Posted to uk.d-i-y
cdr cdr is offline

Default OT - how heavy does an under the counter fridge weigh?

Please can someone tell me if a typical "under the counter style"
fridge (eg ~ £150 @ Argos) can be moved by 1 person, in to the back of
a van without the use of a "tail lift" that you get on most Luton
vans.

A tail lift on a Luton van is handy for transporting a washing machine
as they are very heavy, but I was hoping to use a smaller & cheaper
van without one.

Does anyone have any recent box packaging from a newly bought "under
the counter style" fridge, that states its kilogram weight of the
product?

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

cdr wrote:
Please can someone tell me if a typical "under the counter style"
fridge (eg ~ £150 @ Argos) can be moved by 1 person, in to the back of
a van without the use of a "tail lift" that you get on most Luton
vans.

Weight-wise it's do-able - I'd guess about 15-20kg. The main thing is
they're just an annoying shape to pick up. If you don't have long enough
arms to get a good grip you can 'walk' them around (shifting from one corner
to the next) or maybe slide on a blanket or a suitcase trolley.

You can get them into the back of a (big enough) normal car as one person
without too much hassle - just turning it over the boot lip and sliding it
in is the main hurdle.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 03:16:31 -0800 (PST), cdr wrote:

Please can someone tell me if a typical "under the counter style"
fridge (eg ~ £150 @ Argos) can be moved by 1 person, in to the back of
a van without the use of a "tail lift" that you get on most Luton
vans.

I guess you mean a built in "under the counter" fridge rather than a
freestanding one stuffed into a suiable recess(*). Isn't the weight
given in the specifications? Maybe visit the makers web site and
download the manual/installation instructions.

(*) Which you shouldn't do unless you make adequate ventilation
provision.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 11:16*am, cdr wrote:
Please can someone tell me if a typical "under the counter style"
fridge (eg ~ £150 @ Argos) can be moved by 1 person, in to the back of
a van without the use of a "tail lift" that you get on most Luton
vans.

A tail lift on a Luton van is handy for transporting a washing machine
as they are very heavy, but I was hoping to use a smaller & cheaper
van without one.

Does anyone have any recent box packaging from a newly bought "under
the counter style" fridge, that states its kilogram weight of the
product?

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice.

Yes, theyre perfectly liftable single handed. OTOH I'm not really sure
if its wise to re back health, some are a fair weight, and its all at
an awkward angle.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:

cdr wrote:
Please can someone tell me if a typical "under the counter style"
fridge (eg ~ £150 @ Argos) can be moved by 1 person, in to the back
of a van without the use of a "tail lift" that you get on most Luton
vans.

Weight-wise it's do-able - I'd guess about 15-20kg. The main thing is
they're just an annoying shape to pick up. If you don't have long
enough arms to get a good grip you can 'walk' them around (shifting
from one corner to the next) or maybe slide on a blanket or a
suitcase trolley.

You can get them into the back of a (big enough) normal car as one
person without too much hassle - just turning it over the boot lip
and sliding it in is the main hurdle.

+1

--
Paul - xxx
"You know, all I wanna do is race .. and all I wanna do is win"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2011 11:16, cdr wrote:
Please can someone tell me if a typical "under the counter style"
fridge (eg ~ £150 @ Argos) can be moved by 1 person, in to the back of
a van without the use of a "tail lift" that you get on most Luton
vans.

A tail lift on a Luton van is handy for transporting a washing machine
as they are very heavy, but I was hoping to use a smaller& cheaper
van without one.

Does anyone have any recent box packaging from a newly bought "under
the counter style" fridge, that states its kilogram weight of the
product?

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice.

Lifting it on so it remains vertical might be difficult because they are
difficult to hold.

I had no problem tipping a larger one in to the back of a hatchback and
swinging it back vertical on to the ground at the other end.

