Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Post-it notes

This morning I was due at work for 8am.

I arrived at 7.45 and pulled up outside the customers house. I then made a
phone call. Whilst I was on the phone the customer came out of the house and
circled the van like a vulture and kept giving me odd looks through the
window.

She then went back into the house and reapperared 2 minutes later. This time
she knocked on the van window, I wound it down and she passed me a post it
note that said "When you have finished your phone call can I talk to you"

Is it me or has the world gone mad?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

This morning I was due at work for 8am.

I arrived at 7.45 and pulled up outside the customers house. I then made a
phone call. Whilst I was on the phone the customer came out of the house
and circled the van like a vulture and kept giving me odd looks through
the window.

She then went back into the house and reapperared 2 minutes later. This
time she knocked on the van window, I wound it down and she passed me a
post it note that said "When you have finished your phone call can I talk
to you"

Is it me or has the world gone mad?

More importantly, did she have nice bristols?

Seriously - I'm happy if someone turns up +/- 30 minutes of the said time
(for an all day job) and I usually offer coffee imediately. A caffinated
bloke is a happy bloke

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

This morning I was due at work for 8am.

I arrived at 7.45 and pulled up outside the customers house. I then
made a phone call. Whilst I was on the phone the customer came out
of the house and circled the van like a vulture and kept giving me
odd looks through the window.

She then went back into the house and reapperared 2 minutes later.
This time she knocked on the van window, I wound it down and she
passed me a post it note that said "When you have finished your
phone call can I talk to you"

Is it me or has the world gone mad?

More importantly, did she have nice bristols?

Witches tits and no arse. Not even blow job lips. She had nothing going for
her.

Seriously - I'm happy if someone turns up +/- 30 minutes of the said
time (for an all day job) and I usually offer coffee imediately. A
caffinated bloke is a happy bloke

You know how to get a job done:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

This morning I was due at work for 8am.

I arrived at 7.45 and pulled up outside the customers house. I then
made a phone call. Whilst I was on the phone the customer came out
of the house and circled the van like a vulture and kept giving me
odd looks through the window.

She then went back into the house and reapperared 2 minutes later.
This time she knocked on the van window, I wound it down and she
passed me a post it note that said "When you have finished your
phone call can I talk to you"

Is it me or has the world gone mad?

More importantly, did she have nice bristols?

Seriously - I'm happy if someone turns up +/- 30 minutes of the said
time (for an all day job) and I usually offer coffee imediately. A
caffinated bloke is a happy bloke

What! You don't offer him the choice of coffee *OR* tea - along with a
selection of biccies? Tightwad! ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth
writes
This morning I was due at work for 8am.

I arrived at 7.45 and pulled up outside the customers house. I then made a
phone call. Whilst I was on the phone the customer came out of the house and
circled the van like a vulture and kept giving me odd looks through the
window.

She then went back into the house and reapperared 2 minutes later. This time
she knocked on the van window, I wound it down and she passed me a post it
note that said "When you have finished your phone call can I talk to you"

She is paying you so you are her bitch.

Whilst this can be fine as part of a role play, it is rarely a sound
basis for a business relationship.

Was the Post-it note what you wrote, "Bye, I do not work for control
freak cnuts" on before sticking it on her door?

Is it me or has the world gone mad?

Thank the lord that you don't read the daily mail.
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/18/2011 5:25 PM, Ormolu wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

This morning I was due at work for 8am.

I arrived at 7.45 and pulled up outside the customers house. I then
made a phone call. Whilst I was on the phone the customer came out
of the house and circled the van like a vulture and kept giving me
odd looks through the window.

She then went back into the house and reapperared 2 minutes later.
This time she knocked on the van window, I wound it down and she
passed me a post it note that said "When you have finished your
phone call can I talk to you"

Is it me or has the world gone mad?

More importantly, did she have nice bristols?

