Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mystery

Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design a loo
seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim Hawkins" wrote in message
m...
Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design a loo
seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

Jim Hawkins

Tighten your nuts?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim Hawkins
writes
Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design a loo
seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

Jim Hawkins

I have found that using the ones with a bar between the two hinges makes
a big difference.

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 20:08:09 +0100, Bill wrote:

I have found that using the ones with a bar between the two hinges makes
a big difference.

Is there any other sort? Maybe that is why I was wondering what
problem the OP is complaining about.

Being in the market for a new bathroom suite checking the loo seat
hinges wasn't on the list, it is now. If the seat doesn't fit the pan
very well there can be huge stresses placed on the hinges not just
from sitting but the leaning when reaching for the paper and when
wiping your bum.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 20, 9:55*am, Tim Streater wrote:
In article o.uk,
*"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 20:08:09 +0100, Bill wrote:

I have found that using the ones with a bar between the two hinges makes
a big difference.

Is there any other sort? Maybe that is why I was wondering what
problem the OP is complaining about.

Being in the market for a new bathroom suite checking the loo seat
hinges wasn't on the list, it is now. If the seat doesn't fit the pan
very well there can be huge stresses placed on the hinges not just
from sitting but the leaning when reaching for the paper and when
wiping your bum.

The problem IME is that the long brass screws at the back of the seat
that go through the holes in the porcelain are much narrower than the
holes. So you have to do the gubbins underneath up very tight to prevent
the screws "shearing" sideways and the seat moving. I tried to find
plastic tubing once to pad out the screw width so they couldn't move,
but to no avail.

Mine have always had conical nuts that centre the screw and stop it
moving about.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

[...]

Ones that are designed for the exact porcelain do. Other ones are
adjustable, both in installation and accidentally in use.

The fix as I said is to make them non adjustable and filling the
oversized holes in the porcelain with silicone is a good way to do it.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have found that using the ones with a bar between the two hinges makes
a big difference.

A bit OTT perhaps but I can see how it would make life much more
civilised, and not too far to pipe the Stella.

Derek G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 19:04:49 +0100, Jim Hawkins wrote:

Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design a
loo seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

I always assumed they were supposed to have a bit of play in them, so the
hinges don't get so stressed as people reach over for the bog paper etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim Hawkins
writes
Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design a loo
seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

A further mystery is why lady toilet users always stand an unfixed
toilet roll on the cistern top.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2011 20:53, Tim Lamb wrote:
A further mystery is why lady toilet users always stand an unfixed
toilet roll on the cistern top.

That is so it is in clear and obvious view of male users, in the hope
we'll do something about it.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Jim
Hawkins writes
Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design
a loo seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

A further mystery is why lady toilet users always stand an unfixed
toilet roll on the cistern top.

regards

If they are anything like my other half, her reason is that the cupboard
space that I made in the bathroom for her to store such things is *FULL* -
and that's the only place she could put the last bog roll left out of the
pack of twelve that she's just bought. That cupboard (built to hide the
soil pipe stretching across the bathroom wall) is big enough to hold a damn
site more than twelve rolls - but she insists on 'hiding' everything else in
there as well sigh!

But after 45 years, I suppose I've just got used to her ways... LOL

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Jim
Hawkins writes
Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design
a loo seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

A further mystery is why lady toilet users always stand an unfixed
toilet roll on the cistern top.

regards

If they are anything like my other half, her reason is that the cupboard
space that I made in the bathroom for her to store such things is *FULL* -
and that's the only place she could put the last bog roll left out of the
pack of twelve that she's just bought. That cupboard (built to hide the
soil pipe stretching across the bathroom wall) is big enough to hold a damn
site more than twelve rolls - but she insists on 'hiding' everything else in
there as well sigh!

But after 45 years, I suppose I've just got used to her ways... LOL

Female acquisition will expand to fill every available store and every
horizontal surface.

That's why they are called 'birds'

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Cash wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Jim
Hawkins writes
[...]

If I called my wife a 'bird' (especially and old bird) I'd end up losing a
rather delicate part of my anatomy that's for sure!!

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:54:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Female acquisition will expand to fill every available store and every
horizontal surface.

*Very* true. I wouldn't mind so much if it was useful stuff rather
than just piles of books that don't have shelf space 'cause the 50'
plus of bookshelves are already full or unfinished knitting projects
or simply stuff that hasn't been put away.

I get moaned at if I leave a screwdriver out for more than 5 minuets
whilst I have a cuppa... She has sort of accepted that my stock of
"useful bits of wood" do serve a purpose when I need a bit of wood
for something she wants made/doing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2011 09:25, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:54:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Female acquisition will expand to fill every available store and every
horizontal surface.

*Very* true. I wouldn't mind so much if it was useful stuff rather
than just piles of books that don't have shelf space 'cause the 50'
plus of bookshelves are already full or unfinished knitting projects
or simply stuff that hasn't been put away.

