Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - negotiating

I've got an item for sale on Gumtree.

It was on for £30.
I was asked what was my lowest price.
I replied £25.
I was then offered £20.

So, which part of 'lowest price' wasn't clear?

Is it necessary to go the £29, £28, £27.50.......route to get to your lowest
figure, or do most people believe you when you give your lowest figure?

Alternative strategies?

One friend says that in these circumstances the conversation goes roughly:
What will you take?
£25
Take £20
Price is now £26.....

Never tried this, but I might next time.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2011 10:33, David WE Roberts wrote:
I've got an item for sale on Gumtree.

It was on for £30.
I was asked what was my lowest price.
I replied £25.
I was then offered £20.

I have pretty much the same conversation with job agencies. Trick is to
refuse to give them your 'lowest price'. They can make an offer though,
and the ball is in your court whether to accept it, or push them to a
higher figure.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
On 31/10/2011 10:33, David WE Roberts wrote:
I've got an item for sale on Gumtree.

It was on for £30.
I was asked what was my lowest price.
I replied £25.
I was then offered £20.

I have pretty much the same conversation with job agencies. Trick is to
refuse to give them your 'lowest price'. They can make an offer though,
and the ball is in your court whether to accept it, or push them to a
higher figure.

Yeah.
To my mind the 'lowest offer' is designed to cut out all the long, time
wasting crap of offer and counter offer.
Accept the price or walk away.
Simples.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 31, 10:33*am, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
[...]

Watched 2 antique dealers discussing a batch of cameras, after 40
minutes neither had mentioned a price, appeared to be a sign of
weakness to actually name a figure.

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts :
I've got an item for sale on Gumtree.

It was on for £30.
I was asked what was my lowest price.
I replied £25.
I was then offered £20.

So, which part of 'lowest price' wasn't clear?

If your lowest price is £25, your answer is obvious. If your lowest
price isn't £25, or you don't have a lowest price fixed in your mind,
which part of "what's your lowest price" wasn't clear?

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
I've got an item for sale on Gumtree.

It was on for £30.
I was asked what was my lowest price.
I replied £25.
I was then offered £20.

So, which part of 'lowest price' wasn't clear?

Is it necessary to go the £29, £28, £27.50.......route to get to your
lowest figure, or do most people believe you when you give your lowest
figure?

Most people will believe you are lying.

Alternative strategies?

One friend says that in these circumstances the conversation goes roughly:
What will you take?
£25
Take £20
Price is now £26.....

Never tried this, but I might next time.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
I've got an item for sale on Gumtree.

It was on for £30.
I was asked what was my lowest price.
I replied £25.
I was then offered £20.

So, which part of 'lowest price' wasn't clear?

Is it necessary to go the £29, £28, £27.50.......route to get to your
lowest figure, or do most people believe you when you give your lowest
figure?

Most people will believe you are lying.

snip
Now I find that hard to believe ;-)

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

David WE Roberts wrote:
I've got an item for sale on Gumtree.

It was on for £30.
I was asked what was my lowest price.
I replied £25.
I was then offered £20.

So, which part of 'lowest price' wasn't clear?

Is it necessary to go the £29, £28, £27.50.......route to get to your
lowest figure, or do most people believe you when you give your
lowest figure?

Most people will believe you are lying.

snip
Now I find that hard to believe ;-)

Are you accusing me of lying?

:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
I've got an item for sale on Gumtree.

It was on for £30.
I was asked what was my lowest price.
I replied £25.
I was then offered £20.

So, which part of 'lowest price' wasn't clear?

Is it necessary to go the £29, £28, £27.50.......route to get to your
lowest figure, or do most people believe you when you give your
lowest figure?
Alternative strategies?

One friend says that in these circumstances the conversation goes
roughly: What will you take?
£25
Take £20
Price is now £26.....

Never tried this, but I might next time.

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3LL338aGA

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , David WE Roberts
writes
I've got an item for sale on Gumtree.

It was on for £30.
I was asked what was my lowest price.
I replied £25.
I was then offered £20.

"If you don't think it's worth 30, why don't you make me an offer?"

