Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

Default Service biz forecast

ok ok people, I know these threads pop up too often, but this one started in
a different thread and rather than continue to hijack that one, I moved it
here.. so excUUUUUUse mEEEEEEE!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ray:
Come on now.....it is NOT all gloom and doom.... my shop is fixing
stuff that wasn't even invented yet when I opened it in the early 70's.
DVD, CD, Projection sets, LCD computer monitors, compact stereo
systems, etc, etc. .... and of course I still have good business
with Phonograph turntables and related equipment.
Plus..... we have branched out to seek more business with the pro-audio
installation and home theatre installation areas. We also have
contracts with the local hospital, rest homes and hotels (televisions
and LCD monitors) and the local college.
Back in the 70's and 80's there was much talk of the demise of service
shops..... if you are not continually moving forward with new
technology and product training then you are going backwards.... and
eventually out of business.
electricitym
. . . . .

No, it's not all gloom and doom.. everywhere. But that's pretty much the
story here in this area of south TX. The shops TRY.. I don't know any shop
owner who wasn't ready and willing to accept the latest units in and yet..
the business just isn't there. Or at least not enough of it to sustain just
TWO shops -- 80,000 population and not even enough business for two shops?
That seems pretty gloomy to me. We also have large hospitals, hotels, a
college, etc., but that doesn't seem to be helping. Perhaps the last
fulltime shop in town will prevail. Time will tell.
Maybe there are just too many folks around here with big trucks and SUV
monstrosities that have to choose between entertainment and gas!

There's always been cynicism, but it sure seems to me that the relationships
between manufacturers and service shops (especially independents) is much
worse now than it was in the 70's and 80's (and even 90's). I don't expect
the trend to change for the better.
I'd be interested in the national statistics of folded shops in the next 5
and 10 years, after the market has been flooded with [presumably] affordable
and more reliable technologies such as OLED, PLED and the like. I wonder
how cooperative manu's will be when it comes to servicing those babies.
Hell, they'll probably make all the circuitry an integral part of the
screen, permanently bonded, so there's no choice but to replace the entire
unit with each and every failure. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn
they've done that.

Now, I DO see a future for high-end audio work. Until affordable, high-temp
superconductors are invented and utilized in designs whereby the consumer
can pump all the amps he wants thru a device w/o melting it, techs will
continue to see plenty of work in this area.
The trend with displays, however, is progressively lower current design,
which more often than not translates to higher reliability and greater MTBF,
and that never bodes well for servicers. This wasn't a huge problem with
technologies of the 70's, 80's, 90's, as they used much higher
voltage/current designs than the upcoming technologies.
I did notice a couple of manu's, Samsung for one, are using CRT's in some of
their HD units. Will be interesting to see how long this practice lasts.
At any rate, these represent the overwhelming minority of models, and
consequently there probably won't be enough of them in circulation to be of
great help in sustaining a service center down the road.

I was not one to sound the short-term alarm in the 70's (being rather young
at the time) or 80's. The 90's had me plenty ****ed off at several manu's,
though, and a bit more concerned about the long-term forecast. Now, IMHO,
the writing is on the wall where TV repair is concerned, particularly for
independents. Where the writing won't be is on customer checks to
servicers, as there will be progressively fewer. I'll find out whether I'm
right in say 5-7 more years if current trends continue.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

See other thread about the future.

Nothing in the large screen venue is as bright and sharp as a CRT based
set. That is the technology.

In the future soon, we will have to learn LCD light engines, DLP light
engines and their associated color wheel. And bulbs and ballasts all
around.

If you are up to it, welcome the new age, if there are 10 people
working at your shop, it will be nice when there are only four.

There was a time, I was convinced (by actual happenings) that I could
get a job at ANY TV shop, period. For a time that was true. Beat out
154 applicants for one job, then quit it after eight months.

Yes the same death knell is sounding for us, as it did for the toaster
terch about 40 years ago. I know the manufacturers act in their own
best interest, but they don't owe us ****. They do but not directly.
They owe the US for the detriment they have caused, but it is not owed
to me. I got my KP36XBR and that's the last time.

I turned it on today, talk about filthy, lenses and mirror. Tha is not
their fault though.

My amplifier is even older. I can't say that about the source though, I
play everything off the PC, except the guitar of course. They gotta do
what they gotta do, and guess what, so do we.

Roll with the changes. Survive. Ther alternative is,,, well the
alternative.

