Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Learning to make cupboards properly

I want to attempt build an alcove cupboard and shelves similar to
these:
http://www.originalcupboardcompany.c...o_4788519.html
http://www.superstock.co.uk/stock-ph...ages/4161-5568
http://www.avforums.com/forums/12952474-post13.html

I've done bits similar to this in the past but have just sort of made
it up as I went along. Is there a good carpentry book or an online
resource that anyone could recommend where I could learn to it
properly? I guess I'm interested in how I SHOULD make the frame and
what sort of joints I could use, etc

Ideally I don't want to have to buy any expensive equipment unless it
would provide a great benefit, partly because I've run out of storage
space a home. Also I'd want to be able to finish the project in a
reasonable time so would prefer to keep it simple and avoid things
like dovetail joints, etc *I've done some basic doweling before but
again I found this quite time consuming (partly because I had a cheap
crappy doweling kit)

At the moment I own a fold up work bench, some saws, clamps, a right-
angle thingy, cheap plane (is this something I should upgrade) and a
cordless power drill. Is there anything else I should think about
investing in that will make a big difference? A biscuit jointer/chop
saw?

Any advice greatly received

Charlie*
Posted to uk.d-i-y

these:http://www.originalcupboardcompany.c...74-post13.html

[...]

Rather than a biscuit jointer, I would go for a router. You can do
all sorts of wonderful things with a router: run it along a straight
edge to make a trench or straighten up a saw cut; cut mortises; etc.
I have a 1/4" Trend T5 (roughly £200). Don't be tempted to buy a
cheap router - they really aren't worth it.

If you can't afford a router, you might be better off buying a couple
of chisels and learning to sharpen them and your plane.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Put some brackets up.

If you make a cupboard make it a little small and then slide it in.
Cover strips can be simple architrave to match the rest of the room.

If you just put boards on the wall with shelf holders, beware sloping
walls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2011 12:58, Charlie wrote:
I want to attempt build an alcove cupboard and shelves similar to
these:
http://www.originalcupboardcompany.c...o_4788519.html
http://www.superstock.co.uk/stock-ph...ages/4161-5568
http://www.avforums.com/forums/12952474-post13.html

I've done bits similar to this in the past but have just sort of made
it up as I went along. Is there a good carpentry book or an online
resource that anyone could recommend where I could learn to it
properly? I guess I'm interested in how I SHOULD make the frame and
what sort of joints I could use, etc

There is no single "right" way to do this sort of thing, although there
are some ways that are better or quicker than others.

Ideally I don't want to have to buy any expensive equipment unless it
would provide a great benefit, partly because I've run out of storage
space a home. Also I'd want to be able to finish the project in a
reasonable time so would prefer to keep it simple and avoid things
like dovetail joints, etc I've done some basic doweling before but
again I found this quite time consuming (partly because I had a cheap
crappy doweling kit)

Got to admit I have never been that fond of doweling... has occasional
uses (although much depends on what you like building)

At the moment I own a fold up work bench, some saws, clamps, a right-
angle thingy, cheap plane (is this something I should upgrade) and a
cordless power drill. Is there anything else I should think about
investing in that will make a big difference? A biscuit jointer/chop
saw?

If you take this one as an example:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/12952474-post13.html

Its a very good example of how you can make what were probably quite
cheap and basic materials look quite classy. The bulk of the finishing
details were done with a router. The face frame has some nice stopped
box profiles, and an edge detail routed in. The stopped side chamfer is
also repeated on the corners of the cupboard. The sides have holes for
the shelf supports, again these can be routed easily with a straight
fluted cutter to plunge cut the first hole, and then fixing an offset
peg on the router base to engage with that hole, and space out the next
etc. (or you could route in a slot and use the nice brass adjustable
shelf inserts). The doors look like they were probably made from a slab
of MDF, with the edges rounded off with the router, and then some
beading mitred and planted on the face to create the raised panel
effect. The final finishing touches include the cornice at the top and
on the underside of the cupboard top (makes the top look far more
substantial and elegant IMHO). All in all a nice job (although I am not
as keen on the fireplace arrangement!)

So I agree with the others, a medium sized router is a very sensible
must have tool for any kind of furniture building. Buy a decent one to
start with (if you get a cheap one, you will soon be getting fed up with
its limitations and upgrading it!) Have a look at some of the guidelines
he

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/router.htm

A basic biscuit jointer is a quick and easy way of building carcasses
quickly. I used one in most projects:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Small_bookcase
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Desk_bookshelf
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Ornate_shelf
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Cabinet_clock

Details on them he

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/biscuit.htm

A chop saw is nice to have, but if you can mark out with a square and
cut to a line, its not essential. Having said that, some of the basic
chop saws are fairly cheap, and will cut simple stuff quick and square.
They do take up a fair bit of storage space though.

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/mitresaw.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do you want the bottom poking out like that? It makes it look like
an airing cupboard with a hot water tank hidden inside it.

When I replaced the fitten cupboard the previous owners had ripped
out of my house I simply attached battens to the side walls to hold
up the shelves, a frame across the floor, ceiling, up each wall
just behind the front, and planed timber fixed to the frame to form
the surround, sized to match the doors I was fitting into it.