If you do opt to allow it to go horizontal at some stage see if you can
find out which side is best to rest it on and if it is to be used again
leave it upright for 24 hours before turning it back on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2011 11:16, cdr wrote:
Please can someone tell me if a typical "under the counter style"
fridge (eg ~ £150 @ Argos) can be moved by 1 person, in to the back of
a van without the use of a "tail lift" that you get on most Luton
vans.

A tail lift on a Luton van is handy for transporting a washing machine
as they are very heavy, but I was hoping to use a smaller& cheaper
van without one.

Does anyone have any recent box packaging from a newly bought "under
the counter style" fridge, that states its kilogram weight of the
product?

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice.

Take the door off if it helps. Most fridges are designed for this to
allow left or right opening.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
cdr writes:
Please can someone tell me if a typical "under the counter style"
fridge (eg ~ £150 @ Argos) can be moved by 1 person, in to the back of
a van without the use of a "tail lift" that you get on most Luton
vans.
A tail lift on a Luton van is handy for transporting a washing machine
as they are very heavy, but I was hoping to use a smaller & cheaper
van without one.
Does anyone have any recent box packaging from a newly bought "under
the counter style" fridge, that states its kilogram weight of the
product?
Thanks a lot in advance for any advice.

Avoid tipping it too far off it's upright position.
Once in place, leave it for 24 hours to settle before switching on.
If it's been tipped over, additional measures may be needed to power
it up without writing off the compressor (even more so for a freezer).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 11:16*am, cdr wrote:
Please can someone tell me if a typical "under the counter style"
fridge (eg ~ £150 @ Argos) can be moved by 1 person, in to the back of
a van without the use of a "tail lift" that you get on most Luton
vans.

A tail lift on a Luton van is handy for transporting a washing machine
as they are very heavy, but I was hoping to use a smaller & cheaper
van without one.

Does anyone have any recent box packaging from a newly bought "under
the counter style" fridge, that states its kilogram weight of the
product?

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice.

Some fridges are best not laid on their backs. The compressor is
mounted on springs inside the hermetic case and they can be damaged by
"non-down forces", They usually have the "umbrella" sign on the box.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 5:24 pm, harry wrote:
On Nov 7, 11:16 am, cdr wrote:

Please can someone tell me if a typical "under the counter style"
fridge (eg ~ £150 @ Argos) can be moved by 1 person, in to the back of
a van without the use of a "tail lift" that you get on most Luton
vans.

A tail lift on a Luton van is handy for transporting a washing machine
as they are very heavy, but I was hoping to use a smaller & cheaper
van without one.

Does anyone have any recent box packaging from a newly bought "under
the counter style" fridge, that states its kilogram weight of the
product?

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice.

Some fridges are best not laid on their backs. The compressor is
mounted on springs inside the hermetic case and they can be damaged by
"non-down forces", They usually have the "umbrella" sign on the box.

??
shurely an umbrella icon indicates "keep dry" ?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2011 20:32, ARWadsworth wrote:
Jim K wrote:
On Nov 7, 5:24 pm, wrote:
On Nov 7, 11:16 am, wrote:

[...]

This way up is usually a couple of arrows as I recall.
Moved a fridge freezer a while back that said in the instructions it
must always be kept upright. Found somewhere else that said if it needs
to be moved horizontally do so with its left side downwards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 7 Nov,
"Paul - xxx" wrote:

Theo Markettos wrote:

cdr wrote:
Please can someone tell me if a typical "under the counter style"
fridge (eg ~ £150 @ Argos) can be moved by 1 person, in to the back
of a van without the use of a "tail lift" that you get on most Luton
vans.

Weight-wise it's do-able - I'd guess about 15-20kg. The main thing is
they're just an annoying shape to pick up. If you don't have long
enough arms to get a good grip you can 'walk' them around (shifting
from one corner to the next) or maybe slide on a blanket or a
suitcase trolley.

You can get them into the back of a (big enough) normal car as one
person without too much hassle - just turning it over the boot lip
and sliding it in is the main hurdle.

