Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeFaeGlesga

Default Time to start on new bathroom

OK - reached the bathroom in the house i moved into 3 years ago -
Looking
for any tips and most of all the order in which to do things.
The walls and floors will all be tiled - taking off current tiles will
be a
pain but needs must - the ceiling will be getting a few spots in and
the
hanging light removed. A tower heater/radiator thingymabob will replace
the
radiator. New bath, WC and basin put in..The floors boards are a bit
ropey -
is it best to replace with new flooring to make the floor tiles more at
ease! (of any sort).... Give me yout 2
bobs worth people and i shall return the favour with 1 beer voucher -
redeemable when you meet me in a pub (-;

Regards

Joe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hey Joe,

Here on the other side of the pond, we would approach that job, which
appears to be a complete redo with a complete and utter rip out. Get
down to basic structure on all 6 sides and start fresh. From there,
get everything as close to level as possible and rough systems
(plumbing and electrical) installed. In my experience, when you have
the rough framing and systems properly installed everything else is
goes in like butter. If you try and mess around retrofitting old work
to match up with new you end up with a half assed and more difficult
job.

Good Luck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Another Dave

JoeFaeGlesga wrote:
OK - reached the bathroom in the house i moved into 3 years ago -
Looking
for any tips and most of all the order in which to do things.
The walls and floors will all be tiled - taking off current tiles will
be a
pain but needs must -

If the house is reasonably modern some, at least, of the tiled walls
will be plasterboard. Removing the old tiles will wreck the plasterboard
completely. You have to bite the bullet and plan on removing these walls
completely back to the studding. You can replace the plasterboard and
re-tile easily.
Last year I started out trying to remove the old tiles carefully - it's
a waste of time - go for broke, it's a lot quicker in the end.

Cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Feb 2006 09:55:03 -0800, "JoeFaeGlesga"
wrote:

[...]

have you got alternative facilities ?
this will obviously affect the way you go about the job

bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeFaeGlesga wrote:

OK - reached the bathroom in the house i moved into 3 years ago -
Looking
for any tips and most of all the order in which to do things.
The walls and floors will all be tiled - taking off current tiles will
be a

pain but needs must - the ceiling will be getting a few spots in and
the
hanging light removed.

suggest reading up on downlighters here first.

Removing tiles: sds and chisel bit.

The floors boards are a bit
ropey -
is it best to replace with new flooring to make the floor tiles more at
ease! (of any sort)....

tiles need a very firm foundation. If the boards arent, I'd go with wbp
ply. I heard theres also a waterproof grade of chip, never used it tho.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeFaeGlesga

Nope - thats the problem - with the misses and 2 kids - as soon as the
bathrooms out of action for more than 30 minutes all hell breaks loos.
Think i might have to go for the whole redo as suggested by jerryrig -
cheers all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Feb 2006 04:02:06 -0800, "JoeFaeGlesga"
wrote:

Nope - thats the problem - with the misses and 2 kids - as soon as the
bathrooms out of action for more than 30 minutes all hell breaks loos.
Think i might have to go for the whole redo as suggested by jerryrig -
cheers all.

hey what about that beer
i should be in glasgow sometime in april to celebrate the bhoys
winning another league title

mick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeFaeGlesga wrote:
Nope - thats the problem - with the misses and 2 kids - as soon as the
bathrooms out of action for more than 30 minutes all hell breaks loos.
Think i might have to go for the whole redo as suggested by jerryrig -

Might be better off not DIY'ing if you have pressure on facilities. My
bathroom mercifully had a separate WC, So it was quite easy to rip the
lot out and refit at my leisure, just popping over to a friends house
for baths/showering facilities.

Have a look around the camping shops for a portable loo if you haven't
got friendly neighbours !

My refit went something like

Cap off water supplies
Rip out old bath and basin
Chip off old wall tiles
Replaster down to level of new wall tiles
rough fit bath
Tile walls
Permanently fit & plumb bath
rough fit basin & plumb
plywood over floor
tile floor
Permanently fit & plumb basin
Paint plasterwork
Fit shower screen
Paint woodwork and fit new doors as necessary
New light fitting/pull switch
hang mirror etc

Cheers

Paul.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeFaeGlesga

The camping idea sounds good.... thanks for the list - just what I was
looking for. Gives me an idea how to proceed.

Joe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeFaeGlesga

What d'you mean April....we've won it already (-;

Joe.