Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fax v Scan (OT legal -ish)

Why will some official organisations accept a Fax but they will not accept a
scan (into PDF Format)?

Is it just a case of their rules not being updated?

Regards

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2011 19:45, DerbyBoy wrote:
Why will some official organisations accept a Fax but they will not
accept a scan (into PDF Format)?

Is it just a case of their rules not being updated?

Probably because they have not realised one can fax something that was
scanned!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2011 19:45, DerbyBoy wrote:
Why will some official organisations accept a Fax but they will not
accept a scan (into PDF Format)?

Is it just a case of their rules not being updated?

Regards

John

I don't know, but it may be a case of the law. At one time, contractual
documents had to be originals, certified copies or telexes. Then the law
was changed and faxes became legal documents. It may just be that the
law hasn't been updated to legalise scanned/pdfd documents and that some
organisations are not willing to take the risk of acting on documents
that are not legally recognised.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/11 19:45, DerbyBoy wrote:
Why will some official organisations accept a Fax but they will not
accept a scan (into PDF Format)?

Is it just a case of their rules not being updated?

Regards

John

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/09/07/027235/why-the-fax-machine-refuses-to-die
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
On 01/11/2011 19:45, DerbyBoy wrote:
Why will some official organisations accept a Fax but they will not
accept a scan (into PDF Format)?

Is it just a case of their rules not being updated?

I don't know, but it may be a case of the law. At one time, contractual
documents had to be originals, certified copies or telexes. Then the law
was changed and faxes became legal documents. It may just be that the
law hasn't been updated to legalise scanned/pdfd documents and that some
organisations are not willing to take the risk of acting on documents
that are not legally recognised.

A proviso used to be that there had to be an original document, and the
fax machine was considered to be just a photocopier with a remote
printing head.

Telex contracts were considered legal documents, as what was typed on
either machine was simultaneously printed on both machines, and was
traceable, as there existed an unbroken, verified, link between the two
machines.

In my experience, firms use the fax as permission to proceed, pending
the arrival of the original contract document through the post. Evidence
of a contract, but not a contract document.

IANAL, though.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 1, 8:44*pm, Chris Bartram
wrote:
On 01/11/11 19:45, DerbyBoy wrote: Why will some official organisations accept a Fax but they will not
accept a scan (into PDF Format)?

Is it just a case of their rules not being updated?

Regards

John

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/09/07/027235/why-the-fax-machine-re...

Very interesting - never thought of it in that way. Thanks for the
link.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2011 20:59, John Williamson wrote:
In my experience, firms use the fax as permission to proceed, pending
the arrival of the original contract document through the post. Evidence
of a contract, but not a contract document.

I bought a car 10 years ago or so on a faxed contract.

They seemed to think it was binding, even citing the small print on the
back of the contract as proof that they could increase the agreed price
because the manufacturer had increased their price.

"On the back of the fax?" I said over the 'phone. There was a long
silence. We paid the agreed price.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
On 01/11/2011 20:59, John Williamson wrote:
In my experience, firms use the fax as permission to proceed, pending
the arrival of the original contract document through the post. Evidence
of a contract, but not a contract document.

I bought a car 10 years ago or so on a faxed contract.

They seemed to think it was binding, even citing the small print on the
back of the contract as proof that they could increase the agreed price
because the manufacturer had increased their price.

"On the back of the fax?" I said over the 'phone. There was a long
silence. We paid the agreed price.

That'll teach them to fax *both* sides...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message

On Nov 1, 8:44 pm, Chris Bartram
wrote:
On 01/11/11 19:45, DerbyBoy wrote: Why will some official organisations
accept a Fax but they will not
accept a scan (into PDF Format)?

Is it just a case of their rules not being updated?

Regards

John

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/09/07/027235/why-the-fax-machine-re...

Very interesting - never thought of it in that way. Thanks for the
link.

Agreed many thanks from the OP.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2011 20:42, Steve Walker wrote:
On 01/11/2011 19:45, DerbyBoy wrote:
Why will some official organisations accept a Fax but they will not
accept a scan (into PDF Format)?

Is it just a case of their rules not being updated?

Regards

John

I don't know, but it may be a case of the law. At one time, contractual
documents had to be originals, certified copies or telexes. Then the law
was changed and faxes became legal documents. It may just be that the
law hasn't been updated to legalise scanned/pdfd documents and that some
organisations are not willing to take the risk of acting on documents
that are not legally recognised.

The distance selling regulations recognise email as a proper means of
given written notice of intent to cancel the contract.

Colin Bignell

HP C5280 3 in 1, no more scan... Bernard Electronics Repair 11 November 18th 10 06:06 PM
shop tech - cat scan - 07 cat scan.jpg (1/1) mac davis Woodworking Plans and Photos 25 November 18th 07 08:30 PM
shop tech - cat scan - 07 cat scan.jpg (0/1) mac davis Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 November 18th 07 04:33 PM
It Don't Scan-- Ron Electronics Repair 8 January 5th 06 03:19 AM
scan of photofact TR-31? jhill Electronics Repair 2 November 17th 04 09:00 PM