Posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.d-i-y

Default winter forecast anyone?

On Oct 12, 8:02*am, Mike McMillan wrote:
Certainly third world, very leaky drafty Queen Victoria building yards from the sea. Have managed to pour some insulation granules into the cavity wall, so should help.

They had cavity walls in Victorian times?
Must discuss...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Oct 12, 8:02 am, Mike McMillan wrote:
Certainly third world, very leaky drafty Queen Victoria building yards
from the sea. Have managed to pour some insulation granules into the
cavity wall, so should help.

They had cavity walls in Victorian times?
Must discuss...

Yes. Used to prevent penetrating damp rather than for their thermal
isolation. I've owned a number of Victorian piles, all with cavity walls.
The current place is Georgian and has solid brick walls up to a metre
thick. There is a small Victorian extension which has cavity walls. The
extension dates to 1863.
Posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Oct 12, 8:02 am, Mike McMillan wrote:
Certainly third world, very leaky drafty Queen Victoria building yards from the sea. Have managed to pour some insulation granules into the cavity wall, so should help.

They had cavity walls in Victorian times?
Must discuss...

It was not unknown, no.

Especially in very wet places where the outer wall could get damp and
not affect the interior.

It has been more or less STANDARD since the 50's.

I cant recall when it became COMPULSORY.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 12, 6:27*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Oct 12, 8:02 am, Mike McMillan wrote:
Certainly third world, very leaky drafty Queen Victoria building yards from the sea. Have managed to pour some insulation granules into the cavity wall, so should help.

They had cavity walls in Victorian times?
Must discuss...

It was not unknown, no.

Especially in very wet places where the outer wall could get damp and
not affect the interior.

It has been more or less STANDARD since the 50's.

I cant recall when it became COMPULSORY.

I recently stumbled upon a collapsed brick and stone structure in Fife
that I guess was Victorian, and had something like a 12" cavity.
There were special bricks for tying the two leaves together.

Another story I heard many years ago was an old house near Newcastle
that had a cavity wall that was filled with heather. Unfortunately it
had also been built with hot air ducted in wooden ducts and dry rot
got in.
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 18:27:42 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Weatherlawyer wrote:

They had cavity walls in Victorian times? Must discuss...

It was not unknown, no.

Especially in very wet places where the outer wall could get damp and
not affect the interior.

It has been more or less STANDARD since the 50's.

I cant recall when it became COMPULSORY.

The council house in which I was born was built in 1936 and had cavity
walls. Some Victorian houses in the same area were probably without
cavities as I recall looking to see whether they had brickwork in English
or Flemish bonding.

My current house was a council house, built about 1970, and doesn't have
cavity walls - one foot of (fairly) solid concrete instead.

--
Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks. E-mail: change boy to man
LibreOffice: http://www.documentfoundation.org/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
They had cavity walls in Victorian times? Must discuss...

It was not unknown, no.

Especially in very wet places where the outer wall could get damp and
not affect the interior.

It has been more or less STANDARD since the 50's.

I cant recall when it became COMPULSORY.

The council house in which I was born was built in 1936 and had cavity
walls. Some Victorian houses in the same area were probably without
cavities as I recall looking to see whether they had brickwork in English
or Flemish bonding.

My current house was a council house, built about 1970, and doesn't have
cavity walls - one foot of (fairly) solid concrete instead.

That..is appalling.

most houses in the 60's had cavity walls and indeed most post war stock
is like that.

I've only found solid walls in pre-war and 19th century stock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham P Davis wrote:

The council house in which I was born was built in 1936 and had cavity
walls. Some Victorian houses in the same area were probably without
cavities as I recall looking to see whether they had brickwork in English
or Flemish bonding.

My current house was a council house, built about 1970, and doesn't have
cavity walls - one foot of (fairly) solid concrete instead.

That..is appalling.

most houses in the 60's had cavity walls and indeed most post war stock
is like that.

I've only found solid walls in pre-war and 19th century stock.

Could it perhaps be no-fines concrete?

http://www.concrete.org.uk/services/fingertips_nuggets.asp?cmd=display&id=904

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Oct 2011 11:00:29 GMT Graham P Davis wrote :
The council house in which I was born was built in 1936 and had

cavity
walls. Some Victorian houses in the same area were probably without
cavities as I recall looking to see whether they had brickwork in
English or Flemish bonding.

I was a BCO in New Malden, SW London. Most of the 1930s houses
(predominantly built by Wates) and earlier was solid wall. Cavity
walls started to be used in the late 1930s. A colleague who came from
Portsmouth was amazed at this as cavity walls had come into common use
there much earlier. Contrary to what we were taught at school, cavity
wall construction was originally introduced to stop damp penetration,
not for insulation.

My current house was a council house, built about 1970, and doesn't
have cavity walls - one foot of (fairly) solid concrete instead.

Wimpey no-fines construction?

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I cant recall when it became COMPULSORY.

I don't recall it being compulsory.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

I cant recall when it became COMPULSORY.

I don't recall it being compulsory.

Well it is in terms of insulatin levels, which more or less means a
cavity if you are using brick or block.

Accepted that a bale of straw or a 3 meter thick stone castle wall is
probably as good.