I get moaned at if I leave a screwdriver out for more than 5 minuets
whilst I have a cuppa... She has sort of accepted that my stock of
"useful bits of wood" do serve a purpose when I need a bit of wood
for something she wants made/doing.

Vases do furnish a room, fill horizontal surfaces efficiently, and
appear from nowhere when a space becomes vacant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/20/2011 4:25 AM, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:54:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Female acquisition will expand to fill every available store and every
horizontal surface.

*Very* true. I wouldn't mind so much if it was useful stuff rather
than just piles of books that don't have shelf space 'cause the 50'
plus of bookshelves are already full or unfinished knitting projects
or simply stuff that hasn't been put away.

Is your wife my long-lost twin sister?

I get moaned at if I leave a screwdriver out for more than 5 minuets
whilst I have a cuppa... She has sort of accepted that my stock of
"useful bits of wood" do serve a purpose when I need a bit of wood
for something she wants made/doing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2011 09:25, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:54:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Female acquisition will expand to fill every available store and every
horizontal surface.

*Very* true. I wouldn't mind so much if it was useful stuff rather
than just piles of books that don't have shelf space 'cause the 50'
plus of bookshelves are already full or unfinished knitting projects
or simply stuff that hasn't been put away.

I get moaned at if I leave a screwdriver out for more than 5 minuets
whilst I have a cuppa... She has sort of accepted that my stock of
"useful bits of wood" do serve a purpose when I need a bit of wood
for something she wants made/doing.

Your're lucky, even when I have pointed out that I had done somethig
'free' because I had the wood in stock, I am usuall not congratulated on
having it in stock so that I could do the job quickly.

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2011 9:25 p.m., Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:54:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Female acquisition will expand to fill every available store and every
horizontal surface.

*Very* true. I wouldn't mind so much if it was useful stuff rather
than just piles of books that don't have shelf space 'cause the 50'
plus of bookshelves are already full or unfinished knitting projects
or simply stuff that hasn't been put away.

I get moaned at if I leave a screwdriver out for more than 5 minuets
whilst I have a cuppa... She has sort of accepted that my stock of
"useful bits of wood" do serve a purpose when I need a bit of wood
for something she wants made/doing.

The problem I'm facing (nothing to do with SWMBO) is how big does a
piece of wood have to be to be considered useful? For example, should I
keep that 1/2 metre piece of 4x2? It has only a few nail holes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2011 20:53, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Jim Hawkins
writes
Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design a loo
seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

A further mystery is why lady toilet users always stand an unfixed
toilet roll on the cistern top.

It's easier to make the oven mitt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 23:17:45 +0100, Maria wrote:
A further mystery is why lady toilet users always stand an unfixed
toilet roll on the cistern top.

It's easier to make the oven mitt.

Yes, but who the heck wipes their bum with one of those?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote:
Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design a loo
seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

because of one size fits all. Remove the seat and refit using gobs of
silicone around the studs.

Alternatively dont play with yourself on the bog.

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:34:32 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Jim Hawkins wrote:
Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design a loo
seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

because of one size fits all.

i.e. "One size fits none"
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2011 19:04, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design a loo
seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

Jim Hawkins

And why must women have the loo roll so that the paper comes down at the
back rather than on the side nearest to the "user"? I put the loo roll
in the sensible way around and my wife turns it around!

(... or do I just associate with strange women?)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2011 11:20 a.m., NoSpam wrote:
On 19/10/2011 19:04, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design a loo
seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

Jim Hawkins

And why must women have the loo roll so that the paper comes down at the
back rather than on the side nearest to the "user"? I put the loo roll
in the sensible way around and my wife turns it around!

(... or do I just associate with strange women?)

Ah! That annoys me too! It's because men (in general) put function
before form, while with women it's the other way around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Gib Bogle
writes
On 20/10/2011 11:20 a.m., NoSpam wrote:
On 19/10/2011 19:04, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design a loo
seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

Jim Hawkins

And why must women have the loo roll so that the paper comes down at the
back rather than on the side nearest to the "user"? I put the loo roll
in the sensible way around and my wife turns it around!

(... or do I just associate with strange women?)

Ah! That annoys me too! It's because men (in general) put function
before form, while with women it's the other way around.

Nicely put:-)

I should have explained that there is no convenient place for a wall
mounted toilet roll holder. The cistern is mounted on a narrow stretch
of wall close to a rarely used bath. For convenience, I stand the roll
on the edge of the bath along with whatever book I happen to be reading.

Women should be translated as Daughters: my wife has her own bathroom.

I guess toilet paper is used for other than the usual purpose. A test
might be to find some of the hard, non absorbent type of my childhood.
Izal?

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:01:35 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:
And why must women have the loo roll so that the paper comes down at
the back rather than on the side nearest to the "user"? I put the loo
roll in the sensible way around and my wife turns it around!

(... or do I just associate with strange women?)

Ah! That annoys me too! It's because men (in general) put function
before form, while with women it's the other way around.

