Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'Permanent on' lighting

I need to put some lights in a short length of passageway in the
house. It has no natural light. I was considering LED's wired
'permanently on' as cheaper than using a PIR.

Any suggestions as to fittings and lamps? There are no walls I can use
so it has to be ceiling.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:
I need to put some lights in a short length of passageway in the
house. It has no natural light. I was considering LED's wired
'permanently on' as cheaper than using a PIR.

Any suggestions as to fittings and lamps? There are no walls I can use
so it has to be ceiling.

R.

Every watt of power used by your lighting costs over a £1 per year now

So a PIR taken off a £6.99 floodlight (LIDL,ALDI from time to time) will
save you money pretty quickly. You can still use it to control LED
lights for even more savings.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheOldFellow writes:
I need to put some lights in a short length of passageway in the
house. It has no natural light. I was considering LED's wired
'permanently on' as cheaper than using a PIR.

Any suggestions as to fittings and lamps? There are no walls I can use
so it has to be ceiling.

There's a bit of hallway in my house like that.
I bought a fitting I liked, and then converted it to
take a 10W 2D fluorescent with electronic ballast.
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/lights/diy2/

It all depends what sort of lighting level you want
and the size of the area concerned. The most efficient
source is going to be a linear fluorescent and the
smallest efficient one is the 14W T5 tube (around 100
lumens/watt) which is about 22" long. I didn't want
such a bare tube, so I went for a 2D tube (about 65
lumens/watt) which fitted in the fitting I chose.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Sep 20, 9:42 am, Bob Minchin wrote:
Every watt of power used by your lighting costs over a £1 per year now
So a PIR taken off a £6.99 floodlight (LIDL,ALDI from time to time) will
save you money pretty quickly. You can still use it to control LED
lights for even more savings.

What's the standby consumption of a PIR?

Gotta be peanuts - a mA or two.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 20/09/2011, TheOldFellow supposed :
I need to put some lights in a short length of passageway in the
house. It has no natural light. I was considering LED's wired
'permanently on' as cheaper than using a PIR.

Any suggestions as to fittings and lamps? There are no walls I can use
so it has to be ceiling.

Bulk head type LED emergency lights.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
wrote
Owain wrote:
On Sep 20, 9:42 am, Bob Minchin wrote:
Every watt of power used by your lighting costs over a £1 per year now
So a PIR taken off a £6.99 floodlight (LIDL,ALDI from time to time) will
save you money pretty quickly. You can still use it to control LED
lights for even more savings.

What's the standby consumption of a PIR?

Gotta be peanuts - a mA or two.

Honeywell are one of the few suppliers of light switching PIRs who have
readily available data sheets. The PIR on its own is around 0.25 Watts.

I investigated some of the dusk to dawn photocell switches recently.
These take around 2W on their own.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Sep 20, 9:42 am, Bob Minchin wrote:
Every watt of power used by your lighting costs over a £1 per year
now So a PIR taken off a £6.99 floodlight (LIDL,ALDI from time to
time) will save you money pretty quickly. You can still use it to
control LED lights for even more savings.
What's the standby consumption of a PIR?

Gotta be peanuts - a mA or two.

Honeywell are one of the few suppliers of light switching PIRs who
have readily available data sheets. The PIR on its own is around 0.25
Watts.
I investigated some of the dusk to dawn photocell switches recently.
These take around 2W on their own.

Yes, but if you use solar powered ones then you can use the output of the
lights they control to power the sensor and the power will be for free!

--
Adam