Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any way to improve a floodlight's PIR range?

I've fixed a 500w floodlight to the wall of my house. Unfortunately the
effective range of the PIR movement sensor is not quite enough. Its
effective range seems to be about 7 metres and I need it to be at least
10M. Is there anyway I can increase the range of the sensor?

TIA

D. Dalton

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2011 21:25, D. Dalton wrote:
I've fixed a 500w floodlight to the wall of my house. Unfortunately the
effective range of the PIR movement sensor is not quite enough. Its
effective range seems to be about 7 metres and I need it to be at least
10M. Is there anyway I can increase the range of the sensor?

Stick another standalone PIR sensor further away from the light to cover
the currently uncovered area.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ng_ with_PIRs

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
On 06/11/2011 21:25, D. Dalton wrote:
I've fixed a 500w floodlight to the wall of my house. Unfortunately the
effective range of the PIR movement sensor is not quite enough. Its
effective range seems to be about 7 metres and I need it to be at least
10M. Is there anyway I can increase the range of the sensor?

Stick another standalone PIR sensor further away from the light to cover
the currently uncovered area.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ng_ with_PIRs

This sort of light combined with a PIR is a compromise, because the
ideal light height is completely different from the ideal PIR height.
If the PIR can be angled separately from the light, you could try
angling the PIR up, but you will probably lose nearby coverage.
Ideally, the PIR wants to be much lower than a 500W floodlamp,
something like 8-10 feet for the PIR, 30 feet for the 500W floodlamp.

500W floodlamps are almost always incorrectly installed much too low down
on homes, where what should have been used are several much lower power
lights. If you use a floodlamp, it should be angled to prevent any light
being emitted horizontally or upwards, i.e. always pointing down.
Ideally, the mounting height should be about the same as the intended
beam spread, but certainly no less than half this. Don't allow light to
spill on to someone else's land or property without their permission.
Don't allow light to spill onto a public path/roadway without ensuring
there's no glare, i.e. the light bulb itself can't be seen by users of
the path/road, and the lighting level isn't too high, either of which
could temporarily destroy the road users' night vision.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 11:42*am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ng#Two_way_swi....

[...]

+1

That sounds like a good start for an outdor lighting article on the
wiki. Fancy putting it on there?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

500W floodlamps are almost always incorrectly installed much too low down
on homes, where what should have been used are several much lower power
lights. If you use a floodlamp, it should be angled to prevent any light
being emitted horizontally or upwards, i.e. always pointing down.
Ideally, the mounting height should be about the same as the intended
beam spread, but certainly no less than half this. Don't allow light to
spill on to someone else's land or property without their permission.
Don't allow light to spill onto a public path/roadway without ensuring
there's no glare, i.e. the light bulb itself can't be seen by users of
the path/road, and the lighting level isn't too high, either of which
could temporarily destroy the road users' night vision.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Most installers seem to favour the theory of " Look how far the light will
travel". Then they remain set like that until they eventually fall off the
wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 15:32:45 -0000, DerbyBoy wrote:

Most installers seem to favour the theory of " Look how far the light
will travel".

There is a farm the other side of the valley that has a couple of
high pressure sodium (or something) lights that send enough light in
our direction to read by! This farm is 3/4 of a mile away and 260'
lower.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Yes, I should have some time later in the week.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
wrote:
[...]

Low mounting has already been mentioned but a serious fault of the
standard *close coupled* low wattage fitting is that the PIR unit swivel
adjustment is quite limited. If the lamp is angled down to restrict the
light spread, the PIR cannot be raised enough to give the expected
range.

150 Watts is adequate to illuminate a 20m x 20m yard.

Installers should consider boiler flues and wind blown vegetation as
well as returning after dark to check the operation.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 10:02*pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes

wrote:
[...]

Not sure if will work with PIRs, but I needed to change the direction
and range of some thermopiles. I used aluminium foil as a reflector.
Lyndsay
http://www.sensecam.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D. Dalton" wrote in message

I've fixed a 500w floodlight to the wall of my house. Unfortunately the
effective range of the PIR movement sensor is not quite enough. Its
effective range seems to be about 7 metres and I need it to be at least
10M. Is there anyway I can increase the range of the sensor?

Put the PIR assembly near the target area, use the PIR to control a relay
which will allow the actual lamps to be as far away as you like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian" wrote in
om:

"D. Dalton" wrote in message

I've fixed a 500w floodlight to the wall of my house. Unfortunately
the effective range of the PIR movement sensor is not quite enough.
Its effective range seems to be about 7 metres and I need it to be at
least 10M. Is there anyway I can increase the range of the sensor?

Put the PIR assembly near the target area, use the PIR to control a
relay which will allow the actual lamps to be as far away as you like.

I think that might be my best option - thanks... (if I can figure out how
to do it). What would probably be most suitable would be a battery-powered
PIR sensor to that sends a wireless signal to the floodlight's switching
device. That's because it's not very practical to have wires going to the
PIR, if I place it close to the target area.I have not been able to locate
such an item, but I'll keep looking...

DD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 10, 10:48*pm, "D. Dalton" wrote:
"Ian" wrote innews:KY2dnRzbRY013iHTnZ2dnUVZ8kudnZ2d@brightview .com:

"D. Dalton" wrote in message

I've fixed a 500w floodlight to the wall of my house. Unfortunately
the effective range of the PIR movement sensor is not quite enough.
Its effective range seems to be about 7 metres and I need it to be at
least 10M. Is there anyway I can increase the range of the sensor?

Put the PIR assembly near the target area, use the PIR to control a
relay which will allow the actual lamps to be as far away as you like.

I think that might be my best option - thanks... (if I can figure out how
to do it). What would probably be most suitable would be a battery-powered
PIR sensor to that sends a wireless signal to the floodlight's switching
device. That's because it's not very practical to have wires going to the
PIR, if I place it close to the target area.I have not been able to locate
such an item, but I'll keep looking...

DD

couple of other options mentioned
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...tdoor_lighting

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2011 22:48, D. Dalton wrote:
wrote in
om:

"D. wrote in message

I've fixed a 500w floodlight to the wall of my house. Unfortunately
the effective range of the PIR movement sensor is not quite enough.
Its effective range seems to be about 7 metres and I need it to be at
least 10M. Is there anyway I can increase the range of the sensor?

Put the PIR assembly near the target area, use the PIR to control a
relay which will allow the actual lamps to be as far away as you like.

I think that might be my best option - thanks... (if I can figure out how
to do it). What would probably be most suitable would be a battery-powered

Standalone PIRs already include the relay... (I posted a diagram of how
its wired a few posts back).

PIR sensor to that sends a wireless signal to the floodlight's switching
device. That's because it's not very practical to have wires going to the
PIR, if I place it close to the target area.I have not been able to locate
such an item, but I'll keep looking...

Like this:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...Pir/index.html

or