Seriously - I'm happy if someone turns up +/- 30 minutes of the said
time (for an all day job) and I usually offer coffee imediately. A
caffinated bloke is a happy bloke

What! You don't offer him the choice of coffee *OR* tea - along with a
selection of biccies? Tightwad! ;-)

Indeed.
I offer a choice of tea or coffee (real coffee, not instant), and a
selection of homebaked treats.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

You should have returned the `post it` with the message `if before 8.00 am
then yes at £40 per hour`

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2011 22:05, ARWadsworth wrote:
This morning I was due at work for 8am.

I arrived at 7.45 and pulled up outside the customers house. I then made a
phone call. Whilst I was on the phone the customer came out of the house and
circled the van like a vulture and kept giving me odd looks through the
window.

She then went back into the house and reapperared 2 minutes later. This time
she knocked on the van window, I wound it down and she passed me a post it
note that said "When you have finished your phone call can I talk to you"

Is it me or has the world gone mad?

Probably both ;-)

Did you write "yes" on the note and hand it back? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ormolu wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

This morning I was due at work for 8am.

I arrived at 7.45 and pulled up outside the customers house. I then
made a phone call. Whilst I was on the phone the customer came out
of the house and circled the van like a vulture and kept giving me
odd looks through the window.

She then went back into the house and reapperared 2 minutes later.
This time she knocked on the van window, I wound it down and she
passed me a post it note that said "When you have finished your
phone call can I talk to you"

Is it me or has the world gone mad?

More importantly, did she have nice bristols?

Seriously - I'm happy if someone turns up +/- 30 minutes of the said
time (for an all day job) and I usually offer coffee imediately. A
caffinated bloke is a happy bloke

What! You don't offer him the choice of coffee *OR* tea - along with a
selection of biccies? Tightwad! ;-)

Sometimes biccies, if I remembered (we don't have them by default because
we're lumpy enough as it is). As for tea, it is the strainings of the
devil's underpants, so I tend not to have it available. I only like the
various chinese green teas and most british blokes don't.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

Fancy pants! ;-

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
This morning I was due at work for 8am.

I arrived at 7.45 and pulled up outside the customers house. I then made
a phone call. Whilst I was on the phone the customer came out of the
house and circled the van like a vulture and kept giving me odd looks
through the window.

She then went back into the house and reapperared 2 minutes later. This
time she knocked on the van window, I wound it down and she passed me a
post it note that said "When you have finished your phone call can I
talk to you"

Is it me or has the world gone mad?

Probably worried that talking to you before your start time would be an
'extra'. Notes don't count as you can ignore them. ;-)

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

eOn Tue, 18 Oct 2011 17:56:35 -0400, S Viemeister

Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

Likewise. The building guy and his apprentice doing my front garden
wall seemed to prefer 'instant' "coffee" so I had to buy a jar of some
sort of "granules" to keep them happy (four or five rounds a day) to
go with my fabled home-molished cheese scones.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2011 23:16, Tim Watts wrote:
Ormolu wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

That's because we are British dammit! None of this filthy foreign muck :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth :
This morning I was due at work for 8am.

I arrived at 7.45 and pulled up outside the customers house. I then made a
phone call. Whilst I was on the phone the customer came out of the house and
circled the van like a vulture and kept giving me odd looks through the
window.

She then went back into the house and reapperared 2 minutes later. This time
she knocked on the van window, I wound it down and she passed me a post it
note that said "When you have finished your phone call can I talk to you"

Is it me or has the world gone mad?

One incidence of apparent weirdness doesn't make a world gone mad. And I
could imagine circumstances where this would count as rational
behaviour.

Is there something we're not being told? Was there a reason she didn't
just stand and wait? What did she have to say?

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ormolu wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

errr Dave, *all* tea is foreign... We're just the weirdos who though putting
cowjuice in it was a good idea.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
This morning I was due at work for 8am.

