Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing bottom row of cement roof tiles, to repair felt.

I want to remove the bottom row of cement ties on my pitched roof, in order
to lay a strip of damp proof membrane under the lower edge of the felt
which has disintegrated where it projects from under the tiles.

The tiles are fairly larhge (I guess about 40cm x 50 cm or so). Each tile
is nailed, at the top, to a betten. How do I extract the nail, when it is
covered by the tile above? And how do I replace the nail when restoring the
tile to its original position, after the felt work is done?

Many thanks,

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2011 10:26, AL_n wrote:

I want to remove the bottom row of cement ties on my pitched roof, in order
to lay a strip of damp proof membrane under the lower edge of the felt
which has disintegrated where it projects from under the tiles.

The tiles are fairly larhge (I guess about 40cm x 50 cm or so). Each tile
is nailed, at the top, to a betten. How do I extract the nail, when it is
covered by the tile above? And how do I replace the nail when restoring the
tile to its original position, after the felt work is done?

This job varies is difficulty depending how windy the location, and how
the roofers did it... modern practice quite often nails the first course
or couple of courses, and then does some of the others. See if the
course above can be lifted a bit and then slid up under the tiles above.
This will expose the nail on the tile on the bottom row. You may find
that you need to go up a couple of rows to find an un-nailed one, then
then work back down. If they are all nailed, then its a bit harder! You
may be able to prise the nail free by lifting the bottom edge (then
again it might snap the tile - so have a spare handy). Alternatively you
may be able to cut the nail with a slater's "rip" slid up an hooked over
the nail.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2011 10:26, AL_n wrote:

I want to remove the bottom row of cement ties on my pitched roof, in order
to lay a strip of damp proof membrane under the lower edge of the felt
which has disintegrated where it projects from under the tiles.

Had you looked at a purpose-made "felt support", e.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/felt-suppo...ck-of-5/36622?

I faffed about with dpm, and wonder whether this stuff might make a
better job, and be easier.

--
Kevin Poole

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin Poole wrote:
On 18/09/2011 10:26, AL_n wrote:

I want to remove the bottom row of cement ties on my pitched roof, in
order
to lay a strip of damp proof membrane under the lower edge of the felt
which has disintegrated where it projects from under the tiles.

Had you looked at a purpose-made "felt support", e.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/felt-suppo...ck-of-5/36622?

I faffed about with dpm, and wonder whether this stuff might make a
better job, and be easier.

These are exactly what you need. Lift the edge of a few tiles at a time
with a batten, slide in the soffit protector/felt support UNDER the
felt. Fit the next one along with a 100mm or so overlap.
The short angled edge folds over into the gutter, normally not needing
any fixings but the odd well aimed felt nail can help.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2011 14:02, John Rumm wrote:
On 18/09/2011 10:26, AL_n wrote:

[...]

How true! We're only in a moderately windy location and not nailed at
all. Generally agree and I was going to suggest the slater's ripper as
well, but then I thought these are really aimed at the much softer
copper nails used for slates. I suspect they won't touch steel ones,
unless they are short and only just nipped into the batten. Other
posters have already mentioned the felt protectors, which are definitely
on the list for my next roof (if there is one).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 18, 10:26*am, "AL_n" wrote:
I want to remove the bottom row of cement ties on my pitched roof, in order
to lay a strip of damp proof membrane under the lower edge of the felt
which has disintegrated where it projects from under the tiles.

The tiles are fairly larhge (I guess about 40cm x 50 cm or so). Each tile
is nailed, at the top, to a betten. How do I extract the nail, when it is
covered by the tile above? And how do I replace the nail when restoring the
tile to its original position, after the felt work is done?

Many thanks,

Al

There is a tool called a ripper for this. Long thin blade with hookon
the endshovesupunder the tile and a sharp jerk cuts/breaks/pulls out
the nail.
There are special latching gadgets to put the tiles back.

http://www.tooled-up.com/MicroCatego...=134&MCID=1790

There is special plastic gadgets to fix your perished felt too. They
have it in screwfix.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/felt-suppo...ack-of-5/36622
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 18, 6:29*pm, harry wrote:
On Sep 18, 10:26*am, "AL_n" wrote:

[...]

Ripper or slate rip as its called in the roofing trade is totaly
usesless in removing nails in concrete tiles. Its sole use is for
slates.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin Poole wrote in news:j54sdu$qsm
:

Had you looked at a purpose-made "felt support", e.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/felt-suppo...ck-of-5/36622?

I faffed about with dpm, and wonder whether this stuff might make a
better job, and be easier.

Yes, I've seen this product. Thanks for the link. I can now see the
advantage of it, especially the regidity factor which I can see would help
prevent sagging. Can this stuff can be inserted without the need to
actually remove the bottom row of tiles, by lifting the tiles and inserting
it under the remains of the felt?

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote in news:j550ii
:

These are exactly what you need. Lift the edge of a few tiles at a time
with a batten, slide in the soffit protector/felt support UNDER the
felt. Fit the next one along with a 100mm or so overlap.
The short angled edge folds over into the gutter, normally not needing
any fixings but the odd well aimed felt nail can help.

You've answered the question I was going to ask: can this stuff be inserted
without actually removing the bottom row of tiles. So my question now is:
Since the product comes in 1.5m lenths (for example), what is the best way
to lift four or five (or so) heavy tiles at a time in order to insert the
strip? I was hoping to do this job from a ladder. Is that feasable?

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote in news:j550ii
:

These are exactly what you need. Lift the edge of a few tiles at a time
with a batten,

Unfortunately, the tiles on my roof are the large concrete type which
interlock (the right edge of each tile overlaps the left edge of the
adjacent tile. So, it seems to me that I only have one option: lift the
entire row, in order to insert the strip!

I suppose one could prop up the entire row of tiles with wooden blocks, and
then manually support a few at a time, while removing the supporting blocks
and inserting the fascia protector strip, then replace the blcoks and move
on to the next section. Does that sound like the way to attempt it?

Hiring a scaffold is more than I want to fork out for, but I can probably
enlist a helping hand with a second ladder.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , AL_n
writes
Bob Minchin wrote in news:j550ii
:

These are exactly what you need. Lift the edge of a few tiles at a time
with a batten,

Unfortunately, the tiles on my roof are the large concrete type which
interlock (the right edge of each tile overlaps the left edge of the
adjacent tile. So, it seems to me that I only have one option: lift the
entire row, in order to insert the strip!

I suppose one could prop up the entire row of tiles with wooden blocks, and
then manually support a few at a time, while removing the supporting blocks
and inserting the fascia protector strip, then replace the blcoks and move
on to the next section. Does that sound like the way to attempt it?

Hiring a scaffold is more than I want to fork out for, but I can probably
enlist a helping hand with a second ladder.

Hmm.. sky hooks?

Might not be the end of the world if you halved the tray and lapped the
join using a suitable mastic.

My other thought was to make up a rectangular frame with two extended
sides to act a levers. Top side rests on softening on roof, bottom side
is L shaped to hook under bottom row. Long sides go over the shoulders
of two idiots on ladders. Might work but I wouldn't care to try:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Felt Roof repair Bill[_18_] UK diy 11 July 9th 10 09:18 PM
cement type roof tiles Seamus J. Wilson Home Repair 6 December 10th 09 01:50 AM
Felt roof repair [email protected] UK diy 6 November 4th 09 10:05 AM
Lean-to roof - Tiles bedded on mortar on felt on wall js.b1 UK diy 1 August 25th 09 09:46 AM
Removing Tiles from Cement Board Please Help traderfjp Home Repair 9 March 30th 05 10:44 PM