"I want to know your lowest price", "I don't work that way"

is my general approach but I would rather not sell than be dicked around
by some tosser.
--
fred
time for a new sig I think . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

They were just ascertaining that you had no other bids.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred writes
In article , David WE Roberts
writes
I've got an item for sale on Gumtree.

It was on for £30.
I was asked what was my lowest price.
I replied £25.
I was then offered £20.

"If you don't think it's worth 30, why don't you make me an offer?"

"I want to know your lowest price", "I don't work that way"

is my general approach but I would rather not sell than be dicked
around by some tosser.

Lucky you don't live in the "3rd world" then, isn't it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
harry wrote:

On Oct 31, 10:33*am, "David WE Roberts" wrote:

It was on for £30.
I was asked what was my lowest price.
I replied £25.
I was then offered £20.

They were just ascertaining that you had no other bids.

:-) That's the one! I'll remember that:

"What's your lowest price?"
"You mean what's the lowest I've been offered? £25: I refused, and he
went on his way. D'you want to make me an offer then?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 19:55:44 +0000, geoff wrote:

"If you don't think it's worth 30, why don't you make me an

offer?"

"I want to know your lowest price", "I don't work that way"

is my general approach but I would rather not sell than be dicked
around by some tosser.

Lucky you don't live in the "3rd world" then, isn't it

Maybe bust just asking for lowest or best price isn't reall haggling.
Real haggling is more like:

Buyer: How much is ... ?
Seller: £30
Buyer: Ooo, too much, £20?
Seller: I can't sell for that. £25?
Buyer: Still too much starts to walk
Seller: Wait, maybe I can go to £22.
Buyer: OK.

ie both sides are making and rejecting offers, not just one.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 31, 6:12*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:
I've got an item for sale on Gumtree.

It was on for £30.
I was asked what was my lowest price.
I replied £25.
I was then offered £20.

So, which part of 'lowest price' wasn't clear?

Is it necessary to go the £29, £28, £27.50.......route to get to your
lowest figure, or do most people believe you when you give your
lowest figure?
Alternative strategies?

One friend says that in these circumstances the conversation goes
roughly: What will you take?
£25
Take £20
Price is now £26.....

Never tried this, but I might next time.

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3LL338aGA

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2a8TRSgzZY

Cheers
Adam

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 19:55:44 +0000, geoff wrote:

"If you don't think it's worth 30, why don't you make me an

offer?"

"I want to know your lowest price", "I don't work that way"

is my general approach but I would rather not sell than be dicked
around by some tosser.

Lucky you don't live in the "3rd world" then, isn't it

Maybe bust just asking for lowest or best price isn't reall haggling.

Yes it is

err excuse me is this a 5 minute argument or do you want the full half
hour

Actually I cunningly avoided use of the word haggling

We have become conditioned to accept posted prices, we just don't think
(which is true of most people most of the time)

I bought a DVD player last week in richer sounds - first question I
asked when we had agreed the model was "What discount can you give me".
They offered a tenner, claiming not much margin, but that was almost 5%,
better than a kick in the teeth

OTOH, I rarely give a discount, because my prices are the best the
customer is likely to get.

The value of an item is what someone is prepared to pay for it, if they
can get it for less than the asking price, if they have any sense, they
will

Real haggling is more like:

Buyer: How much is ... ?
Seller: £30
Buyer: Ooo, too much, £20?
Seller: I can't sell for that. £25?
Buyer: Still too much starts to walk
Seller: Wait, maybe I can go to £22.
Buyer: OK.

ie both sides are making and rejecting offers, not just one.

--
Cheers
Dave.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 11:55:19 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

David WE Roberts wrote:
I've got an item for sale on Gumtree.

It was on for £30.
I was asked what was my lowest price.
I replied £25.
I was then offered £20.

So, which part of 'lowest price' wasn't clear?

Is it necessary to go the £29, £28, £27.50.......route to get to your
lowest figure, or do most people believe you when you give your lowest
figure?

Most people will believe you are lying.

Exactly. Therefore, when asked this question, I always give them the
asking price as an answer.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

David WE Roberts wrote:
I've got an item for sale on Gumtree.

It was on for £30.
I was asked what was my lowest price.
I replied £25.
I was then offered £20.

So, which part of 'lowest price' wasn't clear?