JURB

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ray:
OK.... I will repost what I said on your other thread on May 24.
Might I suggest that instead of trying to overanalyze the predicament
you are in... and complaining about it... that you could better spend
your valuable time getting the up-to-date training and test equipment
that you need, wear out some shoe leather, do some advertising and get
out there and sell your services.... or maybe it is time for you to
get some different training and find another occupation.
This is a fast moving technology and if you are standing still you will
ge left behind.... just like the radio shops did in the 50's, the TV
shops in the early 70's when color tv and solid state came out, etc,
etc, etc, etc.
electricitym
- - - - - - - - - -

Ray:
Come on now.....it is NOT all gloom and doom.... my shop is fixing
stuff that wasn't even invented yet when I opened it in the early 70's.

DVD, CD, Projection sets, LCD computer monitors, compact stereo
systems, etc, etc. .... and of course I still have good business
with Phonograph turntables and related equipment.
Plus..... we have branched out to seek more business with the pro-audio

installation and home theatre installation areas. We also have
contracts with the local hospital, rest homes and hotels (televisions
and LCD monitors) and the local college.
Back in the 70's and 80's there was much talk of the demise of service
shops..... if you are not continually moving forward with new
technology and product training then you are going backwards.... and
eventually out of business.
electricitym
.. . . . .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sofie

Ray L. Volts:
JURB and electricitym are ZZactly correct with their replies.....
.... get up to date with your training and equipment, actively solicit new
business, find new areas in the present business, etc ...... or go back to
"school" and something else to do in another field.
There are plenty of rewarding small businesses you can start up in fields
not even related to consumer electronics that do not require overly
expensive specialized training and equipment. Restaurants(or other food
services)? Retail shop(lots of choices) ?Consulting? Handyman? Car
detailing? Landscaping? Shade tree mechanic? Small job construction
and contracting?
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

Noone can argue that training and equipment are essential. And I have a
bench full of Sencore gear. And yes, I know how to use it well, tyvm. Of
course, the NTSC stuff will see progressively less use after NTSC is finally
history. Unfortunately, a well-equipped shop with well-trained techs still
sits idle where there is little interest from the population.

As for advertising, there's little value in it when you have virtually no
competition and everyone in the area either knows who and where you are or
can quickly find you in the yellow pages. All the advertising in the world
is simply not going to generate interest in some areas, short of "Free
repairs for everyone from now on!".
That's only a slight exaggeration. As pricing oneself out of business isn't
a viable option, what are the alternatives? Would u go door to door, get on
your hands and knees and beg them to let u repair their TV? uhm, no..

So pack up and move to where the income is, right? Good idea. Not only is
that pretty costly, I'm also dug in at the moment for various reasons, so..
not an option.
Of course, starting a new biz venture isn't necessarily inexpensive, either.

I'm glad for those who find it as profitable today as it was a decade ago.
I'd think it was just ME, something I'm doing terribly WRONG, and nobody
else is in the same situation... were it not for all the shops (and part
suppliers) I see going belly up.

Another point:
Customers expect miracles (in a miraculous time period) while at the same
time viewing shop owners like rip off artists. Incompetent techs and
unscrupulous shop owners have earned the industry so many black marks over
the years that customers don't think twice about mouthing off and treating
ya like dirt. That most often occurs on their first visit, before you prove
yourself, but these days people are persistently rude as hell to begin with,
which only makes them behave worse when they encounter you with a
preconceived notion that you're determined to rip them off.
To borrow from the Truth campaign, 'Is it worth it?' Perhaps it is, where
it's very lucrative... not so much where it isn't. In any case, it has a
way of detracting from the enjoyment of the work. I guess it probably IS
time to get out when ya start viewing your customers in the same vein as
cancer sticks. =o

So.. anybody want a few boxes of ES&T mags?? j/k (for now)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ray:
If you "think" you are going to fail you will probably find a way to do
it.
A positive attitude is contagious and will be noticed by your
prospective customers and as you wear out your shoe leather actually
knocking on the door of prospective commerical customers you will have
a much better chance of closing deals..... hospitals, hotels, rest
homes, corporate offices, city and county offices, schools, colleges,
etc..... these are just some of the places you can get repeat business
with customers who are more willing to pay a good price for good
on-site services.
Likewise, a negative attitude will also be noticed by your customers
even if you don't think you are showing it.......... and they will
probably go away.
Maybe it is time to stop taking the time to write all of this gloom and
doom and get moving with positive actions and thoughts...... and if
that is not possible with your present company it may well be past time
for a career change.
I wish good luck to you.
electricitym
..