I arrived at 7.45 and pulled up outside the customers house. I then made a
phone call. Whilst I was on the phone the customer came out of the house
and circled the van like a vulture and kept giving me odd looks through
the window.

She then went back into the house and reapperared 2 minutes later. This
time she knocked on the van window, I wound it down and she passed me a
post it note that said "When you have finished your phone call can I talk
to you"

Is it me or has the world gone mad?

She was desperate to speak to you immediately - some people are like this
and just can't wait for a couple of minutes.
She wanted an instant result.
However she was aware that it was impolite to interrupt a telephone
conversation and also to just stand there as if she was listening in.
So loads of displacement activity followed by a solution - pass you a note
so your call is not interrupted, she doesn't have to stand there outside
waiting, but no delay in you knowing exactly what she wants.
Problem solved to her complete satisfaction.

Was it anything urgent?
Presumably she explained what she wanted once you made you 08:00 a.m.
appointment.
Unless of course she had already left because of an emergency?

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/19/2011 09:40 AM, Mike Barnes wrote:

One incidence of apparent weirdness doesn't make a world gone mad. And I
could imagine circumstances where this would count as rational
behaviour.

Is there something we're not being told? Was there a reason she didn't
just stand and wait? What did she have to say?

I'm puzzled too. If I was making a call at *any* time and someone came
up and hovered around, I would ask the person on the phone to hold on
for a moment whilst I enquired what the problem was. To ignore someone
in such circumstances, I think could be interpreted as being rude.

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 02:36:21 -0700, Owain wrote:

On Oct 19, 9:57Â*am, Tim Watts wrote:
That's because we are British dammit! None of this filthy foreign
muck :-)

errr Dave, *all* tea is foreign...

I thought it came from Yorkshire :-)

No, that's whippets, cloth caps, ferrets and Pontefract cakes (all of
which happen to be ingredients in tea)

I have had a few funny looks over here asking for milk with tea (I can't
really get PG Tips or Tetley's over here, but the Liptons floor sweepings
are reasonably close)

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 22:05:55 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:
She then went back into the house and reapperared 2 minutes later. This
time she knocked on the van window, I wound it down and she passed me a
post it note that said "When you have finished your phone call can I
talk to you"

You need your own note saying, "Hang on, I'm talking to my therapist"
:-)

Extra points for sticking it on your forehead before turning to look at
her.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"David WE Roberts" wrote:

She was desperate to speak to you immediately - some people are like this
and just can't wait for a couple of minutes.
She wanted an instant result.
However she was aware that it was impolite to interrupt a telephone
conversation and also to just stand there as if she was listening in.
So loads of displacement activity followed by a solution - pass you a note
so your call is not interrupted, she doesn't have to stand there outside
waiting, but no delay in you knowing exactly what she wants.
Problem solved to her complete satisfaction.

My thoughts exactly, on reading Adam's tale!

Adam: you're probably a hefty bloke, and you probably live in a world
where most people are very assertive. I think David's analysis above
describes a few people that I know, who are not as assertive as some.

Cue: Adam telling us what a pushy bitch she has been in bossing the job

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:57:16 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

errr Dave, *all* tea is foreign... We're just the weirdos who though
putting
cowjuice in it was a good idea.

The plants might have been imported, but not necessarily foreign as in
"grown abroad":

http://tregothnan.co.uk/

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ormolu wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

I knew that! Its these weirdo green/Earl Grey/herbal/fruit teas that
are foreign muck!

Good old British builders tea (no sugar ta) is what we want!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ormolu wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

I heard of a building site in Germany where the Brits amazed the locals
by maintaining a huge vat of boiling water with 200 tea bags floating in
it. By late afternoon it was a little on the strong side
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman writes:

On 19/10/2011 09:57, Tim Watts wrote:
errr Dave, *all* tea is foreign... We're just the weirdos who though putting
cowjuice in it was a good idea.

