Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default how to clamp pipe vertically to milling table?

Hi. A newbie sort of question he I want to clamp a sort section of
2" pipe vertically to my milling table, and then use a boring bar set
to increase it's ID a tad. (I don't have access to a lathe.) How do
I clamp it? Do they make some sort of chuck for this purpose? What
is it called and where do I get one? If it makes a difference, I
have an RF45 clone bench mill and a import 8" rotary table.

--zeb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 20, 1:40*pm, wrote:
Hi. A newbie sort of question he *I want to clamp a sort section of
2" pipe vertically to my milling table, and then use a boring bar set
to increase it's ID a tad. * (I don't have access to a lathe.) *How do
I clamp it? * Do they make some sort of chuck for this purpose? *What
is it called and where do I get one? * If it makes a difference, *I
have an RF45 clone bench mill and a import 8" rotary table.

--zeb

Vise and a pair of V-blocks?

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--If you can move the head of the mill to somewhere other than the
top of the table you're golden. Clamp pipe to side of table, move head and
go for it. There's a very neat widget called a Verti Vise but it ain't
cheap..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Blue Cross socks us
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : $23,000/yr!! ...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 20, 1:40*pm, wrote:
Hi. A newbie sort of question he *I want to clamp a sort section of
2" pipe vertically to my milling table, and then use a boring bar set
to increase it's ID a tad. * (I don't have access to a lathe.) *How do
I clamp it? * Do they make some sort of chuck for this purpose? *What
is it called and where do I get one? * If it makes a difference, *I
have an RF45 clone bench mill and a import 8" rotary table.

--zeb

How sort is it? If only a few inches you could clamp it in the vise
between two vee blocks, or one and a piece of wood. Two blocks will
distort the pipe less. A diagonally braced cast iron angle plate is
likely the cheapest useful fixture you could buy for this and later
jobs.
http://www.allproducts.com/tool/qiao...ngle_plate.jpg

I prefer this type for precision work:
http://www.finelinehair.com/home/angle_plate_2.jpg
By laying it on its side round and square parts can be held precisely
upright in the inner corner.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:

If you have 2-4-6 blocks you could bolt them together at right angles to
make a Vee-block.

I've never thought of that. I wish someone that knows the many uses of 1-2-3 and 2-4-6
blocks would give a dissertation on their creative use.

Wes