Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Capping a rusty old pipe

We have a problem with an old Victorian pipe that's leaking. The pipe
comes from a reservoir, runs under our house, and used to feed an old
swimming pool which was decommissioned, as far as I know, in the 60s.
The reservoir is not on our property, and the site of the old swimming
pool is also on someone else's property. The pipe is definitely not
used any more, but seems to be full of water and leaking. It's about
1" diameter iron and is very rusty in places. The reservoir is
probably 30m higher than our house, so the pressure could be
considerable.

I want to cap this pipe upstream of our house where it runs through
some woodland, but I'm sure I won't find a standard fitting to do the
job, so it needs some improvisation.

I've dug a hole around the pipe and I'm thinking that I could hammer
the pipe flat to try to stem the flow, then cut it slightly downstream
and try to bung the end with something (cement / silicone sealant /
plumbers' putty), but I'm worried that if the flat section of pipe
lets water through then there will be a build up of pressure behind
the bung which will cause it to fail.

Any suggestions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2011 12:29, Bodgit wrote:
[...]

Victorian iron pipe is likely cast iron, and will shatter rather than
hammer flat.

Good luck!

Andy

Capping a rusty old pipe Bodgit UK diy 9 September 21st 11 09:00 PM
capping 15mm gas pipe noname[_3_] UK diy 5 June 24th 08 10:31 PM
Capping hot water pipe The Count UK diy 2 January 7th 06 11:17 AM
Cost of capping a gas pipe . Stuart UK diy 47 December 23rd 05 08:26 PM
Capping 10mm Pipe Nigel Heather UK diy 5 March 3rd 05 10:15 PM