Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New bathroom time

Looked at B&Q but their back to wall loos get bad reviews

(Looking at basin and loo in a cupboardy thing - can't for the life of
me remmeber what they're called.)
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mogga wrote:

Looked at B&Q but their back to wall loos get bad reviews

(Looking at basin and loo in a cupboardy thing - can't for the life of
me remmeber what they're called.)

I got my bits from Bathstore - seems pretty decent stuff.

The high level flush cistern and bog are the best I've ever seen in my life
with respect to being unblockable, despite the modern small volume flush.

Basin had pretty decent and convincing ali brackets and the acrylic bath is
pretty smart, despite being acrylic.
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 13, 10:10 am, mogga wrote:
Looked at B&Q but their back to wall loos get bad reviews

(Looking at basin and loo in a cupboardy thing - can't for the life of
me remmeber what they're called.)

speaking of NO SPAM???? --http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

try bathaholic, www & on ebay.
done 3 bathrooms with (mainly) their stuff so far & been good value

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On Sep 13, 10:10 am, mogga wrote:
Looked at B&Q but their back to wall loos get bad reviews

(Looking at basin and loo in a cupboardy thing - can't for the life of
me remmeber what they're called.)

speaking of NO SPAM???? --http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

try bathaholic, www & on ebay.
done 3 bathrooms with (mainly) their stuff so far & been good value

Jim K

Don't be tempted to go anywhere near Tescos for a bathroom suite. I fitted
one of their baths last year... What a piece of ****! The chipboard on the
base of the acrylic bath was nothing but muesli! Try fixing the supports
into that!

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
mogga wrote:

Looked at B&Q but their back to wall loos get bad reviews

(Looking at basin and loo in a cupboardy thing - can't for the life of
me remmeber what they're called.)

I got my bits from Bathstore - seems pretty decent stuff.

'seems'

Its utter crap actually.

Nothing I got from there proved really staisfactory, and it was moere
expensive (though stylish) than the builders merchant..

The high level flush cistern and bog are the best I've ever seen in my life
with respect to being unblockable, despite the modern small volume flush.

Basin had pretty decent and convincing ali brackets and the acrylic bath is
pretty smart, despite being acrylic.

and highly flexible.. mine has more bits of MDF and car body filler in
it than my 1962 mini had..

and it still is impossible to read a book in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

and highly flexible.. mine has more bits of MDF and car body filler in
it than my 1962 mini had..

Surprisingly, not.

It has one heavy baseboard encased in the fibreglass underneath (as in you
cannot see the board, only the thick lump where it is).

Sure - there is a tiny bit of flex compared to an iron bath, but it is
barely moves when I step into it and I'm a lardball.

This is why I was extolling Bathstore - it does seem to be quite well made.

The only issue I had was I had to diamond file the holes out in the back of
the bog cistern slighty - the glaze had blobbed inside and as that cistern
only hangs on the two bolt holes (the brackets are stated as decorative only
adn I did not bother with them) I wanted the biggest bit of SS stud (8mm)
that I could get in, the stud being resin mortared 3" into some cheeseblock
wall.

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 13, 12:45*pm, Dean Heighington
wrote:
Jim K wrote:
On Sep 13, 10:10 am, mogga wrote:
Looked at B&Q but their *back to wall loos get bad reviews

(Looking at basin and loo in a cupboardy thing - can't for the life of
me remmeber what they're called.)

speaking of NO SPAM???? --http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

try bathaholic, www & on ebay.
done 3 bathrooms with (mainly) their stuff so far & been good value

Jim K

Don't be tempted to go anywhere near Tescos for a bathroom suite. I fitted
one of their baths last year... What a piece of ****! The chipboard on the
base of the acrylic bath was nothing but muesli! Try fixing the supports
into that!

Was it a 'value' wholemeal bath? I didnt know they did bathroom
suites.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 13, 10:10*am, mogga wrote:
Looked at B&Q but their *back to wall loos get bad reviews

(Looking at basin and loo in a cupboardy thing - can't for the life of
me remmeber what they're called.)
--http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Trouble is basins built into cupboards have a habit of being chipboard
based (the cupboards, not the basins!). And over time water and chip
just arent compatible.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Sep 13, 12:45 pm, Dean Heighington

Was it a 'value' wholemeal bath? I didnt know they did bathroom
suites.

NT

Nor did I until it arrived with the groceries
They'll prolly sell 10,000 of them, see the amount if complaints and then
product to another

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

Trouble is basins built into cupboards have a habit of being chipboard
based (the cupboards, not the basins!). And over time water and chip
just arent compatible.

NT

Top tip here...

Whenever installing a chipboard (or MDF) built vanity unit, washstand or
other cabinet into a bathroom (or kitchen AAMOF) I always paint any exposed
edges (usually rear and base of unit) with either silicone or PVA to add
that little extra protection from spilled water onto the floor or down the
back as well as a bead around those perimeters if applicable (sometimes
customer doesn't want it!)

It's not a guarantee but a belts and braces tactic that helps prevent the
museli sucking up moisture. I first did it on my own, my dad didn't (his
went all puffy at the base)

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:16:21 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

On Sep 13, 10:10*am, mogga wrote:
Looked at B&Q but their *back to wall loos get bad reviews

(Looking at basin and loo in a cupboardy thing - can't for the life of
me remmeber what they're called.)
--http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Trouble is basins built into cupboards have a habit of being chipboard
based (the cupboards, not the basins!). And over time water and chip
just arent compatible.

Very true. Mine lasted less than 6 months of light use.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:08:57 PM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

and highly flexible.. mine has more bits of MDF and car body filler in
it than my 1962 mini had..

Surprisingly, not.

It has one heavy baseboard encased in the fibreglass underneath (as in you
cannot see the board, only the thick lump where it is).

Sure - there is a tiny bit of flex compared to an iron bath, but it is
barely moves when I step into it and I'm a lardball.

I got a "carronite bath" which is encased in an extra layer of something black and hard (patented or whatever). On the advert they parked the 4 wheels of a truck onto 4 such baths.
I got it since I realised I could almost see my hand through a standard acrylic fibreglass bath.
The bath is supported on its leg / cradle thing and also around the rim by a 2x4 frame.
They whole thing is rock solid. I didn't fill with water before sealing because I did not need to.
Simon.