Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default For the sparkies (with URL)

http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z421/gibbogle/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z421/gibbogle/

That takes me back! I lived in Delhi for several years in the early 70's. At
that time the three-phase overhead distribution wires on poles in
residential areas were solid copper about 6mm diameter. The cables to our
house were simply wrapped round the solid copper without clamps. When we
lost power the supply company's first action was to come round with a long
bamboo pole and hit the joint -- shower of sparks and we were on again.

Stephen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2011 06:51, Gib Bogle wrote:
http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z421/gibbogle/

Perhaps the Dukee Embra might like to comment, if he's a lurker?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z421/gibbogle/

And these are the people on ISPs help desks :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 18/09/11 16:07, John wrote:
In article ,
says...

http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z421/gibbogle/

And these are the people on ISPs help desks :-)

Yes, explains why NoEffin Media's customer service had difficulty
understanding the concept of a cable buried in the ground; let alone one
with an 18" air gap where NG had dug a trench for the new gas main.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-09-16, Gib Bogle wrote:

http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z421/gibbogle/

Yeah, I have some similar photos from a trip to India a couple of
years ago.

--

Have you been inside any of the substations?

Also have you ever been to Tamil Nadu, we get Tamil satellite TV where
I live, the streets there seem to be a lot tidier, with underground
power distribution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-09-16, Gib wrote:

http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z421/gibbogle/

Yeah, I have some similar photos from a trip to India a couple of
years ago.

--

Have you been inside any of the substations?

Also have you ever been to Tamil Nadu, we get Tamil satellite TV where
I live, the streets there seem to be a lot tidier, with underground
power distribution.

This is a rather old part of Delhi, just outside the Chawri Bazar Metro
station. The substation was built in 1953, though.

Another thing I would have liked to get a pic of, but felt I'd be
risking arrest or worse, was a sandbag emplacement inside the station,
about chest height, complete with soldier and weapon (semi-automatic?).
On the Delhi Metro everyone has to pass through a metal-detector and
have their bags x-rayed (or whatever it is those machines do) to get
access to the trains.

I did get a shot of a picturesque looking old guy in the street carrying
a long spear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Gib Bogle
writes
On 2011-09-16, Gib wrote:

http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z421/gibbogle/

Yeah, I have some similar photos from a trip to India a couple of
years ago.

--

Have you been inside any of the substations?

Also have you ever been to Tamil Nadu, we get Tamil satellite TV where
I live, the streets there seem to be a lot tidier, with underground
power distribution.

This is a rather old part of Delhi, just outside the Chawri Bazar Metro
station. The substation was built in 1953, though.

Another thing I would have liked to get a pic of, but felt I'd be
risking arrest or worse, was a sandbag emplacement inside the station,
about chest height, complete with soldier and weapon (semi-automatic?).

Easy - If he has an Enfield, you start taking a photo of that, he'll
rush over to stand to attention at salute next to his pride and joy, you
then deftly swing round and take a photo of the emplacement

On the Delhi Metro everyone has to pass through a metal-detector and
have their bags x-rayed (or whatever it is those machines do) to get
access to the trains.

I did get a shot of a picturesque looking old guy in the street
carrying a long spear.

I got chased by one once ... with spear

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-09-16, Gib Bogle wrote:
http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z421/gibbogle/

Yeah, I have some similar photos from a trip to India a couple of
years ago.

Wow - takes "lash up" to a whole new level...

I've never seen anything that gash even in the backwaters of China...

--
Tim Watts

For the sparkies ... Gib Bogle[_3_] UK diy 1 September 16th 11 10:52 PM
Sparkies - Ring fault? A.Lee UK diy 10 January 17th 11 10:57 AM
A question for the trading plumbers, gas fitters and sparkies? OT Bob[_42_] UK diy 5 January 19th 10 10:13 PM
OT ...one for the sparkies mark UK diy 31 February 21st 08 11:45 AM
Another sparkies question about generators Eric R Snow Metalworking 47 August 30th 03 05:36 AM