Is it necessary to go the £29, £28, £27.50.......route to get to your
lowest figure, or do most people believe you when you give your lowest
figure?

Most people will believe you are lying.

Exactly. Therefore, when asked this question, I always give them the
asking price as an answer.

It is a bit like people getting upset about sniping on ebay. Set
your maximum bid and sit back.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

David WE Roberts wrote:
I've got an item for sale on Gumtree.

It was on for £30.
I was asked what was my lowest price.
I replied £25.
I was then offered £20.

So, which part of 'lowest price' wasn't clear?

Is it necessary to go the £29, £28, £27.50.......route to get to your
lowest figure, or do most people believe you when you give your lowest
figure?

Most people will believe you are lying.

Exactly. *Therefore, when asked this question, I always give them the
asking price as an answer.

It is a bit like people getting upset about sniping on ebay. Set
your maximum bid and sit back.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon *Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

I ALWAYS ask for discount. Doesn't matter what the shop. You'd be
surprised who will give it. If you don't ask you don't receive. (In
business I always keep a little bit in hand to give as discount. Keeps
the customer happy) When I have quoted a price and am asked for a
better one I start sucking my teeth. 'Had it priced to sell, you see.
Do't have much in it.' If they persist I'll slowly give discount.

The ones I really, really hate, and they are an ethnic minority, are
those who, when quoted say £1000 say 'Would you take £50' I just turn
my back and walk away.

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

"my lowest price ... to someone who asks for my lowest price ... is
thirty-five quid"

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

Buyer: How much is ... ?
Seller: £30
Buyer: Ooo, too much, £20?

I say at that point, "I'll meet you half way at £25"

Buyer: Still too much starts to walk

Fine, he can walk.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 04:13:57 -0700 (PDT), Adam Aglionby wrote:
[...]

Sounds like they'd been on the same course I was sent on.
In the 80s I was "given" (in lieu of a bonus ) a course on
negotiation and consultancy. Probably because my boss at the
time was a total spiv who wouldn't give a straight answer on
anything and would always, always try to get something knocked
off - hence the bonus - more as a "measuring up" exercise
than because he needed to get a penny off a box of biros.

Anyway, I digress. One part of this course was about negotiating
price and the view of the presenters was that the first person to
mention a number was putting themselves at a disadvantage. The
thought process was that if you had 2 people who asked to guess
the value of something, if 1 person guessed (say) £0 all the
second person had to do was to decide if this was too high or
too low and then say £9.99 or £10.01 accordingly to "win".
[ I know the principle doesn't transfer to the real world, but
these guys weren't "real-world" types, it was all a game to
them: to be won or lost, that's all that mattered. ]

My approach was to name my price and stick to it. This didn't go
down well with the lecturer who wanted to get us to haggle. They
regarded it more as a dominance game than a transaction and
would waste a great deal of time (more than their time was costed
at) to save/get insignificant amounts - just so long as they had
the last word.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maybe the "buyer" is as thick as pig ****.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2011 10:33, David WE Roberts wrote:
I've got an item for sale on Gumtree.

It was on for £30.
I was asked what was my lowest price.
I replied £25.
I was then offered £20.

So, which part of 'lowest price' wasn't clear?

I find this happens a lot with ladies of a certain ethnic origin.

LOCEO; How much to do XYZ?
TMH; £65.
LOCEO; Would you take £50?
TMH; No. If I wanted £50 I would have said £50.
LOCEO; But surely you could do it for £50?
TMH; Tell you what, meet me at Tesco later on. I'll do £65 worth of
shopping. If you can convince them to let me pay £50, I'll do your job
for £50.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 31/10/2011 10:33, David WE Roberts wrote:
I've got an item for sale on Gumtree.

It was on for £30.
I was asked what was my lowest price.
I replied £25.
I was then offered £20.

So, which part of 'lowest price' wasn't clear?

I find this happens a lot with ladies of a certain ethnic origin.

LOCEO; How much to do XYZ?
TMH; £65.
LOCEO; Would you take £50?
TMH; No. If I wanted £50 I would have said £50.
LOCEO; But surely you could do it for £50?
TMH; Tell you what, meet me at Tesco later on. I'll do £65 worth of
shopping. If you can convince them to let me pay £50, I'll do your
job for £50.....

