Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Saddle clamps - demountable clamp for table display?

HI Folks

I want to arrange an easily demountable fixing to secure a 1" square
tube vertically to the edge of a table.....
ideally without using spanners / screwdrivers ect

The table is one of those 'fold-up-into-a-suitcase' jobbies - the
table-top is some kind of heavy-duty composite injection moulding.

The edge of the table top is 1.5" deep and 1/4" thick.

I was looking for some kind of a saddle-clamp - something like this
http://www.hexworldwide.com/saddle-clamp-base.html
but in such a form that you could offer the tube up to the table and
then drop the securing bar down like a latch - sort of the opposite of
the one in the photo.

Does such a thing exist 'ready-made' - and, if so, what's it called
(and does somebody sell them online)?

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2011 20:35, Owain wrote:
On Sep 20, 5:57 pm, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
I was looking for some kind of a saddle-clamp - something like this
http://www.hexworldwide.com/saddle-clamp-base.html
but in such a form that you could offer the tube up to the table and
then drop the securing bar down like a latch - sort of the opposite of
the one in the photo.
Does such a thing exist 'ready-made' - and, if so, what's it called
(and does somebody sell them online)?

You might be able to slot the securing bar so it drops over the fixed
screws, or replace the screws with handwheel bolts.

Owain

Yes - that's a possibility....
From the photo it looks as if the bar is threaded, rather than the
'saddle' part - so that'd be all 'inside out'.....

If all else fails I can sort something out with some long bolts and
spacers, and cut a piece of steel to use as the 'latch' - but it'd be
much easier if something existed already!

I'll take a look in my local agri-merchants later in the week - they
have all kinds of useful stuff that can be 'repurposed' !
Thanks
Adrian
Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian Brentnall
writes
On 20/09/2011 20:35, Owain wrote:
On Sep 20, 5:57 pm, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
I was looking for some kind of a saddle-clamp - something like this
http://www.hexworldwide.com/saddle-clamp-base.html
but in such a form that you could offer the tube up to the table and
then drop the securing bar down like a latch - sort of the opposite of
the one in the photo.
Does such a thing exist 'ready-made' - and, if so, what's it called
(and does somebody sell them online)?

You might be able to slot the securing bar so it drops over the fixed
screws, or replace the screws with handwheel bolts.

Owain

Yes - that's a possibility....
From the photo it looks as if the bar is threaded, rather than the
'saddle' part - so that'd be all 'inside out'.....

If all else fails I can sort something out with some long bolts and
spacers, and cut a piece of steel to use as the 'latch' - but it'd be
much easier if something existed already!

I'll take a look in my local agri-merchants later in the week - they
have all kinds of useful stuff that can be 'repurposed' !

Nothing I can think of:-)

You could make up something like the slotted fixing found in the back of
wall mounted electrical enclosures. I.e. a large hole to take a screw
head with a linked narrow slot above to fit the screw shank. A short
length of 90deg. angle screwed to your table top with 4 screws part
seated in the vertical face. Fold up an omega shape to suit your square
section and drill and file 4 holes to fit over your screws. Once dropped
over the screws, gravity should keep it in place.

regards

--
Tim Lamb