Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiring an outside light

I get how to come off a socket to a switch to power an outside light.

But if that's not convenient and I can tap into the cable that makes up
the ring main is it possible to take power to a light without adding
another socket?

Hopefully that makes sense.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2011 23:10, Owain wrote:
On Oct 22, 10:38 pm, R D wrote:
I get how to come off a socket to a switch to power an outside light.

Hopefully through a fused connection unit.

But if that's not convenient and I can tap into the cable that makes up
the ring main is it possible to take power to a light without adding
another socket?

You would use a junction box and take 2.5mm cable to a fused
connection unit (FCU), thereat fusing down to 3A and on to the light.

You don't even need the JB necessarily. Just use the FCU to rejoin the
cut ring...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 22, 10:38 pm, R D wrote:
I get how to come off a socket to a switch to power an outside light.

Hopefully through a fused connection unit.

But if that's not convenient and I can tap into the cable that makes up
the ring main is it possible to take power to a light without adding
another socket?

You would use a junction box and take 2.5mm cable to a fused
connection unit (FCU), thereat fusing down to 3A and on to the light.

You don't even need the JB necessarily. Just use the FCU to rejoin the
cut ring...

Right, that's simple enough.

The cable I was going to tap into isn't actually on the ring but is a
spur going to a socket.

Can I still use it? It isn't a massive issue, if I can't i'll simply put
the FCU nearer an existing socket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 22, 10:38 pm, R D wrote:
I get how to come off a socket to a switch to power an outside light.

Hopefully through a fused connection unit.

But if that's not convenient and I can tap into the cable that makes up
the ring main is it possible to take power to a light without adding
another socket?

You would use a junction box and take 2.5mm cable to a fused
connection unit (FCU), thereat fusing down to 3A and on to the light.

You don't even need the JB necessarily. Just use the FCU to rejoin the
cut ring...

Right, that's simple enough.

The cable I was going to tap into isn't actually on the ring but is a
spur going to a socket.

Can I still use it? It isn't a massive issue, if I can't i'll simply put
the FCU nearer an existing socket.

The "correct" answer is no, in the sense that an unfused spur is allowed
to feed only one socket (single or double). The proper way to do it
would probably be to convert the spur into a fused spur with 13A fuse.
Then depending on the requirements for the light, you may be able to use
that directly to feed light and socket, or you may need an additional
FCU to fuse down to 3A for the light.

The reality is that you are unlikely to have any problem if you simply
add a 3A FCU and use that. However you will need to make an assessment
of the prudence of that choice. If its a lightly loaded socket, and you
are adding a 60W porch light, then no problem. If its a heavily loaded
kitchen socket and you want a 500W halogen flood, then its a different
story.

--
Cheers,

John.

wiring outside light Martin Carroll UK diy 1 February 4th 09 03:05 PM
wiring up to outside light Burlington Bertie UK diy 7 March 5th 07 09:17 AM
Light wiring OK? Gonzo UK diy 2 August 15th 06 07:45 AM
light wiring MP UK diy 0 January 23rd 05 11:12 AM
light wiring Nigel UK diy 15 May 17th 04 08:53 PM