Me too. But why is having the end of the roll at the back better form?
It's still bog paper either way - it's just less convenient to reach the
end if it's round the back.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2011 1:42 a.m., Jules Richardson wrote:
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:01:35 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:
And why must women have the loo roll so that the paper comes down at
the back rather than on the side nearest to the "user"? I put the loo
roll in the sensible way around and my wife turns it around!

(... or do I just associate with strange women?)

Ah! That annoys me too! It's because men (in general) put function
before form, while with women it's the other way around.

Me too. But why is having the end of the roll at the back better form?

They think it's neater.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 20 Oct,
Jules Richardson wrote:

Me too. But why is having the end of the roll at the back better form?
It's still bog paper either way - it's just less convenient to reach the
end if it's round the back.

And the kids manage to smear the wipings on the wall easier when it is nearer
the wall.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:04:53 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
Jules Richardson wrote:

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:01:35 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:
And why must women have the loo roll so that the paper comes down at
the back rather than on the side nearest to the "user"? I put the
loo roll in the sensible way around and my wife turns it around!

(... or do I just associate with strange women?)

Ah! That annoys me too! It's because men (in general) put function
before form, while with women it's the other way around.

Me too. But why is having the end of the roll at the back better form?
It's still bog paper either way - it's just less convenient to reach
the end if it's round the back.

Because if it's at the front, pulling it makes the roll come forwards
slightly, thus making it easier to unroll. If it's at the back the
reverse happens, and the roll tends then to jam against the wall or back
of the fixture.

Right... so all these people who put it at the back do so because when
it's at the front they get so surprised by the unexpected lack of
friction that they fall off the seat? ;-)

(although I do remember one of our dogs once unspooling the entire roll
and then dragging it at high speed through the house, so maybe there is a
case for putting it at the back)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:
(although I do remember one of our dogs once unspooling the entire roll
and then dragging it at high speed through the house, so maybe there is a
case for putting it at the back)

He is the AndrexPuppyAICMFRolls of paper.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2011 19:04, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design a loo
seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

Jim Hawkins

Wooden seats with a single back section rather than two individual
hinges don't seem to move around.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why not easily removable for a good wash. Washing the top is easy - but the
underside is harder due to the moulding and the buffers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2011 23:39, DerbyBoy wrote:

Why not easily removable for a good wash. Washing the top is easy - but
the underside is harder due to the moulding and the buffers.

As it happens, the one that we have has a metal bracket that spans the
two holes in the toilet and a hollow back section that fits over it and
fastens down with a single screw with a push in cover. Pop the cover off
and undo the screw from the top and you can remove the entire seat,
allowing cleaning of both the seat and under the hinge section. We got
it from one of the sheds, but I can't remember which one.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2011 19:04, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design a loo
seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

FYI, the world of loo seats in French owned Etap and Formule1 Hotels is
that they just don't have any! That is, of the liftable sort.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/IMG_4057.jpg

To be nice, uz blokes have to aim straight.

BTW, the loo in Formule1 is not 'en suite' to your room, it's shared..

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 23:48:08 +0100, Adrian C
wrote:

On 19/10/2011 19:04, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design a loo
seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

FYI, the world of loo seats in French owned Etap and Formule1 Hotels is
that they just don't have any! That is, of the liftable sort.

Any one remember the ancient type of public loo where instead of a
seat you had wooden rollers at side and ISTR the back. Think it was to
stop wierdos standing on them and peering over into the next cubicle.
While on the subject a mate of mind worked in the BMW factory in
Bavaria in the mid seventies. They had such a problem with loo seats
being broken by Gasterbeiter from Turkey. Used to using squat type
toilets they used to stand on the seats and try and use them as such
which as well as breaking the seats frequently made them a mess.
My mate remembers as he was employed as a labourer ,odd job person and
frequently was told to go and clean them.He preferred being sent
outside to nail wood chocks on rail wagons for car transport even
though it was Winter with temps in the -15 range.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2011 7:04 a.m., Jim Hawkins wrote:
Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design a loo
seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

Jim Hawkins

I don't think sanitary engineers are involved in the design of loo seats.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote:

Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design a loo
seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

Well, they have, but only appear to fit them to "accessible"
toilets.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Jim Hawkins wrote:

Why is it beyond the wit of sanitary engineers world-wide to design a loo
seat that doesn't slip and slide around ?

Well, they have, but only appear to fit them to "accessible"
toilets.

That's because they are the only ones they can reach :-)

Chris

Here's another mystery. The Post Quartermaster Home Repair 16 July 7th 10 11:17 PM
Well Mystery [email protected] Home Repair 18 November 28th 06 03:55 AM
Well Mystery [email protected] Home Ownership 18 November 28th 06 03:55 AM
Tap mystery Paul Andrews UK diy 10 May 24th 06 10:01 AM
Name That Mystery Box Harry Home Repair 3 July 25th 05 05:52 AM