Reminds me of the £100 job I did and the owner scraped his car down the gate
post on the way to the cashpoint. He gave me £90 as he had bought a tin of
paint to fix the car out of the £100!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

I always get this with my neighbour, it's car valeting I do though. Somehow thinks he is special and wants me to do it for £5 and expects everything for nothing!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 18:09:05 -0000, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Reminds me of the £100 job I did and the owner scraped his car down the gate
post on the way to the cashpoint. He gave me £90 as he had bought a tin of
paint to fix the car out of the £100!

Some people's brains just don't work right.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Reminds me of the £100 job I did and the owner scraped his car down
the gate post on the way to the cashpoint. He gave me £90 as he had
bought a tin of paint to fix the car out of the £100!

Some people's brains just don't work right.

I did teach him some maths.

£100 = your car will not catch fire, £100 and your car catches fire

It was simple equation that he mis-understood.

He then offered to pay me the missing £10 the next time I worked for him!

In the end I lost the tenner and I just stuck a load of expanding foam up
his cars exhuast pipe and knifed the paintwork that he had not scraped down
the gate post.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

I would be surprised. Shops virtually never give discounts.

If you don't ask you don't receive. (In
business I always keep a little bit in hand to give as discount. Keeps
the customer happy)

Or they look at the price and shop elsewhere?
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Reminds me of the £100 job I did and the owner scraped his car down
the gate post on the way to the cashpoint. He gave me £90 as he had
bought a tin of paint to fix the car out of the £100!

Some people's brains just don't work right.

I did teach him some maths.

£100 = your car will not catch fire, £100 and your car catches fire

It was simple equation that he mis-understood.

He then offered to pay me the missing £10 the next time I worked for him!

In the end I lost the tenner and I just stuck a load of expanding foam up
his cars exhuast pipe and knifed the paintwork that he had not scraped down
the gate post.

What did the Police say?
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway Handyman
scribeth thus
On 31/10/2011 10:33, David WE Roberts wrote:
I've got an item for sale on Gumtree.

It was on for £30.
I was asked what was my lowest price.
I replied £25.
I was then offered £20.

So, which part of 'lowest price' wasn't clear?

I find this happens a lot with ladies of a certain ethnic origin.

LOCEO; How much to do XYZ?
TMH; £65.
LOCEO; Would you take £50?
TMH; No. If I wanted £50 I would have said £50.
LOCEO; But surely you could do it for £50?
TMH; Tell you what, meet me at Tesco later on. I'll do £65 worth of
shopping. If you can convince them to let me pay £50, I'll do your job
for £50.....

LOL! .. Nice one;!.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I ALWAYS ask for discount. Doesn't matter what the shop. You'd be
surprised who will give it.

I would be surprised. Shops virtually never give discounts.

Depends who you ask. No point in asking the pod person on the checkout, you
need someone with some power, preferably the owner.

I can't think of many shops where the owner would even be in the
premises.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I ALWAYS ask for discount. Doesn't matter what the shop. You'd be
surprised who will give it.

I would be surprised. Shops virtually never give discounts.

Depends who you ask. No point in asking the pod person on the checkout, you
need someone with some power, preferably the owner.

I can't think of many shops where the owner would even be in the
premises.

If you are in such a small shop that the owner's there, it's almost
certain that you can buy cheaper online which is probably why
internet shopping is so popular.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

root wrote:
If you are in such a small shop that the owner's there, it's almost
certain that you can buy cheaper online which is probably why
internet shopping is so popular.

It depends on what you're buying, how often, and how well you get on
with the shop owner, IME.

OTOH, I've sometimes had discounts offered in places like Comet by
asking the right person.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Reminds me of the £100 job I did and the owner scraped his car down
the gate post on the way to the cashpoint. He gave me £90 as he had
bought a tin of paint to fix the car out of the £100!

Some people's brains just don't work right.

I did teach him some maths.

£100 = your car will not catch fire, £100 and your car catches fire

It was simple equation that he mis-understood.

He then offered to pay me the missing £10 the next time I worked for
him!

In the end I lost the tenner and I just stuck a load of expanding
foam up his cars exhuast pipe and knifed the paintwork that he had
not scraped down the gate post.

What did the Police say?

I did not tell them.

--