Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shop front - toughened / laminated / shutters

I want to get rid of the unsightly grey shutters from the front of our
shop. (Though i'd probably keep one over the door)

We are on a busy high street with flats over the shops so i'm not so
bothered from a burglary point of view but sadly the town has a high
proportion of mindless knobheads.

I'm thinking that toughened glass won't be brilliant security wise, is
laminated glass a lot tougher?

Any opinions on either appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/11 17:03, R D S wrote:

I'm thinking that toughened glass won't be brilliant security wise, is
laminated glass a lot tougher?

Any opinions on either appreciated.

And with regard to 6.4mm laminated glass, is there a real advantage to
double glazing from a heat loss perspective?
And what's it like for condensation?

Ta,
Rick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2011 17:08, R D S wrote:
On 21/10/11 17:03, R D S wrote:

I'm thinking that toughened glass won't be brilliant security wise, is
laminated glass a lot tougher?

Any opinions on either appreciated.

And with regard to 6.4mm laminated glass, is there a real advantage to
double glazing from a heat loss perspective?
And what's it like for condensation?

Ta,
Rick

Toughened will shatter into granules when broken giving easy access to
anything inside. Laminated will initially shatter but be held together
by the plastic layed between the sheets of glass. A determind attack
will still get through. The thickness required will depend on the size
of the window - for a shop window I would suspect that 6.4 will be too
thin. If you quote a size to a glazier they should be able to give you
an estimate of thickness and cost

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/11 17:28, Malcolm wrote:
On 21/10/2011 17:08, R D S wrote:
On 21/10/11 17:03, R D S wrote:

I'm thinking that toughened glass won't be brilliant security wise, is
laminated glass a lot tougher?

Any opinions on either appreciated.

And with regard to 6.4mm laminated glass, is there a real advantage to
double glazing from a heat loss perspective?
And what's it like for condensation?

Ta,
Rick

Toughened will shatter into granules when broken giving easy access to
anything inside. Laminated will initially shatter but be held together
by the plastic layed between the sheets of glass. A determind attack
will still get through. The thickness required will depend on the size
of the window - for a shop window I would suspect that 6.4 will be too
thin. If you quote a size to a glazier they should be able to give you
an estimate of thickness and cost

Malcolm

It's a wooden frame with 1400 x 600mm panes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 21, 5:03*pm, R D S wrote:
I want to get rid of the unsightly grey shutters from the front of our
shop. (Though i'd probably keep one over the door)

We are on a busy high street with flats over the shops so i'm not so
bothered from a burglary point of view but sadly the town has a high
proportion of mindless knobheads.

I'm thinking that toughened glass won't be brilliant security wise, is
laminated glass a lot tougher?

Any opinions on either appreciated.

Or polycarbonate? Unbreakable but can be bent and "sprung" out of the
rebates if they are too small.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2011 17:08, R D S wrote:
On 21/10/11 17:03, R D S wrote:

I'm thinking that toughened glass won't be brilliant security wise, is
laminated glass a lot tougher?

Any opinions on either appreciated.

And with regard to 6.4mm laminated glass, is there a real advantage to
double glazing from a heat loss perspective?
And what's it like for condensation?

Annealed and heat strengthened glass is about twice as strong as plain
annealed glass. It will tend to stay in large pieces when broken, but
they can usually be pushed out of the frame with further force.

Tempered glass is about four times as strong as plain glass, but will
break up into tiny pieces and fall out of the frame when broken.

Because the plastic core spreads loads to some extent, laminated glass
is around half as strong to twice as strong again as plain glass,
depending upon aspect ratio, but it is very difficult to force out of
the frame, even when broken. Of course, 20mm laminated glass will be a
lot stronger than 6.4mm glass.

Any of them can be specified for double glazing, so you could have
tempered glass on the outside, for maximum strength, and laminated glass
on the inside, for best security.

I would replace the shutters with an attractive design of retractable
grille.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2011 19:33, harry wrote:
On Oct 21, 5:03 pm, R D wrote:
I want to get rid of the unsightly grey shutters from the front of our
shop. (Though i'd probably keep one over the door)

We are on a busy high street with flats over the shops so i'm not so
bothered from a burglary point of view but sadly the town has a high
proportion of mindless knobheads.

I'm thinking that toughened glass won't be brilliant security wise, is
laminated glass a lot tougher?

Any opinions on either appreciated.

Or polycarbonate? Unbreakable but can be bent and "sprung" out of the
rebates if they are too small.