+1

But bear inmind that if it doesn't travel upright it needs to stand for about
24 hours before powering to let the refrigerant settle.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Nov, 11:16, cdr wrote:
Please can someone tell me if a typical "under the counter style"
fridge (eg ~ £150 @ Argos) can be moved by 1 person, in to the back of
a van without the use of a "tail lift" that you get on most Luton
vans.

A tail lift on a Luton van is handy for transporting a washing machine
as they are very heavy, but I was hoping to use a smaller & cheaper
van without one.

Does anyone have any recent box packaging from a newly bought "under
the counter style" fridge, that states its kilogram weight of the
product?

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice.

Hi, I would take a short length of cord or rope put around the base to
help you lift more safely from a squat postion and
something to perhaps protect the paintwork at back of car so you can
rest the box or fridge on it then get under it to slide it in.
I did it recently with no problem...but protect your back...at any
age ! D
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 7 Nov,
"Paul - xxx" wrote:

Theo Markettos wrote:

cdr wrote:
Please can someone tell me if a typical "under the counter
style" fridge (eg ~ £150 @ Argos) can be moved by 1 person, in
to the back of a van without the use of a "tail lift" that you
get on most Luton vans.

Weight-wise it's do-able - I'd guess about 15-20kg. The main
thing is they're just an annoying shape to pick up. If you don't
have long enough arms to get a good grip you can 'walk' them
around (shifting from one corner to the next) or maybe slide on a
blanket or a suitcase trolley.

You can get them into the back of a (big enough) normal car as one
person without too much hassle - just turning it over the boot lip
and sliding it in is the main hurdle.

+1

But bear inmind that if it doesn't travel upright it needs to stand
for about 24 hours before powering to let the refrigerant settle.

sniff
'snot my problem, innit. I just move 'em ..
/s

--
Paul - xxx
"You know, all I wanna do is race .. and all I wanna do is win"
Mark Cavendish, World Champion 2011.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
cdr wrote:
Please can someone tell me if a typical "under the counter style"
fridge (eg ~ £150 @ Argos) can be moved by 1 person, in to the back of
a van without the use of a "tail lift" that you get on most Luton
vans.

A tail lift on a Luton van is handy for transporting a washing machine
as they are very heavy, but I was hoping to use a smaller & cheaper
van without one.

Hiring a tail lift van just for this will cost around 65 quid for the day
plus fuel etc. Cheaper to have it delivered?

You could load the average small fridge into a van or estate etc yourself
by sort of rolling it in. But you'd need a sack trolley to get it to the
van.

--
*If your feet smell and your nose runs, you're built upside down.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/11 11:16, cdr wrote:
Please can someone tell me if a typical "under the counter style"
fridge (eg ~ £150 @ Argos) can be moved by 1 person, in to the back of
a van without the use of a "tail lift" that you get on most Luton
vans.

Depends on the size/strength of the person. I have done it but it is a lot
easier if the fridge is not in its packaging...

You certainly wouldn't want to carry it far.

The weight it not the issue really, it's more a combination of weight and
awkward size (and nothing to hold on to).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/11/2011 6:24 a.m., harry wrote:
On Nov 7, 11:16 am, wrote:
Please can someone tell me if a typical "under the counter style"
fridge (eg ~ £150 @ Argos) can be moved by 1 person, in to the back of
a van without the use of a "tail lift" that you get on most Luton
vans.

A tail lift on a Luton van is handy for transporting a washing machine
as they are very heavy, but I was hoping to use a smaller& cheaper
van without one.

Does anyone have any recent box packaging from a newly bought "under
the counter style" fridge, that states its kilogram weight of the
product?

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice.

Some fridges are best not laid on their backs. The compressor is
mounted on springs inside the hermetic case and they can be damaged by
"non-down forces", They usually have the "umbrella" sign on the box.

In my experience (yes, that sort) one of the risks you run in
transporting a fridge on its side is causing microfractures in the piping.