Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl PIR Lamp

On Monday 03/10/11 Lidl are offering an inexpensive PIR lamp that appears
to do what I need.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l...ndex_24616.htm

The spec. says that it has adjustable light output - 3 - 100 lux. Anyone
got experience of that type of functionality because, for one purpose,
that might do just what I want.

They are also offering a tap aerator kit.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//...ndex_24621.htm

How effective are these on gravity fed taps? Or do you need mains pressure
to make them viable? At that price maybe suck it and see.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I can't help you on the variable lux I'm afraid, but thanks for the link:
this might well suit me, too.

I'm slightly dubious about it being "splashproof" though. Does that mean
one good rainfall and it dies?

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 14:12:12 +0100, polygonum wrote:
On Monday 03/10/11 Lidl are offering an inexpensive PIR lamp that appears
to do what I need.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l...ndex_24616.htm

The spec. says that it has adjustable light output - 3 - 100 lux. Anyone
got experience of that type of functionality because, for one purpose,
that might do just what I want.

I think you'll find that the spec which says: "Adjustable brightness from (lux): 3 - 100"
refers to the triggering level of the PIR. I.e. you can set it so that even if the PIR
detects a warm body, if the ambient light is too high (e.g, it's still daylight) then the
lamp won't switch on.

They are also offering a tap aerator kit.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//...ndex_24621.htm

How effective are these on gravity fed taps? Or do you need mains pressure
to make them viable? At that price maybe suck it and see.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"root" wrote in message
On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 14:12:12 +0100, polygonum wrote:
On Monday 03/10/11 Lidl are offering an inexpensive PIR lamp that appears
to do what I need.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l...ndex_24616.htm

The spec. says that it has adjustable light output - 3 - 100 lux. Anyone
got experience of that type of functionality because, for one purpose,
that might do just what I want.

I think you'll find that the spec which says: "Adjustable brightness from
(lux): 3 - 100"
refers to the triggering level of the PIR. I.e. you can set it so that
even if the PIR
detects a warm body, if the ambient light is too high (e.g, it's still
daylight) then the
lamp won't switch on.

that's it, refers to the pir operation light level, not the light output
level,

i have one of those lights, bought it in been and queued 2 years ago, i have
a 10 meter square garden, and i can see it fine with the light from this
lamp, ok it's not enough to work by past 4 meters, but for illuminating the
garden to see whee the cat is to spray the hose or watching for dogs eggs
when you walk out in bare feet at night, it's fine,

when it's frosty out the lamp can take about 30 seconds to get to full
brightness, but most cfl's are like that, especialy if used outdoors in
winter.

dunno about splashproof, rain splashes doent it? i imagine they are saying
dont clean the glass with a pressure washer,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gazz wrote:

Dunno about splashproof, rain splashes doesn't it?

Actually, I'd say that it does rather more than that. I thought the spec
meant that it could withstand the odd incidental splash but not sustained
rainfall.

But if you've had no rain-related problems with yours, that's reassuring.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 17:03:49 +0100, Gazz wrote:

"root" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks both - somewhat awkward phraseology on the site. Understand exactly
what you mean.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2011 16:04, root wrote:
On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 14:12:12 +0100, polygonum wrote:
On Monday 03/10/11 Lidl are offering an inexpensive PIR lamp that appears
to do what I need.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l...ndex_24616.htm

The spec. says that it has adjustable light output - 3 - 100 lux. Anyone
got experience of that type of functionality because, for one purpose,
that might do just what I want.

I think you'll find that the spec which says: "Adjustable brightness from (lux): 3 - 100"
refers to the triggering level of the PIR. I.e. you can set it so that even if the PIR
detects a warm body, if the ambient light is too high (e.g, it's still daylight) then the
lamp won't switch on.

Yup, probably what they are trying to say....

then again it might be a recognition of the fact it has a low energy
lamp in a cold environment... Hence when it triggers, you get 3 lux when
you want much more, then 5 mins later its heading toward 50 now you no
longer need it! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 17:21:09 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 01/10/2011 16:04, root wrote:
[...]

It might have a CFL that's suitable for low-temperature use, but I doubt it.
Fitness for purpose...?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away