I knew that! Its these weirdo green/Earl Grey/herbal/fruit
teas that are foreign muck!

If the second Earl Grey, prime minister from 1830 to 1834 isnt
British, who is?

Good old British builders tea (no sugar ta) is what we want!

Isnt that used for preserving leather?

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message

I heard of a building site in Germany where the Brits amazed the locals by
maintaining a huge vat of boiling water with 200 tea bags floating in it.
By late afternoon it was a little on the strong side

Tea tastes different if you boil it.
Most brits wouldn't like boiled tea.
The Asian cultures usually boil their tea, sometimes with the milk in, I
hate the taste.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"stuart noble" wrote in message

I heard of a building site in Germany where the Brits amazed the locals
by maintaining a huge vat of boiling water with 200 tea bags floating in
it. By late afternoon it was a little on the strong side

Tea tastes different if you boil it.
Most brits wouldn't like boiled tea.
The Asian cultures usually boil their tea, sometimes with the milk in, I
hate the taste.

I can tell you with some certainty that the Chinese do *not* boil their tea.

They do however use leaves rather that floor sweepings that pass as muck
here and either make it in a pot or a mug with an integral tea-strainer and
leave it for a good 5-10 minutes after adding boiling water.

The beauty of leaves is that you get another couple of cups from the same
leaves but adding fresh boiling water.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"stuart noble" wrote in message

I heard of a building site in Germany where the Brits amazed the locals
by maintaining a huge vat of boiling water with 200 tea bags floating in
it. By late afternoon it was a little on the strong side

Tea tastes different if you boil it.
Most brits wouldn't like boiled tea.
The Asian cultures usually boil their tea, sometimes with the milk in, I
hate the taste.

I can tell you with some certainty that the Chinese do *not* boil their
tea.

That's true.
I like Chinese tea.
I used to be able to get some really nice stuff when we had members of the
Chinese government over for demos.

They do however use leaves rather that floor sweepings that pass as muck
here and either make it in a pot or a mug with an integral tea-strainer
and
leave it for a good 5-10 minutes after adding boiling water.

The beauty of leaves is that you get another couple of cups from the same
leaves but adding fresh boiling water.

The Chinese used to put the leaves in the cup and add more water and tea as
the day went on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Cap wrote:
On 10/19/2011 09:40 AM, Mike Barnes wrote:

One incidence of apparent weirdness doesn't make a world gone mad.
And I could imagine circumstances where this would count as rational
behaviour.

Is there something we're not being told? Was there a reason she
didn't just stand and wait? What did she have to say?

I'm puzzled too. If I was making a call at *any* time and someone came
up and hovered around, I would ask the person on the phone to hold on
for a moment whilst I enquired what the problem was. To ignore someone
in such circumstances, I think could be interpreted as being rude.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I ended up spending an extra night in
London, just got back.

I actually had the window down when she came to the van and I wound it up
when she started hovering around. The phone call was non of her business.

When I did knock on the front door she wanted to check that I was still
going to do the work and discuss what I would be doing!

The woman was not intentionally rude (I thought it was rude but I was not
particulary bothered), maybe it was difference of culture that made her
behave that way. She was a little giddy.

I tend to find that phones bring out the bad manners and rudeness in people
(particulary women).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2011 10:54, Jon Fairbairn wrote:
The Medway writes:

On 19/10/2011 09:57, Tim Watts wrote:
errr Dave, *all* tea is foreign... We're just the weirdos who though putting
cowjuice in it was a good idea.

I knew that! Its these weirdo green/Earl Grey/herbal/fruit
teas that are foreign muck!

If the second Earl Grey, prime minister from 1830 to 1834 isnt
British, who is?

Bergamot! Yuk!

Good old British builders tea (no sugar ta) is what we want!

Isnt that used for preserving leather?

And builders....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2011 20:27, ARWadsworth wrote:
Andy Cap wrote:
[...]

Then stop making those obscene phone calls :-)