Also prone to scratching and can be locally melted with a lighter.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2011 17:03, R D S wrote:
I want to get rid of the unsightly grey shutters from the front of our
shop. (Though i'd probably keep one over the door)

We are on a busy high street with flats over the shops so i'm not so
bothered from a burglary point of view but sadly the town has a high
proportion of mindless knobheads.

I'm thinking that toughened glass won't be brilliant security wise, is
laminated glass a lot tougher?

Any opinions on either appreciated.

Yep.
Check out your commercial insurance requirements before you rip them
out. May give a hefty premium rise or they might refuse to insure
altogether.

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2011 19:56, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 21/10/2011 17:03, R D S wrote:
I want to get rid of the unsightly grey shutters from the front of our
shop. (Though i'd probably keep one over the door)

Yep.
Check out your commercial insurance requirements before you rip them
out. May give a hefty premium rise or they might refuse to insure
altogether.

Very good point. I'll look at that first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 17:03:05 +0100, R D S wrote:

I want to get rid of the unsightly grey shutters from the front of our
shop. (Though i'd probably keep one over the door)

We are on a busy high street with flats over the shops so i'm not so
bothered from a burglary point of view but sadly the town has a high
proportion of mindless knobheads.

I'm thinking that toughened glass won't be brilliant security wise, is
laminated glass a lot tougher?

Any opinions on either appreciated.

Why not keep the shutters and get some 'public' art painted on them?

Maybe a recreation of what is in the shop, or green fields and a blue
sky, or a still life.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 21, 5:03*pm, R D S wrote:
I want to get rid of the unsightly grey shutters from the front of our
shop. (Though i'd probably keep one over the door)

We are on a busy high street with flats over the shops so i'm not so
bothered from a burglary point of view but sadly the town has a high
proportion of mindless knobheads.

I'm thinking that toughened glass won't be brilliant security wise, is
laminated glass a lot tougher?

Any opinions on either appreciated.

Lam is much weaker than toughened.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message

Lam is much weaker than toughened.

My shed has a toughened and laminated window.. it was a security upgrade
option when I bought it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

The thing is, the local Asian chappie told me once he prefers shutters cos
at night they can spray them with paint and it is just rolled up and
hidden in the day time.

Brian

There's a chemists shop on Rose Hill, Sutton/Mitcham (S London to you
foreigners) or thereabouts that had a mural painted on their shutters (pre-
graffitied if you will). In the years that I passed by, none of the chavs
touched it.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2011 20:20, The Other Mike wrote:
On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 17:03:05 +0100, R D wrote:

I want to get rid of the unsightly grey shutters from the front of our
shop. (Though i'd probably keep one over the door)

We are on a busy high street with flats over the shops so i'm not so
bothered from a burglary point of view but sadly the town has a high
proportion of mindless knobheads.

I'm thinking that toughened glass won't be brilliant security wise, is
laminated glass a lot tougher?

Any opinions on either appreciated.

Why not keep the shutters and get some 'public' art painted on them?

Maybe a recreation of what is in the shop, or green fields and a blue
sky, or a still life.

I thought about that but wouldn't know where to start asking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 21, 5:03*pm, R D S wrote:
I want to get rid of the unsightly grey shutters from the front of our
shop. (Though i'd probably keep one over the door)

Steel rollers and paint them for when you're closed. Steel bends when
hit really hard, rather than shattering. You can't afford laminated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S :
On 21/10/2011 20:20, The Other Mike wrote:

Why not keep the shutters and get some 'public' art painted on them?

Maybe a recreation of what is in the shop, or green fields and a blue
sky, or a still life.

I thought about that but wouldn't know where to start asking.

Write an ad on your unsightly grey shutter?

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 22:50:54 +0100, R D S wrote:

On 21/10/2011 20:20, The Other Mike wrote:
On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 17:03:05 +0100, R D wrote:

I want to get rid of the unsightly grey shutters from the front of our
shop. (Though i'd probably keep one over the door)

We are on a busy high street with flats over the shops so i'm not so
bothered from a burglary point of view but sadly the town has a high
proportion of mindless knobheads.

I'm thinking that toughened glass won't be brilliant security wise, is
laminated glass a lot tougher?

Any opinions on either appreciated.

Why not keep the shutters and get some 'public' art painted on them?

Maybe a recreation of what is in the shop, or green fields and a blue
sky, or a still life.

I thought about that but wouldn't know where to start asking.

Art college? Graffiti artists that can do more than tagging?

Maybe if there are others shops, get the whole street involved and
approach a local newspaper?