some sort of foot-pedal and that
the bowl was originally filled with, say, a leather covered pad...

--
Kev

Justice? You get justice in the next world,
in this world you have the law...
William Gaddis
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Ret." wrote:

I was wondering if it could have been some sort of foot-pedal and that
the bowl was originally filled with, say, a leather covered pad...

Exactly my thought! Or a handle with said pad; I've been trying to
think what might have had such a handle.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OK, so have taken another few piccies, this time of the riveted
repair. Can see the logic of the pedal, but why would you repair said
pedal with two very small rivets? My thinking is still along the
plumbing line and that the object may have held liquid, hence the need
to fill holes.

http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/...ee/Miscellany/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 10, 9:02*pm, johno wrote:
OK, so have taken another few piccies, this time of the riveted
repair. *Can see the logic of the pedal, but why would you repair said
pedal with two very small rivets? *My thinking is still along the
plumbing line and that the object may have held liquid, hence the need
to fill holes.

http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/...ee/Miscellany/

Cobbler's shoe tool?

The rivets suggest it was being hit at that point while in use.
I'd first thought it was some blacksmith's tool, that would be stuck
into a hole in an anvil or workbench. No idea really.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/11 1:02 PM, johno wrote:
OK, so have taken another few piccies, this time of the riveted
repair. Can see the logic of the pedal, but why would you repair said
pedal with two very small rivets? My thinking is still along the
plumbing line and that the object may have held liquid, hence the need
to fill holes.

http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/...ee/Miscellany/

I think it' a ladle. I'm guessing it would be used for something hot,
like melted metal or the slag floating on the top of liquid metal.
(What do I win?)

McGyver

mystery object ramu samy.k Metalworking 0 October 14th 10 06:33 PM
mystery object bof UK diy 14 August 15th 10 01:21 PM
Mystery object bof UK diy 22 September 10th 09 11:13 PM
Mystery object Ignoramus9483 Metalworking 13 July 29th 09 05:29 AM
Mystery DIY Object [email protected] UK diy 15 August 8th 08 02:33 PM