He http://pics.mdfs.net/2011/10/111001.htm

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/11 12:58, Charlie wrote:
I want to attempt build an alcove cupboard and shelves similar to
these:
http://www.originalcupboardcompany.c...o_4788519.html
http://www.superstock.co.uk/stock-ph...ages/4161-5568
http://www.avforums.com/forums/12952474-post13.html

I've done bits similar to this in the past but have just sort of made
it up as I went along. Is there a good carpentry book or an online
resource that anyone could recommend where I could learn to it
properly? I guess I'm interested in how I SHOULD make the frame and
what sort of joints I could use, etc

I bought this book:
Build Like a Pro: Trim Carpentry,
http://www.tauntonstore.com/trim-car...ne-070954.html

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Oct, 23:22, "george [dicegeorge]"
wrote:
On 25/10/11 12:58, Charlie wrote:

I want to attempt build an alcove cupboard and shelves similar to
these:
http://www.originalcupboardcompany.c...o_4788519.html
http://www.superstock.co.uk/stock-ph...ages/4161-5568
http://www.avforums.com/forums/12952474-post13.html

I've done bits similar to this in the past but have just sort of made
it up as I went along. Is there a good carpentry book or an online
resource that anyone could recommend where I could learn to it
properly? I guess I'm interested in how I SHOULD make the frame and
what sort of joints I could use, etc

I bought this book:
Build Like a Pro: Trim Carpentry,http://www.tauntonstore.com/trim-car...clayton-dekorn...

[g]

Basically as others have said, build a box and slide it in then finish
off with a frame of moulding around the outside. You may be able to
pick up some fancy skirting that might do as moulding.

If you use chipboard for the basic box you can just screw it together
as the screws won't be seen, (This works, we do it regularly)
Alternatives would be :

http://www.axminster.co.uk/kreg-kreg...ig-prod655578/

If using these the two parts of the joint have to be firmly clamped as
the action of driving in the screw can cause the joint to squirm.
Cover caps for various colours are available and are quite good.

You can wedge the box in position if you dont want to screw it to the
wall or tilt it back a fraction with a few wedges. If wedging place
the wedges beside the shelves to stop the sides from bowing inwards.

Once its firmly in position its not going to go anywhere.

Its not really a difficult job. The expertise is in trimming out
around the box.

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...=Cabinet_clock

Details on them he

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/biscuit.htm

A chop saw is nice to have, but if you can mark out with a square and
cut to a line, its not essential. Having said that, some of the basic
chop saws are fairly cheap, and will cut simple stuff quick and square.
They do take up a fair bit of storage space though.

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/mitresaw.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

| * * * * *Internode Ltd - *http://www.internode.co.uk* * * * * *|
| * * * *John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk * * * * * * *|

Thanks John,

What you say makes sense. I think I need to go and buy a router.

Just another question - you mention using MDF for the doors. How does
MDF look when it's been routed? Do you get a good painted finish or
should I just use pine?

Charlie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2011 16:59, Charlie wrote:
On Oct 25, 2:56 pm, John wrote:
[...]

Yup, probably the first of a few (they can be a bit habit forming!)

Just another question - you mention using MDF for the doors. How does
MDF look when it's been routed? Do you get a good painted finish or
should I just use pine?

It routes ok, although you get a slightly fluffy edge. ok if you seal
with something, sand, and then finish again though.

Pine is ok, its nicer to route, and a tad easier to finish, but then
again will "move" a bit more with changes in humidity, so you need to
take a bit more care with large doors etc.

You can even get hardwood veneered MDF for show work if not painting,
Note you would need to usually lip it in hardwood though so as not to
show any cut ends.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Charlie" wrote in message
On Oct 25, 2:56 pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/10/2011 12:58, Charlie wrote:

If you take this one as an example:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/12952474-post13.html

Be interesting where viewer sites ... with that table and damn big vase &
plant in the way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:58:07 PM UTC+1, Charlie wrote:
[...]

I am planning to do one of these. I do not plan to use a router at all. You can get exactly the same effect by pinning / glueing on off-the-shelf mouldings.
Only advantage to doing it "properly" is nice visible dovetailed joints and a sense of satisfaction. And whats the use of that ;-)
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 1, 11:14*am, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

To be honest Simon, that was my first thought.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 1, 2011 11:22:18 AM UTC, Charlie wrote:
[...]

Oh go on, do it "properly" !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 1, 12:56*pm, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the all the advice - finally got the go ahead from SWMBO
and am ready to head off the the builder's merchant.

Can anyone suggest what material I should use?

Plywood for the frame?
Planed timber (pine?) for the shelves?
Sheet timber (pine?) for the cupboard top and doors?

Charlie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ehttp://wiki.d....

[...]

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the useful advice they gave me.
I am usually quite back a posting back with feedback once I've
finished a job but thought I drop a quick photo of the finished
article.

http://i41.tinypic.com/ok7wbb.jpg

Just need to make some 11" skirting boarding now....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 10:10:43 -0800 (PST), Charlie
wrote:

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the useful advice they gave me.
I am usually quite back a posting back with feedback once I've
finished a job but thought I drop a quick photo of the finished
article.

http://i41.tinypic.com/ok7wbb.jpg

Just need to make some 11" skirting boarding now....

Jolly nice too - though you might want to lop .jpg off that link in
order to get it to work!

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...http://wiki..d...

[...]

Nice. If you took pcitures as you went along, you could put them on
the wiki with instructions.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2011 18:10, Charlie wrote:

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the useful advice they gave me.
I am usually quite back a posting back with feedback once I've
finished a job but thought I drop a quick photo of the finished
article.

http://i41.tinypic.com/ok7wbb.jpg

Just need to make some 11" skirting boarding now....

Nice job, well done!

--
Cheers,

John.

Kitchen cupboards Raven Woodworking 7 September 7th 07 06:02 PM
restoring cupboards [email protected] Woodworking 3 January 23rd 06 10:34 PM
How to properly make a RG6 connector? miamicuse Home Repair 9 November 12th 05 11:41 PM
Wall Cupboards Leveled UK diy 1 October 5th 05 05:01 PM
fitting cupboards frank spencer UK diy 2 February 9th 05 01:14 PM